Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 07:28 PM   #61
Platinum Member

And you know this how?
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:22 AM   #62
Platinum Member

No one (outside of WGO of course) seems to know for sure except maybe The Fitrv couple, but social media is a buz with it being the production version. It seems like WGO is trying the social media method to build excitement and having an official announcement at Expo makes sense for the product vs a typical RV show. If they do introduce it I find it disappointing that WGO hasn't provided updates to those like me that completed the survey, officially requested info, and I even called a couple times to find out. I was very serious about buying one but I didn't want to miss this season and they wouldn't provide official info, so we bought a 144 based RT Agile. Non custom short Sprinter options are rare (RT and PW) and the custom lead times are very long so a WGO product in this size could do well.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:47 AM   #63
Platinum Member

Well, when they came out with last year's prototype, they were pretty much saying to me that it will never happen. It's a buzz thing. WGO is a very conservative operation, so a product like this would be pretty surprising. But who knows? Stranger things have happened - somebody green-lighted the Rialta after all.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:44 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
And you know this how?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXBVMVRB...en-by=thefitrv

Plus i've had 3 contacts inside Winnebago tell me it's coming. Weirdly, everyone has been super secretive about it. I'm guessing it has to do with some new battery/solar/gen tech they are first launching in this rig.
kaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaster View Post
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXBVMVRB...en-by=thefitrv

Plus i've had 3 contacts inside Winnebago tell me it's coming. Weirdly, everyone has been super secretive about it. I'm guessing it has to do with some new battery/solar/gen tech they are first launching in this rig.
Well that last one had that tech in it. They have been looking at what James has been doing, and with Xantrex, and they do have that supposed contract with Lithionics, so nothing would be terribly shocking. So maybe they are finally putting together their own "ecotrek" type package. But don't get your hopes up.

But considering the size of their van shop, they are going to need to expand to add another product in my view. I guess it will come down to public reaction and their forecast of the economy to go forward with such an investment.

FWIW, they are always secretive about these product reveals. They worked on the Promaster (actually an imported Ducato) for 1 year before anyone knew anything was going on. They have a skunkworks facility of sorts for these prototypes.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #66
Platinum Member

FYI. I just talked to Winnebago this morning and they are indeed going to produce the Sprinter 4x4 Adventure concept. No details yet but it will be revealed officially in a couple of weeks in September. They are prepping the communications to those that requested an update so if you are on the list you will hear soon.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #67
Platinum Member

For those who participated in Winnebago's Adventure Vehicle desired features survey there was a question asking 'Would you like to be notified when this vehicle becomes available?'

This morning I received the production release announcement from Winnebago:
You are receiving this email because you have expressed an interest in Winnebago.

We know you’ve been waiting for it: our all-new 4x4 adventure vehicle, it’s functional, it’s beefy and we’re so excited to introduce it to you!

Tune into our Facebook page on Monday morning (11 AM EDT) to watch the grand reveal.

Monday, September 18 live stream schedule:
11:00 AM EDT: New lineup reveal with Winnebago's Brian Hazelton
11:30 AM EDT: New Class B 4x4 walkthrough
1:00 PM EDT: New Class A Gas walkthrough
3:00 PM EDT: New Class A Diesel walkthrough
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Thanks for sharing.....
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #69
Platinum Member

Interesting that they chose to use the Espar diesel hydronic system for both water and space heating. And that they chose to go back to AGM batteries due to reliability issues with the lithium system.

Graywater tank freeze protected using glycol loop from Espar system. Seitz insulated windows. Cassette toilet inside the heated vehicle insulated shell. Lot's of winter use features.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #70
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Interesting that .....

And that they chose to go back to AGM batteries due to reliability issues with the lithium system.

Smart move.

Li are not good in cold weather anyway,
and WGO have repeatedly mention cold weather use of this RV.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Just as I predicted, the "new" van is just a tweak of the earlier concept van. It looks like a solid offering, but no radical departure in technology as some were forecasting. No 2nd alternator and no lithium battery. Just tried and true stuff - Russ was emphasizing durability, no features or luxury.

What is a departure from their existing lines, is not what is added, but what is deleted. No propane, no black tank, no TV, no aircon (unless you get that as an option), no microwave. All laminate cabinetry. Cassette toilet. No generator. Espar heating & water heating. 2000 watt inverter standard. Induction cooker standard. 200 watts solar standard. 4x4 standard.

I like it overall. Definately going after a younger demographic (or folks with a younger mindset). Not sure the kids featured in the ads can really afford a $134k+ van.

Would I buy one? Maybe version 2. I'd like to see a couple improvements - a single touchscreen control center (like on Era) would be nice. Some clothes storage - either hanging bar, locker or cabinet/drawers.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #72
Platinum Member

This is a pretty solid van with a pretty hefty price tag. A few really nice features:
  • Going with Espar for diesel heat and hot water makes perfect sense. The concept used propane and was only used for hot water and heat. This espar system makes perfect sense so you've only got one fuel source!
  • Routing of the pipes for the heat over the grey tank helps to prevent freezing
  • Those Seitz/Dometic Windows!!! Those are super nice! Too bad they aren't on the rear also.
  • Cassette toilet!
  • No TV and microwave taking up space that won't be used.
  • AC as an option. Not everyone needs AC.

A few negatives:
  • I'm not really a fan of the new bed as the old mechanical system for raising and lowering the bed would have been fine (and probably couldn't malfunction). It also looks like you can't leave it in a higher position as the top and bottom are fixed.
  • The dinette is still pretty cramped. I've seen Euro RVs with a bathroom in the same spot that have a bigger dinette area.
  • Holy hell that price!

Dropping lithium, but adding 3 AGMs also doesn't make a ton of sense to me. My guess is they couldn't fit the lithium inside the van so they opted to go external with AGM. While it will probably be fine, they could have gone with a small 200ah lithium to provide the same usable power as the 3 AGMs and found a place to install it inside the van.

Also, that induction burner is going to prove to be a big issue for Winnebago as if the battery is lower in voltage, that inverter is NOT going to like the 120amp draw when you fire it up. It's going to work okay for short 2-3 minutes to boil water, but if you want to cook something that's like 10-15 minutes, my guess is that if you don't have fully charged batteries that inverter is going to complain or just shut off.
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Not sure the kids featured in the ads can really afford a $134k+ van.
I'm 34 years old and I'm their target market, and there is no way I am buying one. I really don't understand the pricing on this one. Yes, you are starting with a more expensive van, but 134k (and lets 100k out the door), that's more than I paid for my 2 bed 2 bath 1500 sqft home. The target market is more inclined to continue doing what they have been doing, which is building their own for much much less. I have a spreadsheet to build basically my own version of this, and the cost without the van is around 12-17k depending on what options I have. This include induction, 400ah of lithium, inverter, cassette toilet, wiring, plumbing, ect. Basically the conversion of the van. Add a brand new 50k sprinter (which I don't plan on using, I'd go with a promaster), and that still only puts me at 62-67k or 42-47k on a brand new promaster. Sure, I'm doing the labor myself, but the cost of the components is retail. I'm sure Winnebago gets the parts much much cheaper. Even with labor cost, the markup is very high.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
This is a pretty solid van with a pretty hefty price tag.
When you look at the competition (Outsidevan) the price looks reasonable.

OSV Core conversion, including a 4×4 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 144 starting at $89,000

All Core vans are Graphite Grey or Stone Grey

An OutsideVan model similarly equipped is much more expensive.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #75
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
I'm 34 years old and I'm their target market, and there is no way I am buying one.
How did you figure you are their target market?

I see this as a luxury product (like most RVs) for folks with disposable income or a self-employed professional (consultant, IT mobile, photographer) who wants a weekend toy.

Don't think Winnebago is targeting those who would otherwise build their own.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #76
Platinum Member

I'm certain that WGO would be happy if they were getting newly empty nesters with this one - those 45-55 years old with significant income. Young enough to do outdoor adventuring, but old enough to pay for something like this.

Showing 20 somethings having a good time in something like this is foolish if you think rationally about it, but from a marketing standpoint, I get it. It's meant to rattle you about your mid-life crisis - they'd rather you buy this than a new Corvette.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post
How did you figure you are their target market?

I see this as a luxury product (like most RVs) for folks with disposable income or a self-employed professional (consultant, IT mobile, photographer) who wants a weekend toy.

Don't think Winnebago is targeting those who would otherwise build their own.
I'm middle aged, loves the outdoors (biking, bouldering, kayaking, hiking), no kids, debt free, disposable income, works in IT and wants a weekend toy. Had this been in line with the pricing of the Travato, I would be in line at a dealer putting a deposit down. If the travato 59G bed was taller and I could store my bike inside the van like the fit RV people's custom van, I would have owned a travato already.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #78
Platinum Member

I think the Revel pricing (when you look at the content) is consistent with what you would pay for a product from OutsideVan or Sportsmobile.

The 4x4 option, tire / wheel package, and bed lift alone add a fair amount to the price that are not available on current class B's from WGO.

As the product manager Russ indicated, you are also getting the Winnebago dealer network for service as well as a manufacturer that will be here for the long haul.

Having build diagrams and wiring schematics is one of the things WGO does very well.

I can't imagine what Advanced RV would charge for a similar build-out?
Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #79
Platinum Member

I'm glad that WGO is finally testing the conservative North American RV market with this very different build.

They went for more subtle markings on the outside compare the previous concept but added windows on the cheeks.

Original concept:

Production model:

Although a crosswise bed with alcoves is not for me, I like the bed system that they designed, combining the bed lift system from the very reliable italian manufacturer (that we've used for 4 years without a glitch) with two fixed (top and bottom of bed) platforms.

And nice molded panels for the well designed contemporary interior

They do have a interference problem for solar panels and potential aerodynamic issues on the congested roof:

Looking forward to see that beast in person!

More links and photos on my FB album: https://www.facebook.com/pg/kamperva...86220654972013

And the previous concept van:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/kamperva...07603536167060

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #80
Bronze Member

I like those windows on the build out cheeks to accommodate the bed. The Revel is something I want to see. Might be the almost perfect weekender for bird hunting etc. I will have to check out the crossway bed though as it may not work for me. Think I can live with the cassette toilet for intended purpose of weekend trips.
GBUSMCR is offline   Reply With Quote