Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Era 70C - with slide out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Winnebago introduced a new ERA 70C model with a slideout at the Louisville RV Show.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2013/12/winne ... ouisville/

Don't know any more than this:

Quote:
• The Era 70C is Winnebago’s first Class B to feature a slideout. The Era, built on the 11,030-pound Mercedes-Benz chassis, has best-in-class features such as hot water radiant heat, 5.7 cubic foot three-way double door refrigerator, three-burner cooktop, chrome finish aluminum wheels, 13,500 BTU high-efficiency air conditioner with a 2,800 watt heat strip auxiliary heating unit. A USB charging station for phones and electronics is featured in the galley, and an exterior storage shower conversion package with adjustable rear storage rack system provides massive storage space for four sets of golf clubs.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Era 70C - with slide out

Looks like the new Winnebago Era 70C slide out model is in this photo:

Hopefully we'll get to see more photos or a video soon.

The layout as described in the info Davydd posted and shown in the photo could be similar to Leisure Travel's Sprinter Class B with a slideout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winnebago Era 70C.jpg (50.6 KB, 5707 views)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Platinum Member

With what you can see in the photos the slideout must be where the LTV Free Spirit SS slideout is (where else could it be?) and the wall of cabinets is similar so the bath must be in the back. A clone?

Massive storage for four sets of golf clubs? Here's my logic. If I could afford this, I would golf at a pretty nice club with facilities. I'd use the facilities and drive to and from the club with my Cadillac Escalade.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I wonder what the price tag on that would be. The advantage is class "C" space in a "B", which makes things feel less cramped, especially during inclement weather. The disadvantage is the complete lack of stealth, unless one slept in the aisle.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22
I wonder what the price tag on that would be. The advantage is class "C" space in a "B", which makes things feel less cramped, especially during inclement weather. The disadvantage is the complete lack of stealth, unless one slept in the aisle.
It will be much less than LTV's entry. The lack of stealth when the bed is out is a deal breaker, plus the $$$$. One thing about the LTV that we know, the bed can be used with the slide in, but then you're doing the climb over and in thing.

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

That is something I didn't know... if the bed can be used with the slide in, that would be useful, just so that taking a nap while parallel-parked is possible.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is something I didn't know... if the bed can be used with the slide in, that would be useful, just so that taking a nap while parallel-parked is possible.
I didn't either. How long is the bed that it can do that? It would have to be no longer than other crosswise beds, I would think, and they tend to be pretty short.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #8
Platinum Member

My statement about the bed in the LTV being useful when the slide is in is based on an owner telling me that back in September in Ouray, Co.
I haven't actually seen this for myself in person

Old 12-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I zoomed in on the storage in the new Winnebago Era 70C slide out model.

I know my wife would love to have drawers for some of her clothing in the van. I've been looking to see where I could add drawers in my current van.

This will be a interesting model to see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Era 70C Louisville cabinets.JPG (180.9 KB, 5223 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Platinum Member

More photos

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 01.JPG (55.0 KB, 5187 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 03.JPG (43.1 KB, 5187 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 05.JPG (33.2 KB, 5186 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 06.JPG (42.1 KB, 5185 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 07.JPG (39.6 KB, 5184 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 08.JPG (32.3 KB, 5185 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 10.JPG (41.0 KB, 5184 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 11.JPG (30.9 KB, 5186 views)
Old 12-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I can't tell if there are any windows in the rear of the van, or not. Maybe it is just blackout in the outside pic as the rear side window is pretty big for the bathroom. DW would have some trouble with the high, almost full length cabinets and lack of window, I think. She is a bit claustrophobic, and that kind of layout really gets to her, even if the other side is open with a window. It doesn't bother me, but I am nosy and like to be able to look out all sides from most areas of the van.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Be interesting to see this unit in person. That looks like an awfully narrow bed though. Nice bath area, nice kitchen area

Old 12-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I doubt there are any windows at all in the back. The sliding door has a window on the passenger side, There is a window in the slideout behind the sofa bed and there may be a window over the kitchen counter if it is like the LTV Free Spirit SS. Sprinter converters lately for appearance have been putting in tinted window glass to make it look as if the windows are continuous. What you see to the rear of the slide is a fake window as is the fake window where the shower is.

This plan is very similar to the Liesure Travel Vans Free Spirit SS. The LTV has fake windows on both sides and in the back doors.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #14
Platinum Member

To get this done to Mercedes's very strict guidelines. The upfitter will order the van to be ordered with two sliding doors. The left door gets chucked and the fiberglass slide added (I'm guessing it uses a Schwintek slide system.) This is why the bed is so narrow. This also forces either a rear kitchen or a rear bath layout.

Of course, this forces the maker to spec out a 24 foot extended-body 3500 Sprinter van because of the need for space between the rear doors and the bathroom partition, which ends up used as a place for storage. Both the Free Spirit SS and the ERA are using this type of platform, although the Free Spirit SS is ~$135,000 and the ERA is almost half that price, assuming street prices.

I am of two minds... I do like the driver's side door slide because it does add significantly to the room in the vehicle. However, unless the van is being used by only one person sleeping on the floor (which seems possible... perhaps one might take a small bedroll to drop down), there is no stealth ability. If someone never plans to take a nap while parallel parked, this van has almost as much space as a small "C" when the slide is out. However, there may be times where one doesn't want to give up their spot if they want to crash (say they got to a small town convention in the wee hours of the morning and are parallel parked before the festivities start, and want to sleep for a bit.) Extending the slide would then be a road hazard.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Platinum Member

If there are no windows in the back of these, what do they do for emergency exit? Back doors still open and hinge away part of the bathroom?
Old 12-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
Platinum Member

You can check out the photo gallery on the Free Spirit SS and you'll see there are no back windows or exit. There is one photo showing the back doors opened. I don't see any possible exit in the back.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I'm not 100% sure about this but my understanding is that there is a requirement for there to be at least one secondary means of escape on a wall other than the primary means of escape or located in the roof. I haven't come across any other exit location requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster
If there are no windows in the back of these, what do they do for emergency exit? Back doors still open and hinge away part of the bathroom?
I don't know how you figured that out ................................

I don't know if that door is the designated secondary means of escape in the ERA 70 C or not but it is an option. I figured it might be for wet storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 09.JPG (27.0 KB, 1512 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 12.JPG (43.8 KB, 1512 views)
File Type: jpg Winnebago ERA 70C 13.JPG (44.8 KB, 1512 views)
Old 12-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I'm sure that's their secondary exit. Can't tell, but is that assembly with the hooks and outlets on it a sliding door or stationary? Probably stationary.
Also I wonder if that box over on the driver's side of the rear area is where the water pump and winterization setup is, along with possibly the fresh water tank? The fresh water tank on our 70A is underneath the sliding door area on the passenger side with the pump and winterization setup directly above it under the kitchen cabinet.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #19
Platinum Member

The second exit in the back doesn't seem to exist in the LTV Free Spirit SS.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
To get this done to Mercedes's very strict guidelines. The upfitter will order the van to be ordered with two sliding doors. The left door gets chucked and the fiberglass slide added (I'm guessing it uses a Schwintek slide system.) This is why the bed is so narrow. This also forces either a rear kitchen or a rear bath layout.

Of course, this forces the maker to spec out a 24 foot extended-body 3500 Sprinter van because of the need for space between the rear doors and the bathroom partition, which ends up used as a place for storage. Both the Free Spirit SS and the ERA are using this type of platform, although the Free Spirit SS is ~$135,000 and the ERA is almost half that price, assuming street prices.

I am of two minds... I do like the driver's side door slide because it does add significantly to the room in the vehicle. However, unless the van is being used by only one person sleeping on the floor (which seems possible... perhaps one might take a small bedroll to drop down), there is no stealth ability. If someone never plans to take a nap while parallel parked, this van has almost as much space as a small "C" when the slide is out. However, there may be times where one doesn't want to give up their spot if they want to crash (say they got to a small town convention in the wee hours of the morning and are parallel parked before the festivities start, and want to sleep for a bit.) Extending the slide would then be a road hazard.
If you look closely it appears the Winnebago ERA 70C is built on the 170" WB regular body not extended. The LTV Free Spirit SS is definitely a regular body. The other two ERA models are extended body.