Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Winnebago Era Recognized as #1 Class B Model

Winnebago Industries' Era Recognized as #1 Class B Model in North America

-- Growth More Than Doubled --

Quote:
FOREST CITY, Iowa, March 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Era model from Winnebago Industries, Inc., has been recognized by Statistical Surveys, Inc., a retail reporting service in Grand Rapids, Mich., as the number one Class B motorhome model in North America with the largest volume growth in Class B motorhome retail registrations during calendar 2012. In the motorhome retail registration reports issued for December of 2012 for the U.S. and Canada, the Era model was listed as the top selling Class B model in calendar 2012, with market share of 16.0% compared to 7.6% for calendar 2011. Winnebago Industries' volume growth was 167% above retail registrations during calendar 2011 compared to industry growth of 28%.

"We have worked hard to develop a great Class B product, and the Era model growth reflects the product development successes we have had to date," said Winnebago Industries' Vice President of Sales and Product Management Scott Degnan . "Despite our success, we are not content to rest on our laurels. We are preparing to launch an exciting new product segment into Winnebago Industries' Class B lineup at our upcoming Dealer Days event scheduled for April 29-31, 2013 in Las Vegas. We will continue to look for innovative changes that will enhance our products and anticipate even more excitement as we go forward. We congratulate our loyal employees for their dedicated service and our great dealer partners for making the Era a huge success in the Class B arena."
SOURCE Winnebago Industries, Inc.
RELATED LINKS
http://www.winnebagoind.com
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Era Recognized as #1 Class B Model

O.K., let me see how I can say this. We looked at the Winnie ERA very closely because of the price it was offered to us. It was certainly the least expensive of the Sprinter based Class B's we looked at. It might have even been the best value and quite possibly was. There was a lot of bang for your buck for the $85K they were asking for a new one and quite a few nice features.

What it definitely was NOT was the best designed, nor was/is it the nicest. If someone was looking for a Class B, I definitely wouldn't steer them away from the ERA, but I would caution them to read the reports about the unit. The first place I would have them go is to Google and do a search "Winnebago ERA Problems", and read some of the top results for that search. The first one reads like an actual nightmare. The owner detailed his experience very well with lots of dates and what was done. I'm not going to say that he was all correct in his report, because IIRC, they finally offered him his money back, and he refused because he had bought a "demo model" (which is technically new) and wanted them to replace it with a Brand New unit. Nonetheless the details of his experience were awful. And there are many stories about it.

I would then tell someone that despite reading all that and knowing about the problems, I was still considering the ERA because of the price and the features--until my wife put her veto on the Era becasue of the quality of materials they use for the cabinetry and the offgassing of those materials.

Anyway, just because someone sells the most units doesn't mean they are the best rig, especially when they are the cheapest. What I've heard through the grapevine is that the ERA was designed for the purpose of increasing Winebago's volume with Mercedes Benz to get them to a certain level. Whether or not what I've heard is true or not is another question.

I know that Winnebago is capable of building a quality small RV. The Rialta was an excellent unit by most reports I've heard.

Anyway that is my two cents worth on the topic of the Winnie ERA.

..........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I think the report you are inferring about that is quite lengthy is based on a previous model before Winnebago took a year off hiatus to regroup the ERA. Even at that it was a suspect report with no final resolution by the author. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

I actually think the ERA 70A floor plan is one of the most functional B plans out there. There are a few things I would change such as I see no need in B travel to have two TV sets and the one on the kitchen counter is in the way, IMO. I'd probably leave out the bed wedge filler and use its storage space for a pull out pantry.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The press release isn't very clear. Number one in what? Growth or Sales? Which model - the 70A or 70X?
it goes on to say "Era model was listed as the top selling Class B model in calendar 2012" and that makes me wonder what Thor Industries is reporting

2012 Market Share breakdown:

Roadtrek Motorhomes Inc. 36.3% market share.
Pleasure-Way Industries Ltd. 19.6% market share.
Thor Industries Inc. 18.2% market share.
Winnebago Industries Inc. at 16.5% market share.

Thor came out ahead of Winnebago and the only B that Thor Industries makes as far as I know is the Airstream Interstate and Interstate Ext. Winnebago has the ERA 70A and 70X.

Could some B+ models be in Thor's B totals? http://thormotorcoach.com/product-lines ... Motorhomes
Or, are their totals only B's but the split between Interstate and Interstate Ext sales allow one of the Winnebago models to claim the top spot?

A mystery, maybe?

Re: that Winnebago owners site - http://winnebagoera.com/ - awful experience. Take the refund and run would be my advice. Search for another bargain elsewhere. Demo models are discounted because they have seen more use than a new model. It looks to me like that ERA went through a lot or torsional stress (twisting) to have things pop off like that. Make me wonder what it went through. Maybe brutal test drives and tens of thousands of RV show visitors.

Winnebago stopped producing the ERA for a year after the model noted in the complaint and came back building on the new 3500 chassis with upgraded interior materials.

------------------------------------------------

Marketing spin.....

I guess the message here is to not pay too much attention to the spin from companies. Everyone has the best something or other. it is better to find forums and read through actual owner experiences when making your decisions
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Rok
Platinum Member

You make a good point Davydd, but there were lots of other reports that were not real good. When I talked to a fairly knowledgeable salesperson at an MB dealership in our area he said that the mechanics in his shop hated working on the Eras because Winnebago fooled around with the stuff in the chassis a lot more than the other Class B manufacturers. He also mentioned that MB was considering cutting Winnebago off from using their vans to produce motorhomes. If that was true, there would be some quality issues that a new owner wouldn't want to contend with.

Like you, I really liked the layout, except for the extra TV. When I saw that, I thought for sure they must have made it to pop off the counter, but it was a fixture right in the middle of the prep table in your galley. It seemed really strange to me. I also really liked the extra fold out mini bed. Like all Sprinter B's it drove like a dream. I also lided the way they had the pull out storage under the bed in the back. It had/has a lot of features for a very low price.

That being said, there were some things the they just missed on. The way our Great West vans bathroom doors fold out to form a little changing/toweling off room could have easily been done with the Era, too. It seemed like it was just missing.

We both chose the GW Legend over the Winnie ERA for a reason. We percieved that it was the best rig for the money for us--at least for me, maybe you had other reasons.

...........Rocky
Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Winnebago was not making their B when I was shopping nor had they had the 70A plan to look at. Since they started remaking the Era it is an entirely differently finished B from all those old reports. I'm just saying they should not be discounted because of their mistaken past. A lot of companies including Roadtrek where screwing up left and right with the new V6 Mercedes when it first came out.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Honestly, I can't afford a new Chev chassis class B, let alone a Sprinter based model. Hypothetically, if I had the money to buy any class B make/model I wanted, I would still have to consider a new $85,000 Winnebago Era Sprinter based model. I'm sure I could deal with some of the layout shortcomings mentioned. I don't think they wouldn't bug me enough to cause me to spend thousands of dollars more, for a layout with those features included. Hypothetically.
Davydd's take on rating a manufacturer on past problems is more than fair. I think a company that admits and learns from their mistakes, is a company that's worth another look.
Just my $0.02 on it.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have to agree with the value of the ERA. We saw one at the Mpls show and it was far and away the best value. $80K vs $110 to $130K? I can put up with, or alter, a lot of things for $40K.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Bronze Member

I have the 2012 Winnebago ERA 70X model. At the time I purchased mine I have to admit that I didn't do as much research as I should have. Heck, I didn't even know there were RV FORUMS out there. I've seen some different models over the years at some RV shows. I liked the Sprinter style vans because I thought they had more room than say the Chev. or GM chassis.

One of the main reasons I went with the ERA at the time was because there was a dealer near me so I didn't have to drive hours and hours away to see them. As it turns out ... this is one of the worst dealers out there and on hindsight I would have travelled a 1000 miles if I knew then what I know now about them.

Setting that aside ... I still like the ERA. Have I seen other floor plans from other manufacturers that I like better. Absolutely!! I would be looking at the new Leisure Travel Van's Free Spirit SS with the side slide ... or even some of their Unity models. I also like the Roadtrek Etrek model. But what I have meets my needs and will for many years to come.

Everyone has different likes and dislike, wants and needs and of course budgets. Most important thing is to get out there and drive with the wind to your back and enjoy life.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover
Karsty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
Platinum Member

I like your style. Eloquent. Confident. No regrets.
Well done.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Rok
Platinum Member

Very good points, Karsty.

After our initial voyage, our attitudes have changed quite a bit. We really enjoyed our trip, and it gave a much better perspective of what is out there and what is "best". (In my opinion what is best for one person might be miserable for another.)

Initially I would't have considered a Leisure Unity, but I would now--however, my wife wouldn't. She took our SE to a number of places that the Unity would't have fit, and a number of places where even your Winnie (being 1' 4" longer) wouldn't have fit. There were even a few times when our 22' 9" unit seemed too big, but they were very few.

There are a lot of different models out there, and that is because there are a great many differences in tastes.

The one thing that should be pointed out is that if our experience in RV parks is any indication, is that motorhomes in general are much less popular than travel trailers, and Class B's are very rare compared to larger rigs. So our tastes as Class B'ers are much more similar than they are different.

We made our choice based on our perceived needs and we got pretty close to what we needed.

After our first outing, we are really fans of the MB platform.

Of course, opinions can change.

.........Rocky
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I talked with a rep at an ERA dealer yesterday. Winniebago is backlogged for at least five months with ERA orders, and dealers are aware of this. After the 2013s are gone, it will be waiting for the 2014s, which will be grey or black.

Interesting thing is that the other "B" makers have started to feel the heat from WGO. Roadtrek has started offering to toss in their 240 watt solar panel and charger with purchases... not sure what models, but definitely the RS Adventurous.

For me, it is a hard choice, since the ERA has a nice floor plan with the 70A, but I took a relative to compare rigs, and what won out was the Roadtrek RS. It is more expensive, but what sold the vehicle was the better warranty (four years instead of one), the shorter length (since I'm storing the rig in a driveway, just the two added feet can mean the van may have a part protruding in the street which would honk the local HOA off), and the solar panel and charging system. Roadtreks also have an "engine generator" as an option (which to me is just a fancy way of saying they have a 300 amp alternator running off the engine, but what do I know?) Between that and the LP gas genset, I will be well covered for outings in the Texas heat. I also like RT's safety record (they use forward facing seats because those pass the NTSHA safety standards.)
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsty
One of the main reasons I went with the ERA at the time was because there was a dealer near me so I didn't have to drive hours and hours away to see them. As it turns out ... this is one of the worst dealers out there and on hindsight I would have travelled a 1000 miles if I knew then what I know now about them.
Wasn't Sicard in West Lincoln, was it?