Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #41
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Two hours and one minute satisfies the definition of "several" hours.
I think you stated it wouldn’t run without the generator or being “hooked” up
Enough said
TRFranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:47 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFranta View Post
I think you stated it wouldn’t run without the generator or being “hooked” up
Enough said

You may want to make sure you add a quote to original statements so everyone knows who is being referred to and can go back as see the complete original post.

Could you have been referring to a post by ponti 33602, not cruising7388, about "not running" the AC?

This is the statement from ponti which states you need to be plugged in to run the AC OVERNIGHT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602
We have 400 Lithium batteries and no generator on our 2017 Agile. We rarely use AC but if we did you would need to be plugged in. The lithiums work great for everything else but they will not run your AC over night.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #43
Platinum Member

With a full charge you'd probably get close to 6 hours continuous A/C compressor runtime with the Pure3 setup. 8700Wh/1200W*80%

It's kind of refreshing that they'd underestimate it. We're more use to exaggerated claims.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:26 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You may want to make sure you add a quote to original statements so everyone knows who is being referred to and can go back as see the complete original post.

Could you have been referring to a post by ponti 33602, not cruising7388 about "not running" the AC?

This is the statement from ponti which states you need to be plugged in to run the AC OVERNIGHT.

Or have your GU kick on. Many folks that approach us have c’s and a’s that are use to always being plugged or on generator. I never want to mislead folks with them thinking they can run overnight on just the batteries.

2017 RT Agile SS
ponti33602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
With a full charge you'd probably get close to 6 hours continuous A/C compressor runtime with the Pure3 setup. 8700Wh/1200W*80%

It's kind of refreshing that they'd underestimate it. We're more use to exaggerated claims.

Interesting about that time calculation, as it sure would go against past history of some pretty wild run time exaggeration by other brands.

I wonder if they are shortening the battery "only" run time because they likely start the engine before they reach the absolute low end of the battery capacity. It would make sense for them to start it at least some early, and they may want to stay more midrange.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:04 AM   #46
Bronze Member

I am still in the research mode, I will own a new B within the next 6 months. I'm curoius, I have looked and researched the Travato, Roadtrek/Hymer, and the Coachmen Crossfit.
From my research and test drives, the Crossfit is the only model available with rear dually's, the best Lithium battery available, and the nicest cabinetry I've seen in a motor home.
Question, am I missing something, I've read every post in this 5 page thread and don't see anyone mentioning the Crossfit? Am I missing something?
B-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:07 AM   #47
Silver Member

The Crossfit is a nice looking and decent driving coach with lovely cabinetry in a market with stiffening competition. Here are my two cents on the Transit: Compared to the ProMaster, the combination of the Transit van being about 3.5 to 4 inches narrower inside and the drivers seat being unable to swivel around to become living space (due to the emergency brake location), the interior feels considerably more constrained. The current Transit design inherently limits the Class B floorplans being offered on the platform. At 22' long, almost a foot of extra length is taken up by the longer hood compared to the ProMaster. This doesn't contribute to extra living space for the Ford.

Second, the floor height is about 6" higher due to the need for a driveshaft. A narrow 22' class B motorhome should not need rear duallys - a B+ or C yes, but a Class B, no. It's mostly a waste of steel which adds extra weight and can also affect drivability compared to a non-dually. Compare the turning radius and OCCC of a Transit Class B vs a comparable ProMaster.

The original engine available with the Crossfit was the normally aspirated Ford V6, which was rather underpowered for the application. Now that the EcoBoost V6 is available, that should help move the product.

Further, until the 2019 model year you couldn’t buy the Crossfit without getting the increasingly undesirable Onan gasoline generator. Now that the power options have evolved with availability of a GU and lithium batteries (but no autostart to my knowledge as of this writing), it should also make the Crossfit more attractive to prospective buyers.

Finally, there have been issues, at least initially, with the driveshafts on Transits due to what appears to be some poor design/materials choices by the manufacturer. I seem to remember hearing that the issue has been fixed, but do your research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RV View Post
I am still in the research mode, I will own a new B within the next 6 months. I'm curoius, I have looked and researched the Travato, Roadtrek/Hymer, and the Coachmen Crossfit.
From my research and test drives, the Crossfit is the only model available with rear dually's, the best Lithium battery available, and the nicest cabinetry I've seen in a motor home.
Question, am I missing something, I've read every post in this 5 page thread and don't see anyone mentioning the Crossfit? Am I missing something?
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #48
Bronze Member

The CrossFit had been top of our B list but we just visited the dealer and saw a freshly delivered unit, without the Li3.
Compared to the Travato K that we also looked at, the CrossFit floorplan is not as good for us. Coachmen need to do a new floorplan as the mid cabin bathroom uses a lot of space with the bathroom not being that big (the Paseo is a bit bigger).
We liked the Ford driver position, the Sync 3 and the eco boost but.....we were left a bit disappointed and with a new appreciation for the K and the KL.
Britmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #49
Platinum Member

After owning our Sportsmobile Class B now for a year, I have gained a new perspective on AC use and generators. Our AC unit is so loud in the van that it is miserable. It is the loudest sleeping environment I have ever been in. We also don’t have a generator (we chose a 2nd alternator) because they are also miserably loud. I hate camping next to someone with an Onan generator ( or even a quieter Honda for that matter). My goal is to avoid the need for AC as much as possible with good trip planning, good window and roof ventilation, using shade, good fans, etc.. if I am somewhere where the vans quieter AC system isn’t adequate, I am in the wrong place.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RV View Post
We've had our Crossfit for over a year and have been very happy. However, this thread is titled "Winnebago Travato." I don't want to post off-topic, but you can do a search of the entire forum to see my initial evaluation or you can start a new thread if you would like to know more about it.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #51
Bronze Member

I really like the CrossFit
Regular.gas, beautiful cabinetry, on the Ford Transit
I also believe the water tanks are inside
Old 11-23-2018, 07:05 PM   #52
Silver Member

The new options available for 2019 certainly give the CrossFit a HUGE leg up. I only wish they would have taken better advantage of all of that space behind the drivers seat, installing a swivel seat for the driver so that you could use the cab as a front lounge for two with a small table. This is handy when you're on the road with the bed set up and still want to sit inside to work or have coffee, without needing to convert the bed into a rear lounge.

Otherwise, Coachmen has just about nailed it with the CrossFit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFranta View Post
I really like the CrossFit
Regular.gas, beautiful cabinetry, on the Ford Transit
I also believe the water tanks are inside
GigaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:01 PM   #53
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post

Question for you Travato “L” owners (K or G).
If you’re plugged into 120v shore power, does it take over powering your 120v devices like A/C and microwave?
As in all 120 power devices switch to 120v from shore power - Or do those items still run off inverted 120v battery power and the 120v shore power just recharge your lithium batteries?

I ask because I’m wondering if you estimate 6 hours of a/c use on full battery, then maybe it could be extended longer a/c use from a lower amperage 120v power supply?
Example maybe my quiet little Honda 2000 (which is really only 2000 for 20 min then 1600 Watts for continuous load).
I’ve tested it and anything pulling over 13 amps for longer than 20 min will trip it. So it’s really only 1600 Watts on extended use.
My 5th wheel trailer pulls 13-14 amps according to my Amp meter when the 15k btu a/c is on and the 12v converter is on for lights.
using formula V x A = W. That’s about 1600 Watts.
And my trailer won’t continuously run my a/c on that Honda. I bought a “Easy Start” kit from micro-lite which will allow a/c to start (at least when the Honda is operating at full 2000 Watts).
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...r-conditioners

So wondering if the Travato L models just recharge while on shore power and if so would it require more than 13 amps while recharging?

Clear as mud?
I’m hoping I worded that in a way you can understand.
Intent was to extend a/c time longer than 6 hrs.

If so my logic is that may allow a/c all the way through the night by running my quiet Honda 2000 as it would drain the battery slower?
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:10 AM   #54
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaGeek View Post
The new options available for 2019 certainly give the CrossFit a HUGE leg up. I only wish they would have taken better advantage of all of that space behind the drivers seat, installing a swivel seat for the driver so that you could use the cab as a front lounge for two with a small table. This is handy when you're on the road with the bed set up and still want to sit inside to work or have coffee, without needing to convert the bed into a rear lounge.

Otherwise, Coachmen has just about nailed it with the CrossFit.
In other words a CrossFit Li3 with the Travato K floorplan?
Britmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:59 AM   #55
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britmobile View Post
In other words a CrossFit Li3 with the Travato K floorplan?
In my opinion the CrossFit has a much better galley and I actually like that the driver’s seat is unimped especially for us 6 footers
It seems like all the ProMasters all have something jammed right up against the driver’s seat
I do agree that the CrossFit driver’s seat should be able to rotate and there should be a pop up table creating a front lounge. I don’t think this would be too difficult
Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #56
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Question for you Travato “L” owners (K or G).
If you’re plugged into 120v shore power, does it take over powering your 120v devices like A/C and microwave?
As in all 120 power devices switch to 120v from shore power - Or do those items still run off inverted 120v battery power and the 120v shore power just recharge your lithium batteries?

I ask because I’m wondering if you estimate 6 hours of a/c use on full battery, then maybe it could be extended longer a/c use from a lower amperage 120v power supply?
Example maybe my quiet little Honda 2000 (which is really only 2000 for 20 min then 1600 Watts for continuous load).
I’ve tested it and anything pulling over 13 amps for longer than 20 min will trip it. So it’s really only 1600 Watts on extended use.
My 5th wheel trailer pulls 13-14 amps according to my Amp meter when the 15k btu a/c is on and the 12v converter is on for lights.
using formula V x A = W. That’s about 1600 Watts.
And my trailer won’t continuously run my a/c on that Honda. I bought a “Easy Start” kit from micro-lite which will allow a/c to start (at least when the Honda is operating at full 2000 Watts).
https://www.microair.net/products/ea...r-conditioners

So wondering if the Travato L models just recharge while on shore power and if so would it require more than 13 amps while recharging?

Clear as mud?
I’m hoping I worded that in a way you can understand.
Intent was to extend a/c time longer than 6 hrs.

If so my logic is that may allow a/c all the way through the night by running my quiet Honda 2000 as it would drain the battery slower?
These questions and anymore you have will be answered correctly if you go over to the Travato owners and wannabees group on Facebook.
A couple owners have written up how to's, how it works, what works with what etc, etc.
Winnebago has also made some info videos that are on YouTube specific to the L models.
I can't answer your question 100% for sure, but I believe plugging in just recharges not directly runs 120v stuff. In any case, I think your quiet gen idea would work.
We have a 2019 non L Travato K and just love it

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #57
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
These questions and anymore you have will be answered correctly if you go over to the Travato owners and wannabees group on Facebook.
A couple owners have written up how to's, how it works, what works with what etc, etc.
Winnebago has also made some info videos that are on YouTube specific to the L models.
I can't answer your question 100% for sure, but I believe plugging in just recharges not directly runs 120v stuff. In any case, I think your quiet gen idea would work.
We have a 2019 non L Travato K and just love it
Thanks bobojay, I also have a 2019 K (not L version). I also love it - I actually traded out of a 2017 ERA 70a for it because of the whole coach layout and the bathroom feeling much larger.
My only complaint would be it feels under powered compared to the sprinter diesel. The 6 speed transmission downshifts a lot on even small hills.
I’m getting use to that, I’m still very glad I switched.

I never did Facebook. That seems to be where all the Travato info is - as others also suggested.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #58
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Thanks bobojay, I also have a 2019 K (not L version). I also love it - I actually traded out of a 2017 ERA 70a for it because of the whole coach layout and the bathroom feeling much larger.
My only complaint would be it feels under powered compared to the sprinter diesel. The 6 speed transmission downshifts a lot on even small hills.
I’m getting use to that, I’m still very glad I switched.

I never did Facebook. That seems to be where all the Travato info is - as others also suggested.
We also traded a WGO ERA 70A for the Travato. I miss the diesel, but don't miss the Sprinter hassles, and the PM drives better in both our opinions. I'm definitely less sore and stiff after 500 miles in the Promaster.

The only Facebook happenings for me is the 2 big Travato groups. I visit once a day usually and get all the info. Any Travato issue or question can be handled over there. I see a lot of wrong info here about them and the Promaster in general....too many "experts"

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote