Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winnebago Travato new model # 59K

One Winnebago dealer (the one with the 59K YouTube video) has in the comments that the 4-banger AMT diesel is an option for the Travato. The biggest difference is that the generator will be a LP gas model. One can also get the LP gas model in the gasser Travato for a $249 upcharge as well. The diesel's 27 MPG number (as per the ProMaster forums) is tempting.

If I lived in a northern climate, I'd consider the diesel. The turbocharged four cylinder will lose less power at higher elevations. Here in Texas, I'd definitely go for the gasser, just for generator (and air conditioner) run time, as well as the fact that diesel pumps in Austin proper are tougher to get to, since they are combined with gas pumps, and tend to be the first pumps taken at a gas station.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #62
Platinum Member

I'd be willing to wait at the station for an extra 10 mpg but I don't think they will get 27 mpg in a class b form but 25 mpg might be attainable if gently drivin. I too read the Promaster forums. Where did you read 27 mpg? I have read about a guy getting 23 mpg pulling a trailer with motorcycles in it but I think he was using the onboard computer which appears to be generous.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #63
Platinum Member

better 59k pictures

http://www.lazydays.com/rv/new-rvs-for- ... rhomes-003
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #64
Platinum Member

Nice find Gerry. That is a LOT of photos - status is marked as sold .........
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
I'd be willing to wait at the station for an extra 10 mpg but I don't think they will get 27 mpg in a class b form but 25 mpg might be attainable if gently drivin. I too read the Promaster forums. Where did you read 27 mpg? I have read about a guy getting 23 mpg pulling a trailer with motorcycles in it but I think he was using the onboard computer which appears to be generous.
http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/sho ... 18&page=34

I am unsure on the veracity of the claim, but it is something firsthand.

Thanks for the photos from Lazy Daze. They did answer a few questions I had, especially what was under the pull-up doors as one walked in, as well as confirming the size of the wardrobe. The wardrobe is a nice size one for a van, especially as short as that one. The ladder on the back is pretty cool as well, although I'd rather have solar panel space than a rack for kayaks.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:45 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Maybe previously mention in this topic - looks like a compressor fridge as there are no fridge cut-outs on the side.

What are these?

Truma Combi unit? Or a Truma Gas water heater or Gas / electric water heater plus a furnace?

Links: http://www.truma.com/int/en/water-syste ... 0-b-14.php
http://www.truma.net/us/en/heating/over ... ystems.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truma combi maybe.JPG (47.4 KB, 409 views)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #67
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile indicates $5,111 upcharge for a diesel Ford Transit but only $3560 upcharge for a Ram Promaster with diesel engine.

This report: http://vincentric.com/Home/IndustryRepo ... r2014.aspx - download the PDF - shows $3,769 upcharge for a Ram Promaster with diesel engine.

The Ram Promaster 1500 with diesel engine made it onto the Vincentric list of vehicles whose total cost of ownership was lower than their all-gasoline powered counterparts.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:27 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Anyone find out if the new Travato comes with two house batteries?
Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #69
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Anyone find out if the new Travato comes with two house batteries?

I'd bet it doesn't, but can easily be added.

On the Sportsmobile subject, folks that have the ProMaster diesel now are reporting upper 20's in fuel mileage on the highway. This is with the hightop long wheelbase model. The clutch pedal less automated manual trans is really different to get used to. It can be manually shifted if you want.
Otherwise my feeling to do if you want a Sportsmobile is to order your own chassis at your best price and have it shipped to the upfitter directly. A dealer can do this if wanted

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #70
Platinum Member

Upper 20's MPG would be great.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #71
Platinum Member

I think that is the same engine that they use in the Jeep Cherokee with a diesel, and they are rated at 30mpg highway. I think they have a 7 or 8 speed auto in them. A roadtest I saw early on gave an overall test mileage of about 25 mpg or so. A Jeep would probably be about 1/2 the weight of the Travato.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #72
Platinum Member

Official info from Winnebago re: the new Travato 59K aka 259K

They will have a unit on display at the Tampa Supershow in January
It will be in production early Spring.

Highlights:

• Standard Batteries: two group 31 AGM batteries
• Refrigerator: Nova Cool high-efficiency compressor refrigerator, 110V and 12V operation
• Water Heater and Furnace: Truma Combi 4e Plus- Combined hot water and ducted heating system, LP, electric or combined electric and LP with over 90% efficiency. Rapid refresh rate for the 3 gallon tank provides 6 gallon equivalent performance. Quiet, programmable and efficient.
• Optional Solar Charging: ZAMP Expandable system includes a 100 watt panel on the roof and a 350 watt rated (edit: controller). Also provided: connections for up to three panels on the roof* *now deleted from specs, a connection on the side (edit: passenger side) for a customer added portable panel.
• Flooring: cushioned vinyl Beau flooring (no carpet). Removable vinyl flooring mat in bathroom. Carpeted floor mats over vinyl cab floor.
• Sleeping: two beds provide 30” x 80” and 30” x 74.” Fore-to-aft sleeping. Standard sleep system includes pillow top multi-density mattresses, adjustable headrests, and Froli Star System adjustable bed springs.
• Freshwater: 25 gallons (edit: might be 28 gallons)
• Black tank: 13 gallons
• Gray tank: 13 gallons
• Propane: 6 gallons
• Exterior height to top of Air Conditioner: 9’1”
• Available with 3.0L 4 cylinder ecodiesel

I'm confirming that it will have a generator and will post info when I get it.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Marko.I think the $3,500 upcharge for ProMaster is engine only and an additional $1,000 for the trans which must be purchased with the engine.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #74
Platinum Member

They had me right up till 13 gallon grey tank. That is just appalling! I have a hard time dealing with the paltry 15 gallon tank I have right now. Everything else look great, including the diesel and solar options.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:35 AM   #75
Platinum Member

The Achilles heel of the Promaster is going to be tank sizes if the Transit makes any headway in that area. It looks like an every 3 day (maximum) dump task right now if you conserve or use campground facilities. With our much larger tanks in our previous Bs we figured 4 days average. What it all means is it is for a younger active weekender market. They are making no bones about that with big bike racks and kayak racks on the roof. If that is what it is, then it is perfect. I would not want to do any extended touring with that setup.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #76
Platinum Member

Water is heavy, 8.34 lbs per gallon. An extra 20 gallons sloshing around is like carrying another person around.

Functionally, the 59K may have a waste water capacity design advantage over the 59G. I saw a schematic that shows the bathroom sink draining into the black tank on the 59K. On the 59G, the bathroom sink drains into the gray tank. (note: confirm that when the final schematics are published)

Looks like waterless traps on both the 59K and the 59G.

I've had RV's with both paths of draining bathroom sink water. (not in the same RV) I like the idea of draining bathroom sink water into the black tank because it gives you extra water in the black tank which helps when you dump the black tank.

Showering typically uses a lot of water which ends up in your gray tank. This poll http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=25&t=233 indicates 78% of respondents either don't use the shower in their van or prefer a campground shower if available.

59G owners can purge the cold water out of the shower plumbing into the toilet to preserve gray tank capacity. Looks like 59K owners can purge the cold water out of the shower plumbing into the toilet or the bathroom sink to preserve gray tank capacity. (Assuming you don't like to start a shower with cold water)
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #77
Platinum Member

Actually, that's a great tip I hadn't thought about. It's probably a half gallon of cold water before the hot comes on.

Will be interesting to see if they are still using the gray pumpout arrangement. I doubt they are.

I don't think this size gray tank, has anything to do with marketing to a specific demographic. It's just a function of this layout and the options they've elected to keep, such as the generator and all the space it takes up. Couple that with finding room for a second battery and you quickly run out of space underneath. I guess with the switch to this new heating and water heating system, and all the space it saves, plus all the under-bed areas being dedicated for equipment only, I had hopes for bigger tanks.

The other Promasters (Roadtrek & Pleasureway) have gray tanks in the 20 gallon range, which is a lot easier to live with.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #78
Platinum Member

With the advantages of having more dilution in the black tank, and also the ability to use all the tank capacity, is there some reason we haven't seen some go back to the combined tanks (I think maybe the Agile was the last one?) It all winds up in the same place when you dump, as far as we have seen. No grey water on the ground anymore, that we have found, either.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #79
Platinum Member

When that is talked about you'll get comments on cross contamination. That's probably one reason why the kitchen sink drains into the gray tank. A lot of RV's have one vent stack though .....................

Also, I've been showering and had water back up through the shower drain when the gray tank was filled to capacity. You never want the black tank to back up That's probably why that is kept separate.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:04 PM   #80
Platinum Member

I wasn't implying they sized the tanks small like that for marketing. It is just the result of small tanks make them ideal for a weekender B rather than an extended touring B. The tanks by default are probably just right for a Friday to Sunday trip over two nights at a state park. Empty them just as you leave for home. If you toured with it you would be almost always cognizant of having to stop most likely at a campground with a dump station. If you boondocked overnight en route somewhere like at a Walmart you would most likely know your next night would have to be a more formal campground stop or you would be searching for dump stations. We tend to use a little more daily water when we are boondocking away from convenient external facilities. What I am saying it is not relaxing travel with one eye on the gauges all the time.

Do we know the Roadtrek tank sizes yet? I haven't paid attention. The Pleasure-way Lexor Promaster actually had fairly decent tank sizes almost comparable to their former T1N Sprinters. They were OK but not as big as most current Sprinters.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote