Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 11:07 AM   #41
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

Where moved to???
Old 06-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #42
Bronze Member

Default Question for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
I could start a build thread. Are those common here?

I'm not finished yet. I chose the Separett Privy 501 so I could build it into the cabinetry. After using a Nature's Head I knew what I wanted. The Separett is the best I have found.
Jostalli, why not just get another Nature's Head, or is the cost a factor? We used an AirHead composting toilet on our boat, and loved it! Was able to get rid of the holding tank. In our case, with the 59K we'll soon take possession of, we will be installing one of those two toilets, and then combine the black and grey tanks into one bigger grey tank.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #43
Bronze Member

Our take on the 59G (which we originally were buying) and the 59K, which we have on order now. Loved the fold up bed and little "Breakfest Nook" on the 59G. Disliked the Galley, lack of windows on the passenger side, and the ottoman/water storage.

On the 59K the twin beds, for a Couple that love to spoon, were the deal breaker. However, upon further inspection, we believe we can mod an insert to combine the two. This we intend to double as a backrest on at least one side (or make a two piece insert and have a short backrest for both sides). Saw a video of the hardware for a table set up made in, I believe Sweden. It looks easy enough to set up and take down, thus completing this mad mod ensemble. The Galley we fell in love with (just have to figure out how to fit a foot pump in there for better water conservation).
Old 06-16-2015, 05:29 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
Jostalli, why not just get another Nature's Head, or is the cost a factor? We used an AirHead composting toilet on our boat, and loved it! Was able to get rid of the holding tank. In our case, with the 59K we'll soon take possession of, we will be installing one of those two toilets, and then combine the black and grey tanks into one bigger grey tank.
Because I did not like the Nature's Head. The Separett is a superior system.

Here are my main issues with the Nature's Head:
1. Pee bottle. Stains and smells after awhile. Must to take it out and dump somewhere. Small capacity.
2. Long, arduous preparation and dumping. Needs a large amount of coconut coir or peat moss. Need space to store this. See the long process in the video from the Wynn's: http://youtu.be/dYR6GPmDzVM

My overall issue is that you spend so much time prepping the toilet and use so much material to only begin the composting process. RVers are traveling so we just end up tossing the bag in a dumpster when it gets full.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
...On the 59K the twin beds, for a Couple that love to spoon, were the deal breaker. However, upon further inspection, we believe we can mod an insert to combine the two. This we intend to double as a backrest on at least one side (or make a two piece insert and have a short backrest for both sides)...
Make sure to take a lot of pictures of this mod and document it for us here. I, for one, would love to see this.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Will do! Have to take a closer look at it. The trick will be how to secure the inserts to the side of the van when they're being used as back rests.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #47
Bronze Member

Quote:

1. Pee bottle. Stains and smells after awhile. Must to take it out and dump somewhere. Small capacity.
2. Long, arduous preparation and dumping. Needs a large amount of coconut coir or peat moss. Need space to store this. See the long process in the video from the Wynn's: http://youtu.be/dYR6GPmDzVM

My overall issue is that you spend so much time prepping the toilet and use so much material to only begin the composting process. RVers are traveling so we just end up tossing the bag in a dumpster when it gets full.
We saw that video by the Wynn's, and thought to ourselves "that seems like a lot of work to prep coconut core". We have no experience with coconut core, only sphagnum moss. I'm sure you know this but, it has to be sphagnum moss only, not peat moss.

All we ever did was dump the sphagnum moss in, and maybe add a bit of water. Was good for two weeks worth of use for two people, and yes it does compost the s***. I couldn't believe it the first time I dumped it, very earthy smell. Not what I expected. The urine container can be another story. Heavy smell of ammonia when emptying. I'd rinse it out with hot water and dishwashing soap every so often.

Too, for those of you that are concerned about the solids container being dumped into a garbage bag and placed in a dumpster. Trust me, that dumpster probably has used diapers already in it.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:53 AM   #48
Platinum Member

On my old Class C, there were some strategically placed tabs of Velcro sewn to the back of the cushions and also affixed to a bulkhead that kept the cushions in place. That was for the dinette bed. You just needed to be gentle and carefully pry the cushions off the wall but they lasted 16 years and were still working as designed when we sold it last month.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:

I think alot of people have this romantic idea that these things are just perfect for the RV - no fuss, no muss and no smell and so environmentally friendly. Largely people don't know about the downsides and if it's really practical for their style of traveling. It may be a good choice for a few, but most would be better served with a black tank.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Default Kayak Racks

Anybody use theirs yet? Pictures? Hints on how to get a boat up there?

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Follow theFitRV.com. They have same issue with kayak racks for their yet-to-be-delivered 59g. James had heard of a Fiamma branded roller accessory. You can email him on their website.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Follow theFitRV.com. They have same issue with kayak racks for their yet-to-be-delivered 59g. James had heard of a Fiamma branded roller accessory. You can email him on their website.
Thanks. I did notice that and am waiting for them to post something. In the mean time, I was just curious if anyone here had tried. If you look at the Fiamma brochure, they show several Ducatos with kayaks on them but they don't even mention the rack. Bike rack yes, kayak rack no.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
Old 06-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Quote:
We saw that video by the Wynn's, and thought to ourselves "that seems like a lot of work to prep coconut core". We have no experience with coconut core, only sphagnum moss. I'm sure you know this but, it has to be sphagnum moss only, not peat moss.

All we ever did was dump the sphagnum moss in, and maybe add a bit of water. Was good for two weeks worth of use for two people, and yes it does compost the s***. I couldn't believe it the first time I dumped it, very earthy smell. Not what I expected. The urine container can be another story. Heavy smell of ammonia when emptying. I'd rinse it out with hot water and dishwashing soap every so often.

Too, for those of you that are concerned about the solids container being dumped into a garbage bag and placed in a dumpster. Trust me, that dumpster probably has used diapers already in it.
I am using a composting toilet with coco fiber. I prep it before a trip, Niki Wynn made it look way harder than it needs to be. I simply put it in a small tupperware container with water and let it sit for 30 minutes. It absorbs all the water and becomes the consistency of soil. I have a 16 inch by 6 inch tupperware that when full will last me about 1-2 weeks of use. I think composting is so much more pleasant that dumping tanks etc. I wish people were more educated about composting toilets and the fact that they are way better than black tanks.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:05 PM   #54
Platinum Member

I found it on a UK Fiamma dealer site, but not on any Fiamma sites. It is on the UK Amazon site but listed as "unavailable"

http://www.escape-leisure.co.uk/cata...arry-kayak.php
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:22 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurovanman View Post
I am using a composting toilet with coco fiber. I prep it before a trip, Niki Wynn made it look way harder than it needs to be. I simply put it in a small tupperware container with water and let it sit for 30 minutes. It absorbs all the water and becomes the consistency of soil. I have a 16 inch by 6 inch tupperware that when full will last me about 1-2 weeks of use. I think composting is so much more pleasant that dumping tanks etc. I wish people were more educated about composting toilets and the fact that they are way better than black tanks.
You just convinced me it is not for me. By your estimate I calculate I would have needed 8 cubic feet of coco fiber for my last 4 month trip. I have enough grief with a bag of charcoal. Where would I store 8 cubic feet? Completely closed macerator dumping is a 5 minute task and is a clean method with no touching poop or urine, no smell and no clean up; and the waste is going into a proper environmental disposal. With our 18 gallon black tank we were averaging 10 days between dumps.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #56
Gold Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mass59k

The kayak racks just bolt onto the full roof rack with 4 bolts. Mine could be for sale..
Wayne in Mass 59k
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You just convinced me it is not for me. By your estimate I calculate I would have needed 8 cubic feet of coco fiber for my last 4 month trip. I have enough grief with a bag of charcoal. Where would I store 8 cubic feet? Completely closed macerator dumping is a 5 minute task and is a clean method with no touching poop or urine, no smell and no clean up; and the waste is going into a proper environmental disposal. With our 18 gallon black tank we were averaging 10 days between dumps.
David, this is hydrated cocco fiber. It is probably 10 times the volume as it is when it comes dried in a brick. Also you can buy it at probably any hardware store or garden center, just like you buy your food and other items when you are on the road. People seem to just like to talk them selves out of composting toilets because it is the 'unknown'. Instead of hitting up a dump station, just hit up a garden center.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:14 AM   #58
Platinum Member

You still have to hit a dump station for your grey water unless you are one to foul everyone's nest.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:22 AM   #59
Bronze Member

Quote:
You still have to hit a dump station for your grey water unless you are one to foul everyone's nest.
The main attraction for us Davydd is the fact that one can delay the trip to the dump station, by being able to combine the grey water with the former black water tank. On the 59K this would double the capacity.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #60
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have never visited a dump station for my grey water. And I've never 'fouled anyone's nest.

Use natural soaps and pull up to city or town drains and dump. Its just water and natural soap with some food scraps. No harm whatsoever to the environment.

Dump stations are not easy to find on the west coast, and no reason to drive to them just for grey water, especially when they charge $$.