Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #781
Platinum Member

Interesting link, first thing I noticed was their mentioning of pressure balancing, adjustment for altitude. I would think that is a big deal, as regular house sealed dual panes are only good for a limited altitude range.

I wonder if they just let them breath, but have them so the come apart for cleaning the inevitable grime and film they will get inside?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #782
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Interesting link, first thing I noticed was their mentioning of pressure balancing, adjustment for altitude. I would think that is a big deal, as regular house sealed dual panes are only good for a limited altitude range.

I wonder if they just let them breath, but have them so the come apart for cleaning the inevitable grime and film they will get inside?
We have 5 Armor Vision windows and an Outbound skylight/roof hatch in our truck. Both types have similar construction and are sealed and designed to handle high altitudes.

Armor Vision | Global Expedition Vehicles
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #783
Platinum Member

Given the lack of insulation elsewhere it seems that the high cost dual pane glass windows would be overkill for most RVs. The interesting case is EarthRoamer which uses dual pane acrylic windows on $500,000+ expedition trucks that have molded camper bodies that are well insulated. Most vehicles in this class would be using the dual pane glass windows and it is a mystery why they aren’t used on EarthRoamers.

The weak point in expedition trucks is usually the pass through from the truck cab into the cabin where the poorly insulated truck cab open to the cabin defeats the good insulation of the rest of the cabin. The solution is an insulated plug that fits into the pass through used when it is very hot or very cold.

In a camper van the solution is usually an insulated curtain/blanket of some sort hung between the front of the van and the rear of the van. If there are double pane windows in the rear of the van and better insulation in the walls and floor and ceiling then it should do pretty good in the heat or cold.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #784
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTX View Post
I really wish Winnebago with all their options would give you a choice regarding chassis on the Travato. Chevy, Ford, etc. Not a fan of the Ram pro master.

Has anyone here with the Ram pro master chassis on their Travato put any serious miles on their’s with no issues?

Lots of them over on the Travato Facebook group. Why not a fan?

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 PM   #785
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What percentage of the window glass in the van is dual pane for $2800? With the big front and side windows and maybe others, it seems like that $2800 could buy some really nice insulated curtains, that would insulate all the glass in the van, and probably leave enough left over to improve the likely not very good metal parts insulation.
Good point, but cost is not, well whatever. Someone can spend the 2800 that way plus 2800 more for the windows.

Hey, if ARV does not use these cool double pane kind of things, why not?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 PM   #786
Platinum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
I'm not familiar with the WGO warranty details but AFAIK, industry wide, the chassis and drive train is excluded from an RV warranty and your recourse is directly with the chassis manufacturer. Also, during the umbrella RV warranty (in WGO, for 1 year/12,000 miles) does an appliance failure obligate WGO to repair or replace or do you still have to address this directly with the appliance manufacturer? After the one year warranty period, if your Dometic roof AC crashes, who replaces it and where is it replaced?
Yes: Chassis and Drivetrain issues are taken care of by Manufacturer; as I'm pretty sure would have to be the case with all RV's. (Class B's anyway), I wouldn't want an RV tech replacing my transmission or rings in my engine anyway
Yes: During the WGO warranty period, WGO, or your dealer would be responsible for warranty items on the coach (though sometimes it may be easier to address them directly with the individual part manufacturer).
After the WGO warranty, the individual suppliers would be responsible to uphold their individual warranties, but WGO could be called on to mediate if necessary.
Don't overthink the warranty. I had a couple minor warranty issues in the first month or two of ownership. Since then, I have put on 35,000 miles in 2 years without a glitch. Not to say that every unit is perfect, but this seems to be the "norm" among fellow Travato owners.
I've heard people basing purchasing decisions on a certain manufacturers 5 or 7 year warranty. Though this may sound comforting, think about it. You are being forced to use the manufacturers dealers, who are probably inconvenient, and likely have long wait times for scheduling, they may or may not be the best people to do the job. Some manufacturers (ARV and Safari Condo come to mind) work very tightly with their customers, and allow them to get their rigs serviced at the most convenient locations whenever possible. With others, you are tied to their service network; which isn't necessarily a good thing. With the right independent extended service contract/Insurance, you can get your rig serviced at the place of YOUR choosing. -OR- ofcourse, you could just "self insure" and pay for your own repairs where and when needed.
No matter how you choose to do it, you are going to pay for repairs. Whether you pay up front in the purchase price, or with an independent service contract, or you pay as you go on the fly, you are going to pay. It's never free. The choice you have is how and where you actually acquire your service. Personally, I prefer to get service from someone of my choosing, on my schedule; or better yet, require no service at all.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 11:14 PM   #787
Bud
Platinum Member

"With the right independent extended service contract/Insurance.."

And where can you purchase that?

Bud
Old 04-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #788
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Good point, but cost is not, well whatever. Someone can spend the 2800 that way plus 2800 more for the windows.

Hey, if ARV does not use these cool double pane kind of things, why not?

Bud
I'm sure they have looked into them. Right off hand they like the aesthetic look of the glass windows that continuously fill the van and want full windows instead of small windows, I think. Their standard double-lined curtains that fit tight have been more than adequate for comfort I know down to 0 deg. F. They provide insulated cab curtains and an options with sealing off the cab area and back door with insulated full curtains which I have not found necessary. They, unlike all others, have full body insulation including behind cabinets. Their Rixen Espar diesel-fired heating system has no trouble maintaining temperature. I don't know much about the acrylic windows but if fogging and yellowing and extra maintenance is a concern I wouldn't want them since I doubt the benefit. All my vans have experienced yellowing plastic parts in under 4 years.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:13 AM   #789
Platinum Member

These days there are several options for windows similar to the Seitz for anyone who is looking for something for a DIY camper build. Here is one option from a company that also sells complete panel kits for camper bodies...

https://totalcomposites.com/product/...-tern-windows/
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #790
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I'm sure they have looked into them. Right off hand they like the aesthetic look of the glass windows that continuously fill the van and want full windows instead of small windows, I think. Their standard double-lined curtains that fit tight have been more than adequate for comfort I know down to 0 deg. F. They provide insulated cab curtains and an options with sealing off the cab area and back door with insulated full curtains which I have not found necessary. They, unlike all others, have full body insulation including behind cabinets. Their Rixen Espar diesel-fired heating system has no trouble maintaining temperature. I don't know much about the acrylic windows but if fogging and yellowing and extra maintenance is a concern I wouldn't want them since I doubt the benefit. All my vans have experienced yellowing plastic parts in under 4 years.
Seems to make sense. Thanks David.

Bud
Old 04-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #791
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
"With the right independent extended service contract/Insurance.."

And where can you purchase that?

Bud
I have no idea. As I said, I chose to "self insure".. so far, so good. I looked at a couple service contracts and they all had too many strings and conditions attached for my liking. I see Warranties basically as insurance companies betting that either your rig won't break down, or that they can get out of paying for it when it does, and you are paying them by placing your bet that it will.
I was just trying to make the point that there are several ways to skin a cat, and one probably shouldn't base a purchase on the warranty. I'd recommend finding a rig of which you were satisfied with the level of quality, and go for it. Some people like it less risky, and want to be "warranted" that their troubles will be paid for. From reading of others experiences, it sometimes seems fighting over warranty items is more work than fixing or paying for it yourself. I have read too many times about owners of a certain brand which have a long warranty. Some of those peoples rigs end up at dealerships waiting for repairs for MONTHS - In at least a couple cases, the owners rig spent more time in the shop than it did on the road. I hate to see anyone have to go through that kind of crap..
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #792
Bronze Member

Hi Wayne, just curious where in Mass you are? I'm a Sportsmobile owner (old Dodge Sportsmobile) in Pelham, NH (near Lowell, ma). I would like to get a new rug and I'm looking at Travatos. Thanks, Lee
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 PM   #793
Platinum Member

Default Another Dual Pane Window Difference

One thing about the dual pane windows in the Travato that I don't believe anyone has mentioned is that the small windows on both sides (near the "headboards") only open if you go with the dual pane window option. I believe the trade-off is that the middle larger window on the passenger side does NOT open so it can not be sheared off accidentally by the sliding door.

I believe, with the STANDARD windows, all the side windows except the two smaller rear ones do slide open.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #794
Platinum Member

Default 2019 Travato 59K vs. Roadtrek Agile Testdrive

My wife and I spent an afternoon driving a new 2019 Travato 59K and a new 2018 Roadtrek Agile.
Bottom line. The Travato was much more relaxing and enjoyable to be in. Especially for those in the rear of the coach, it was easy, comfortable and fun to hang out and talk while moving along. The Agile definitely drove better, stronger engine, much more comfortable driving position, but not physically or psychologically relaxing to ride in the rear of the coach as it’s moving. While some of the materials seem more luxurious, the fit and finish of the Agile was lacking.
Some details. We took Travato out first, and as luck would have it, a very nice couple who were also interested in the Travato joined us for the adventure. I drove first. I don’t like the Promaster Driving position. In isolation the seat seemed a bit uncomfortable no matter how much I fiddled with all the adjustments. I think the part of it is that the bottom cushion is simply not very deep and I am 6’1” so it just feels too small. Plus, the legroom is not great and you sit more like a commercial city bus driver than a driver in a car. It’s tolerable but far from ideal. And compared to the Agile, the Promaster is significant step down. Power seemed adequate, not great but for a 9,000lb van it moves OK. No trouble maintaining 70 mph on the flat Interstate (near sea level). Turning radius was shockingly good, however the steering feel is poor, very numb and hard to tell what the front tires are doing. Visibility out the front was great but the thick A pillar does obstruct the quarter views some. Ride was good. Seemed less tippy and more planted than the Roadtrek. Neither my wife or I are used to the long braking distances on both vans. Next my wife took over driving. She too felt it drove OK, but was felt it was underpowered.
What impressed me was after she took over driving was just how much room there was for the three or even four of us in the rear. Hanging out, having a good conversation, looking out the windows at the beautiful scenery. Easy to stretch out, move around and be comfortable. We were only missing some wine or brews. Conversation between those in the back and those up front was natural and not awkward. And, nothing was rattling or flying around as we drove along. I am tall so the height of the beds/lounges off the floor is OK for me but I could see that for shorter folks not having your feet touch the ground would not be comfortable long-term. My wife would say I was remiss if I did not add that while the outside of the vans look similar from the rear and the sides, the front of the Promaster is indescribably ugly. I agree.
Next, we took the Agile out with our awesome salesperson (the couple that went out with us in the Travato had to get going). As I alluded to, the MB chassis simply drives better. Engine pulls stronger. Seating position and comfort of seat way above the Promaster. Visibility better too. It’s more upscale and a nicer cabin in pretty much every regard. The safety features also are also very desirable. Things like blind spot warning should be included on the Promaster, heck every van. Stuff rattled all over the Agile. A loudest rattle we think emanated from under the passenger seat but the whole coach rattled.
It just doesn’t feel like it is thoughtfully designed for actual use. The cushions on the two small side areas at the rear don’t stay put at all even when not in use. Sitting on the one on the driver’s side is even worse. It just wants to tip you into the isle. The rear table is stored under the cushion and it’s simply a poor set up. Same thing happens on the passenger’s side when you sit on the sofa and put your feet up – the bed partition is under the cushion, unattached – loose and moving all over the place. Only a tiny piece of super cheap non-slip pad between the cushion and what’s underneath it. It all feels completely ad hoc and unfinished.
It’s not a big deal but there were little rubber bumpers on the floor which had already fallen off from somewhere in the brand-new coach. Overall, the quality inside felt a tad higher than the Travato’s but the quality was hit or miss. The galley counter top is nice material and the two-burner cooktop is larger and appears to be of higher quality than the cheapo in the Travato. Only the two rear windows open and only a sliver – not enough circulation for us. I have covered the bath in other posts – toilet seems barely usable but taking a shower in the Agile bathroom would be miserable due to its tiny size. My wife commented it’s a way smaller bath (than the Travato) AND does not include a sink.
But here’s the thing. I just was not nearly as comfortable to be in the rear of the Agile. I was sitting on the passenger side and every time I wanted to talk to my wife as she drove, I had to lean my entire upper body over toward the isle to see her due to the space in front of me being completely blocked by the large mass of the wardrobe closet and the bathroom. Not natural or easy. My wife said the Agile feels like a coffin inside. Not fun, and isn’t that a big part of it?
And here’s the kicker. Price. There’s a $55,000 difference in the asking prices before adding nearly another $10K for 4X4 on the Agile. I know the Agile, besides being built on the nice MB chassis, has a much better and preferred lithium battery system included but many tens of thousands of dollars better? I don’t think so.
Here’s the bottom line I told my wife. I’d much rather drive the Agile but would way more prefer to travel and live out of the Travato. If the Agile’s price came down to the Travato’s I think I’d still pick the Travato. I think we are zeroing in on our purchase.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:47 PM   #795
Platinum Member

You put too much emphasis in riding in the back. That occurs when maybe you go from a campground to a restaurant with another couple doubling up.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM   #796
Platinum Member

Default Perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You put too much emphasis in riding in the back. That occurs when maybe you go from a campground to a restaurant with another couple doubling up.
You may be correct on this one but I also know that in whatever we get, while I drive my wife will spend a lot of time in the rear of the coach stretched out, comfortable, and hopefully belted.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #797
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
You may be correct on this one but I also know that in whatever we get, while I drive my wife will spend a lot of time in the rear of the coach stretched out, comfortable, and hopefully belted.
If you like the MB chassis but the Winnebago build, why not look at the ERA?
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #798
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
If you like the MB chassis but the Winnebago build, why not look at the ERA?
I agree - they aren't as expensive as the Agile (about $100K) and some models of the ERA have a bench right behind the driver, others have four seats, etc. so you could find a configuration you like.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:25 PM   #799
Platinum Member

If you really like the short MB van, the Pleasure-Way Ascent would be another one to check out.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:30 PM   #800
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
If you really like the short MB van, the Pleasure-Way Ascent would be another one to check out.

I agree. I'd sure look at and consider an Ascent before the RT model. You definitely get a better build....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote