Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2018, 02:40 AM   #801
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
If you like the MB chassis but the Winnebago build, why not look at the ERA?
Seems like you get a lot of value with an ERA but too long for our needs. We want something that can get to mountain bike trailheads and up the forest service roads. If the Revel wasn't so stripped down that would be an option. I also prefer something that can be a "daily" driver in the congested Bay Area and small enough to park in front of our home and not look like a "bus".
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:53 AM   #802
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
Seems like you get a lot of value with an ERA but too long for our needs. We want something that can get to mountain bike trailheads and up the forest service roads. If the Revel wasn't so stripped down that would be an option. I also prefer something that can be a "daily" driver in the congested Bay Area and small enough to park in front of our home and not look like a "bus".

i've been reading your posts. the ram promaster is to low to be a consistent forest service roads vehicle in my opinion. you have to think about the kind of areas you plan on using this in.you have to remember the travato has all sorts of tanks and the onan generator underneath. Just a mild incline can cause bottoming out. your onan will scrape a lot
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:19 AM   #803
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
If you really like the short MB van, the Pleasure-Way Ascent would be another one to check out.
We have looked at the Pleasure-Way Ascent. I VASTLY prefer it to the Agile regarding both quality and the layout. Bath is just enough bigger to be usable, I like the galley on the passenger side. Probably the biggest issue with the Ascent is that if I am going to pay for a MB chassis I want it to be 4X4 and the Ascent is not available in 4X4 and it includes the low hanging steps on the passenger side. While the interior is no where near as old fashion feeling inside as the Agile it still feels more like a house living room than a cool outdoor space but I realize that is part of the appeal for many. The three way fridge is disappointing.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:43 AM   #804
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
i've been reading your posts. the ram promaster is to low to be a consistent forest service roads vehicle in my opinion. you have to think about the kind of areas you plan on using this in.you have to remember the travato has all sorts of tanks and the onan generator underneath. Just a mild incline can cause bottoming out. your onan will scrape a lot
Hey thanks for reading my posts and I appreciate your thoughts - that's why I am here to learn from those with experience. I know the Promaster has crap ground clearance - it's why I have been looking at the Agile 4X4, Revel, Custom Builds etc. The Agile is just an expensive mess, there's no polite other way to put it. The Revel is very cool but too spartan and the garage would make sense if you could put the bed down with the bikes inside but you can not. Custom builds are big money and the wait is a year or more.

So, by default in part, we are leaning towards the Travato 59K. Before I even picked one up I would ad SumoSprings to the rear to gain about 1" extra ground clearance. I know all the stuff (including generator) hangs down with only about 6" clearance stock ~7" with Sumos. I also am seriously considering some beefier tires and wheels for better traction and soft-road protection. I know that there is unfortunately not enough wheel well clearance to add much, if any, larger tires to help with ground clearance.

No solution seems ideal and I am learning the B Class mantra well of compromise.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 AM   #805
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Many owners over on the Facebook Travato forum go down Forest Service and worse roads all the time with no issues. One single female owner that is a full timer and avid hiker has been all over the west off road, (within reason of course).
Almost all have installed the yellow Sumo springs to gain that 1", and BF Goodrich KO-2's all around. Some have even installed them in 245 size vs 225 standard. Very minor cutting of the plastic rear fender liners is required for the 245's. No issues up front....

That group is so big nowadays that they even have a 10% discount worked out with Super Springs for the Sumos

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:00 AM   #806
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
Many owners over on the Facebook Travato forum go down Forest Service and worse roads all the time with no issues. One single female owner that is a full timer and avid hiker has been all over the west off road, (within reason of course).
Almost all have installed the yellow Sumo springs to gain that 1", and BF Goodrich KO-2's all around. Some have even installed them in 245 size vs 225 standard. Very minor cutting of the plastic rear fender liners is required for the 245's. No issues up front....

That group is so big nowadays that they even have a 10% discount worked out with Super Springs for the Sumos
Great info, thank you. I have no intention or desire to travel 4-wheel drive jeep trails but I am hoping to traverse dirt forest service and fire roads regularly. We too will be traveling mostly around the West.

Really good to hear about the 245 fitting. I am thinking of going +1 size with the Revel 17" wheels and 245/65/R17 T/A K02 tires. Do you know whether the cutting required is of the rear mud flaps or is the plastic wheel liner itself what needs modified?
Old 04-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #807
BBQ
Platinum Member

There is a difference between "Going Off-Road" and driving on unpaved road.

Many people have success driving on unpaved roads in BLM and backcountry.

The ProMaster is not an off-road vehicle.
But if you choose your line carefully,
any 2WD vehicle can make it on an unpaved road.

The concern is not so much with rocks, or high-center,
you know how to avoid them,
but with ruts (sometimes they are unavoidable)
and soft grounds.

If you got stuck in soft grounds (mud or sand),
even a short wheelbase 4WD will not help.
Because you are dealing with an 8,000+ lb mini-home on your back.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #808
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

There is a difference between "Going Off-Road" and driving on unpaved road.

Many people have success driving on unpaved roads in BLM and backcountry.

The ProMaster is not an off-road vehicle.
But if you choose your line carefully,
any 2WD vehicle can make it on an unpaved road.

The concern is not so much with rocks, or high-center,
you know how to avoid them,
but with ruts (sometimes they are unavoidable)
and soft grounds.

If you got stuck in soft grounds (mud or sand),
even a short wheelbase 4WD will not help.
Because you are dealing with an 8,000+ lb mini-home on your back.

Well said.
The Travato works well as a backwoods camper (I've tested it ). I have the Sumos, and the KO2 tires. Often the size and weight (of ANY van, 4wd or not) are limiting factors before "rough roads".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22406394_1671554446190601_423906807716023251_n.jpg (120.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2259.jpg (477.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2218.jpg (518.8 KB, 36 views)
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #809
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teck13 View Post
Great info, thank you. I have no intention or desire to travel 4-wheel drive jeep trails but I am hoping to traverse dirt forest service and fire roads regularly. We too will be traveling mostly around the West.

Really good to hear about the 245 fitting. I am thinking of going +1 size with the Revel 17" wheels and 245/65/R17 T/A K02 tires. Do you know whether the cutting required is of the rear mud flaps or is the plastic wheel liner itself what needs modified?
I believe for the 245's, and Scott will have to back me up on this, if he knows, is that the rear mud flaps have to come off, and the rear plastic liners have to be trimmed at the very bottom where they swing in toward the center of the van. No metal has to be cut. The 17" wheels throw a whole new variable into the mix...

Old 04-17-2018, 04:22 PM   #810
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Well said.
The Travato works well as a backwoods camper (I've tested it ). I have the Sumos, and the KO2 tires. Often the size and weight (of ANY van, 4wd or not) are limiting factors before "rough roads".
Thanks a million for posting and including the great photos. Those are very close to the kinds of roads I want to be able to travel so your post is more helpful than you might know.

What kind of wheels do you have? They look good. Also, it would be helpful if you could share what size tires your K02's are.

Finally, did you get painted bumpers or regular? Any opinions on that one from a backwoods perspective? I figure the stock bumpers would be better.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #811
Platinum Member

Quote:
I believe for the 245's, and Scott will have to back me up on this, if he knows, is that the rear mud flaps have to come off, and the rear plastic liners have to be trimmed at the very bottom where they swing in toward the center of the van. No metal has to be cut. The 17" wheels throw a whole new variable into the mix...
Scott's van looks super cool so hopefully he will weigh in on wheels and tire sizes, mud flaps and trimming rear plastic liners. If I go with 17" rims i would do +1 sizing so the outside diameter would remain the same as 16" wheels with the stock/higher series tire.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #812
Platinum Member

On my new van, I opted for the non-painted bumper covers. With the granite paint, they don't stand out and look cheap like on the silver or red van. WGO doesn't do a great job of painting these parts anyways. I also ordered a brush guard and some off-road lights to go with it.

I don't see the benefit of going with a bigger tire - it's not so big to help you, but causes alot of issues - speedo re-calibration, heavier (un-sprung weight), loosing your mudflaps and having to do some ugly trimming on your brand new plastic wheel trim. The 225's will do the job fine without any of those issues. I plan on painting an extra set of wheels I have black and mounting the KO2's on them. Still mulling if I'll go white letter or just black.

With the sumos, better tires, and front wheel drive, I really don't see any impediments to going anywhere I'd like to go.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 PM   #813
Platinum Member

Default Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
On my new van, I opted for the non-painted bumper covers. With the granite paint, they don't stand out and look cheap like on the silver or red van. WGO doesn't do a great job of painting these parts anyways. I also ordered a brush guard and some off-road lights to go with it.

I don't see the benefit of going with a bigger tire - it's not so big to help you, but causes alot of issues - speedo re-calibration, heavier (un-sprung weight), loosing your mudflaps and having to do some ugly trimming on your brand new plastic wheel trim. The 225's will do the job fine without any of those issues. I plan on painting an extra set of wheels I have black and mounting the KO2's on them. Still mulling if I'll go white letter or just black.

With the sumos, better tires, and front wheel drive, I really don't see any impediments to going anywhere I'd like to go.
What I am learning here is invaluable, even if it just confirms my thoughts and projections.

I am leaning towards the Granite Gray myself and with that color the unpainted bumpers look great to me. I even think it looks a bit more outdoorsy than the painted bumpers. I too have noticed that on the other colors the paint match is pretty weak, especially on last year's cool deep red color.

I used to do a fair bit of track driving so I know all about in-sprung weight. Not sure how much it impacts a 9,000lb van but I'd still prefer less to more all else being equal - which it never is. Would prefer to keep mud flaps and not cut into plastic wheel trim. if possible. Are those two things necessary with the 245 tires even with the rear SumoSprings?

Now I am looking at cool looking, strong and light black aftermarket wheels (in the stock 16" size) but not finding any I like so far. Any recommendations?

And I will go with the T/A K02's.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:19 PM   #814
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is all exactly right.

As far as the rear mudflaps go, I pulled mine off beforehand in mud, so mine were gone before I even got the new KO2's. I don't like the design, and several people have torn theirs off by backing into curbs, so I did not replace mine (I lost one). I've hunted for I different design, but have yet to find one I like.

My KO2's are the OEM size 225-75-16. I was afraid of rubbing and/or speedometer problems, but after reading about others who went with the 245's, my NEXT set WILL be 245's. These are great tires for "off road"; they are a softer rubber with a smoother, quieter ride on dirt roads AND rough paved roads (seams and cracks in pavement, potholes, R.R. crossings, etc). Teck 13; I do believe the mudflaps would have to come off and trimming done with or without the Sumos. The tight spot is the tire diameter from front to back, not on top.

On that note, the SUMOS also do a lot to quiet the ride; no more "banging" in the rear when the bump stop hits the springs. That, along with the rise in ground clearance and stabilization they give to the rear of the van make the Sumo's a no brainer for $200.00. They ought to just put them on at the factory, there is no reason I can think of that anyone would NOT want them.

My wheels are the standard (Upgraded Promaster) wheels that come on the Travato; I spray painted them with plasti dip. It's a removable rubber coating - I also used it on the "chrome" Grill. It's held up perfectly for a year (I clean gently), and it is supposedly very easy to touch up if needed (I haven't needed to yet). There are some cool wheels out there (I think I saw pics on the Promaster Forum), but they will cost you (and I'm cheap). Another option would be to just take your wheels in and have them powder coated by a professional.

And as far as the bumpers go - I would guess that would be personal preference - 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Unlike Wincrasher, I actually LIKE the way they look on all colors of the Promaster; I think they look rugged, and a little less like an old mans R.V.. With paint you run the risk of scratching, the added expense if they need replacing and/or a bad quality job (mine are fine). With Standard plastic, you have the risk of fading or graying over time. I would have chose plastic, but I bought my T off the lot so I got full paint.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #815
Platinum Member

A big thank you to all the folks contributing to this discussion, I have learned a lot and it is extremely helpful. The information is so valuable and appreciated before making an expensive decision.

We are very close to pulling the trigger on a Travato. Scott, Bobojay, Wincrasher and others, I have one follow up question regarding tire size.

How do you guys think a set of T/A 245/70R16 would fit? Because they are almost the exact diameter of the stock 225/75R16, do you think they would fit WITHOUT modification of the mudflaps and/or the wheel well liner? I know they are .79" wider or a little less than 1/2" wider on each side. Is the width going to be what has a clearance issue with the mud flap and liner on the bottom inside corner?

Also any last tips regarding a new 2019 and must have options or add-ons?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:33 PM   #816
Platinum Member

If diameter is the same, they should fit with regards to the wheel well trim/mudflap issue. As far as the width goes, I think you'd be OK in the rear, but you probably won't know for sure in the front until you try it. At the extremes (turning lock-to-lock) I remember it being pretty tight with the stock tires. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

The pros of extra width are all off pavement, as you probably know. Especially sandy conditions like dirt roads and the beach. The downsides are on-pavement - extra noise and extra drag resulting in lower fuel economy. Only you can balance these factors in your decision making as to what you are going for.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #817
Platinum Member

Default More Tire Width Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
If diameter is the same, they should fit with regards to the wheel well trim/mudflap issue. As far as the width goes, I think you'd be OK in the rear, but you probably won't know for sure in the front until you try it. At the extremes (turning lock-to-lock) I remember it being pretty tight with the stock tires. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

The pros of extra width are all off pavement, as you probably know. Especially sandy conditions like dirt roads and the beach. The downsides are on-pavement - extra noise and extra drag resulting in lower fuel economy. Only you can balance these factors in your decision making as to what you are going for.
Hey Wincrasher. Interesting info. It seems that most of the talk about the clearance issues with 245 tires is focused on the rear so I had not thought much about the front. Another, I think significant, question I have about 245's (whether 70 or 75 series) is appropriateness and safety on the stock 6" wide Travato rims. What I have dug up online suggests even the stock 225's are pushing the maximum width limits of a 6" rim? Any thoughts on this topic?
Old 04-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #818
Platinum Member

From what we found when messing with the Chevy wheels, 245s are at the low end of wheel width at 6.5", so the stock 6" wheel would be too narrow. Don't forget you need to have the same as factory offset if you want similar handling and clearances.

One other thing to look closely at is what happens to you load a capacity as you change tire ratio. We found that sometimes you could actually lose load capacity by going up a tire size and down a jump or two on ratio.

If you go to tire rack, for any individual tire page there is a specification tab in the data area. You can get rim requirements, load capacity, tire pressure max, outside diameter, revs per mile (won't be the same a calcing off of diameter due to bottom of tire being compressed by weight), section width, etc. Very useful information.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #819

Default Why doesn't Winnebago offer a white Travato?

I don't get why Winnebago doesn't offer White Travatos. For those of us in the South, Air Conditioning and keeping a van cool is quite a task. The fact that a light color or white will reflect heat is very, very important.

A white Travato would be cheaper to purchase. The nonmetallic would be cheaper to maintain. The stealth capabilities would be increased when boondocking. And the most important to me, the white van would be easier to cool.

Not to say I don't like the gray or silver, sometimes practicality needs to be a consideration.
bubbiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:39 PM   #820
Platinum Member

Don't know about the white color. How much volume that would move as far as vans would be the decider for WGO. Myself, I think the colors have spoiled buyers nowadays.
Again, myself, the only currently available color I think looks "cheap" with the stock bumpers is silver. I love the 2 tone red. We are buying the solid charcoal though because that was what was coming in. Just didn't want to wait 12 weeks for a special order.
As far as options on the '19's? For the ruggedness get the stock cloth seat covers. The new Seitz windows? We think they are way overpriced, so not getting, but the ones that have gotten them, love them. Doing some off paved roads kinda things will scratch them when they get hit by branches etc.
Otherwise, there's not much left in options anymore. Just colors, windows and leather front seats are the important ones to consider. And of course the KO2's, but not from WGO....