Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #421
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassB4Me View Post

There is only one issue I wish they would address - the rear bathroom design. Most RVs with a rear bath will create a permanent or removable panel so the bathroom is not exposed when opening the rear door by default.

Any Travato 59k owners feel this is unnecessary or have developed a post purchase solution?
I thought the design was odd when I first looked at it. However, the bathroom on the 59K is bigger and easier to use than the other class B's we looked at (we rarely use the campground showers).

The best advantage though of the 59K design is that cleaning the bathroom is very easy when you open the rear doors and stand outside!

Howard
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #422
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk&hc View Post
I thought the design was odd when I first looked at it. However, the bathroom on the 59K is bigger and easier to use than the other class B's we looked at (we rarely use the campground showers).

The best advantage though of the 59K design is that cleaning the bathroom is very easy when you open the rear doors and stand outside!

Howard
The bath is why we are going with the 59K. Tim
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #423
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
The bath is why we are going with the 59K. Tim
It's a nice layout and the bath arrangement is certainly an innovative plus. Also, other than the RT 210, this is the only other B that provides a full 30 inch twin bed rather than the skimpy 24 inch twins typically provided.

But this has to be balanced against:

anemic solar

equally anemic battery support

No inverter

Onan generator rather than an underhood gen

Skimpy fridge

If and when WGO addresses this, IMO, the 59k will dominate in Class B.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #424
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
It's a nice layout and the bath arrangement is certainly an innovative plus. Also, other than the RT 210, this is the only other B that provides a full 30 inch twin bed rather than the skimpy 24 inch twins typically provided.

anemic solar

No inverter

Skimpy fridge

Agreed. If WGO could just add underhood and an inverter to their vans then RT would be in real trouble. I still want the WGO Sprinter Adventure van concept... maybe hey will add those features to that...
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:38 AM   #425
Silver Member

For those who have Travato K's, how durable have they been? I have my concerns. For two years in a row, the baths at shows I have been to have been trashed. Both times, the sliding tambour doors were inoperable and looked destroyed, and once the sink was broken, and wouldn't stay up, blocking the toilet. Other things in the bath seemed flimsy. I tried using the shower curtain, and it was difficult to say the least. In the living area, the "head-rests" wouldn't stay up, and the tables in the galley seemed flimsy and were not smooth in operation. The beds were comfortable, but made terrible couches. Large pillows could help that, but they would not be secured in place, and there would be no place to store them. The galley was one of the smallest I've seen, with very little storage for food or pots and pans.

This contrasted with the Paseo I saw in the same display this year. Though also having the metal tambour door, it functioned flawlessly, being very sturdy and also very smooth in action. The folding sink was more robust, and the shower area was roomier to boot. The galley had tons more storage, and also seemed much better built. Everything in the Paseo seemed very sturdy and much better built than the Travato. The bed, when set up, was very comfortable, though not long, and the lounge was more comfortable as a couch than I expected, though certainly not as comfortable as most actual couches, especially those from PleasureWay. I know the Paseo is more expensive, but it seemed way better built than the Travato, IMHO.

I know that shows are tough on a coach, but most usually hold up very well, except for the really cheap ones. That's why I was so disappointed that the K this year was in even worse shape than the one I saw last year. Any comments from owners?
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:55 AM   #426
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:

anemic solar
No inverter
Skimpy fridge
WGO is aiming at a specific market -- those who go from hook up to hook ups. These RVers want a large bath and an airy interior. WGO's marketing research has been spot on. They are selling 59K like hot cakes.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 AM   #427
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
WGO is aiming at a specific market -- those who go from hook up to hook ups. These RVers want a large bath and an airy interior. WGO's marketing research has been spot on. They are selling 59K like hot cakes.
I guess I'm not a candidate for that market although the salesman sure tried to convince me I was. Bottom line is that I ended up more disposed to live with the admittedly annoying bugaboos of a builder that leads from ahead rather than enrich a conglomerate that leads from behind.

BTW, isn't a core purpose of Class B design to facilitate the freedom of avoiding hookups in general in preference to the constraints inherent in traveling from hookup to hookup?.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:30 AM   #428
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdatlanta View Post
For those who have Travato K's, how durable have they been? I have my concerns. For two years in a row, the baths at shows I have been to have been trashed. Both times, the sliding tambour doors were inoperable and looked destroyed, and once the sink was broken, and wouldn't stay up, blocking the toilet. Other things in the bath seemed flimsy. I tried using the shower curtain, and it was difficult to say the least. In the living area, the "head-rests" wouldn't stay up, and the tables in the galley seemed flimsy and were not smooth in operation. The beds were comfortable, but made terrible couches. Large pillows could help that, but they would not be secured in place, and there would be no place to store them. The galley was one of the smallest I've seen, with very little storage for food or pots and pans.
There's a lot of nice detail in the 59 but virtually every 59 I have seen at a dealer or show had varying amounts of damage to that door. They have to do something about that.

I think the reason the bed is comfy but the seats not so much is that sitting on a cushion involves different dynamics than lying down and spreading your weight over a larger cushion area. Generally speaking, I think you can good seating or you can get a good mattress but you aren't going to accomplish both with the same material density unless you go to expense of a design like Davydd perfected in his ARV coach which IMO has the best twin bed design I have ever seen in any RV regardless of class. Even without that design, if memory serves, you can go to the ARV factory during your build and select the foam density that is best suited for your body weight and profile.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:51 PM   #429
Platinum Member

Paseo and Travato are not in the same market segment and don't compete with each other. Paseo and Era are more closely related in build & price.

I have no complaints about the durability of my K. No issues with the tambor doors other than they are noisy/rattle. The sink seems durable enough to me. Many folks have modded their shower curtain. That is one area I'd like WGO to improve.

To a certain extent, you have to say the Travato is what it is. It's meant to be the low price leader, and from that aspect, it certainly is. Compare it to a Roadtrek Simplicity and draw your own conclusions.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:58 PM   #430
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
I don't know what you are talking about here. MANY of the users in the Facebook groups are reporting that they easily go out for 3 and 4 day trips all the time boondocking without issues.

You don't need to run air conditioning on batteries to claim that your RV is free from hookups. Many folks are just fine with their propane fridges and running a venitlator. It just depends if your mindset is to work with the weather or fight it.

My unicorn is to go a week between servicing the van. The issue is always tank size, primarily waste water tank size. Everything else can go more than a week if the weather is mild. I've made it a few times, but generally 5 days is my limit, as I'm just not very good at conservation and don't want to use anything other than my van's bathroom.

If you look closely at WGO's ads for Travato, they look to be selling their vans as day-trippers - days and weekends at the beach,etc. But on their WGO Life website, they certainly feature folks doing extended trips, fulltiming, etc., but mostly adventuring, not sitting around in campgrounds.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #431
Silver Member

"I know the Paseo is more expensive, but it seemed way better built than the Travato, IMHO. "

I agree with Wincrasher. The Travato K and Paseo are not apples to apples. The Paseo comes in at $22,000 MORE than a Travato. That is not a small figure. If you want more seating and a bigger fridge, and more storage, you are talking the 59G. We were looking for more comfortable beds than our fiberglass trailer, better reading seats (the front seats) and are already used to a smaller fridge and cooking area. We are confident that we can go to unimproved sites for several days with no problems.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #432
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
I don't know what you are talking about here. MANY of the users in the Facebook groups are reporting that they easily go out for 3 and 4 day trips all the time boondocking without issues.

::
I call 3 and 4 day trips extended weekends. LOL

Nobody is saying no, you are presumming the opposite.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:04 AM   #433
Platinum Member

Quote:

anemic solar

No inverter

Skimpy fridge

Everyone has a priority, and everyone has an opinion. I suppose that is the beauty of choice. I love seeing all the new options hitting the market in the last few years.

The "anemic" 100-400 watt solar and battery support works pretty damn well for my uses. I don't need an inverter (I have one in the closet I never use). The thing about the Onan Generator is... it WORKS (and has been working for the last 30 years or so). I have the "G" model, which boasts one of the largest fridges I've seen in any B.

"When WGO addresses this, IMO the 59K will dominate in Class B"??
...I don't know that there are model by model sales reports anywhere, but
WGO -IS- the B sales leader since shortly after the Travato's introduction...

BBQ says: "WGO is aiming at a specific market -- those who go from hook up to hook ups. These RVers want a large bath and an airy interior.";
In MY case, In 20,000 miles, I think I have plugged in at MAYBE 3 or 4 campsites or "hook ups", we boondock almost exclusively. I only wanted a bath I can actually stand up and take a shower in (which I can NOT in any of the "side bath" models). In Travato world, most K owners love their "airy" window filled rigs, but I think even my G model is more open and less constricting than the typical old done to death, "bed in the back, center aisle layouts". So yes, "airy" is good.

Despite your opinions (and I am not necessarily saying they are "wrong"), WGO is taking the best part of the market, with what I believe to be a great product. With respect, The numbers usually tell the story as well as any opinion.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:00 AM   #434
BBQ
Platinum Member

An informal poll at the Facebook Travato group shows a near 50-50 split between G and K owners.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #435
Bronze Member

Default Live Webcast Q&A Today 10am CST for Travato 2017 1/2 54K and 54G

Today at 10am Central Time, Litchtsinn RV (next to Winnebago factory in Iowa) is doing a live webcast Q&A talking about the changes in the 2017 1/2 Travato 54G and 54K. Should be able to chat with them online. I'm trying to think of some questions. Live Video Webcast from Lichtsinn RV

I'm leaning towards getting a new 54G soon but I might wait awhile if it looks like something with a better battery bank, second alternator/generator, and volt start, with no Onan, will be available in the next couple years.

Curious if the G will still keep the 3-way w/propane fridge or go to a 12v/110 compressor fridge like the K. They might have the 3-way in the G because it's bigger. I'm still looking into the pros and cons of each.
jbxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #436
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdatlanta View Post
from owners?
The RV industry has a lot of challenges.

Generally, they are accustom to having buyers accept a product with defects / damage upon delivery.

I would NEVER buy an RV off the lot unless it was deeply discounted and the contract was modified to explicitly state what was must corrected before delivery otherwise, the contract is voided and all monies returned.

On an order, the contract would specify the unit cannot be shown to prospective buyers.

I think the big players (Tiffin, WGO, etc.) should allow for pickup / inspection to occur at the factory and issues corrected BEFORE it is shipped to the dealer for final delivery.

After 1 1/2 years on this forum, I decided to move forward with a Travato 59K. It meets most of our needs and we can accept any downsides.

Went to two dealers and both products had vinyl flooring peeling away, the batteries were not maintained and were shot, the units are left unlocked most of the day and I witnessed 'RV Dreamers' letting their kids jump on seats /beds and bringing food into the units.

This would not be a problem if the dealers would absorb the cost of repairing damage as it is incurred but they do not. Most dealerships are shameful in terms of how they let dreamer customers run rough-shod over inventory in stock. Yet they want you to pay as close to retail for a new product (that could be characterized as USED) that is more of a commodity that a product worthy of price at retail.

We are serious buyers with cash to make the deal happen but the purchase process is the most irritating aspect of the RV lifestyle. My conscious will not let me release $80-$90K under these conditions.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:05 PM   #437
Platinum Member

I agree with this. I looked at a new 59K at a local dealer last fall and there were 5-6 things that were broke on it. It had probably been sitting outside at the dealership for 6 months with 4-6 families per day crawling through it with no supervision. It had also probably been at a couple RV shows. It probably required several hundred dollars in repairs including the swivel seat, bathroom door, a couple cabinet doors, etc.. I walked away thinking that the build quality was pretty poor but it had probably just been misused for 6 months.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:57 PM   #438
Silver Member

I can't comment on how a 59K looks after months at a dealership. The one we looked at was OK, but we ended up ordering a new one. After the new one arrived at the dealer my wife and I did a full walk through of the RV, before retuning a few days later to pay the remainder of the cost (the down payment required to order the 59K was $5000).
We took six trips last summer - the longest was two weeks (3000 miles), and the others were a mix of 3-5 days. Most of the time we had no hookups; we only had water & electric for 3 nights total, and electric only for 2 more nights.
Here's what I found. If I parked in the sun, the solar panel was enough to let us run for 3 days without depleting the batteries and still using the refrigerator. A second panel would be great, but I won't mount it on the roof. Most of the time we were in the shade, so an external panel that I could place in the sun would be more useful. I don't have any experience with Onan generators, or why people don't like them, but in places with full shade we ran the generator about an hour a day to charge the batteries, and it worked fine. We also went sightseeing on many days, so that also charged the batteries.
The bathroom/shower/sink hot water system worked fine. The shower curtain is fiddly, but we don't bring it all the way around - I leave the medicine chest side (including the toilet & sink) free of the curtain. As Wincrasher pointed out, that makes it much easier to shave, and the water doesn't damage anything. The sliding doors are not the most robust, but they work.
We found we could stock the galley with 4-5 days worth of food without any problem. We like fresh fruit and vegetables, so even a bigger frig would not help us. If the weather is nice we cook outside on a Coleman stove; otherwise we cook inside. I don't miss an inverter, as I'd rather save the batteries for the 12V refrigerator.
Driving the 59K was OK; we averaged 17.8 mpg for the summer.
We had one problem with the camper - the electric step would not come put on our last trip - I had to use a wrench to extend it manually. (It would retract OK.) The dealer fixed it promptly.
That's my quick summary. We are happy with it, even on rainy days. The Paseo wasn't available when we bought the 59K, but it would have been out of our price range anyway. We are confident enough in the 59K to be planning a 6 week trip later this year.
Howard
gk&hc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #439
Silver Member

Default Boondocking has degrees

I am pleased 59G owner (16)

21,000 Miles of mostly off the grid camping with a 3 year old.

The limiting factor for us is water and black tank, but we are straight up camping...

We use absolutely zero 120 volt. the two AGM batteries easily gets us through a day with solar, or maybe the occasional idling of the motor to top off after dark so that we can run the truma in Gas mode.

we heat one tank of water a day to do dishes, rarely take real showers, the men use nature's bathroom when convenient.

As a camping vehicle, the stock Travato excels.

I have no interest in bringing all of the comforts of a modern home into the wilderness, but the sleeping arrangements, propane fridge, indoor dining options, and lavatory make extended stays in the wilderness much more comfortable with young kids.

Now, having said that, we hate crowded camp grounds and only use them as a necessity when traveling the interstate. If we find electric, we hook up, but if not no sweat at all. We have never even turned the TV on...

The stereo uses almost no power, nor does the all led lighting system. We stayed parked on a trout stream in CO for 4 days before we thought maybe we should top off water. our propane was barely impacted even with nights in the 30s. the black tank was a 3/4.

Like i said, thats 3 people.

After 4 days we were ready for new surroundings, so a quick stop to dump and top off was no big issue.

As for durability, we have had no issues save for the complete POS screen door which I de-installed in Ohio and threw in a dumpster. Other than that the Travato has held up to all of the abuse a raised-in-the-wild, 3 year old complete maniac boy can throw at it.

We are looking at maybe building a 4x4 ARV or outside van, but neither one really appeals to us. We feel that the ARV is too fancy and dont think it would work for filthy nomadic mountain biker-climber-fishermen.

Also, no bed for the boy.

The outside van has no real Lavatory, which is a deal killer for the Mrs.

Each of the above examples, while super sweet in their own right, cost over $200k.

I am fortunate not to really care all that much about the cost, but I feel like the $74000 Travato is a pretty great adventure platform, for 2016 Suburban money.

If i am going to Blow 200k, I would think about the tiger RV, as the seating configs are great for kids, and they have serious Off-road chops.

The FWD configuration of the promaster is surprisingly great and the chassis is surprisingly durable.

For someone willing to CAMP it adds a surprising level of luxury, if you are truely looking for a backcountry home away from home and want a Kuereg, hair drier, 2x showers a day, i would say look elsewhere.

My point friends, Travato is a great Camper van, not really a full blown motorhome IMHO
riplips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #440
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplips View Post
I am pleased 59G owner (16)

21,000 Miles of mostly off the grid camping with a 3 year old.

The limiting factor for us is water and black tank, but we are straight up camping...

We use absolutely zero 120 volt. the two AGM batteries easily gets us through a day with solar, or maybe the occasional idling of the motor to top off after dark so that we can run the truma in Gas mode.

we heat one tank of water a day to do dishes, rarely take real showers, the men use nature's bathroom when convenient.

As a camping vehicle, the stock Travato excels.

I have no interest in bringing all of the comforts of a modern home into the wilderness, but the sleeping arrangements, propane fridge, indoor dining options, and lavatory make extended stays in the wilderness much more comfortable with young kids.

Now, having said that, we hate crowded camp grounds and only use them as a necessity when traveling the interstate. If we find electric, we hook up, but if not no sweat at all. We have never even turned the TV on...

The stereo uses almost no power, nor does the all led lighting system. We stayed parked on a trout stream in CO for 4 days before we thought maybe we should top off water. our propane was barely impacted even with nights in the 30s. the black tank was a 3/4.

Like i said, thats 3 people.

After 4 days we were ready for new surroundings, so a quick stop to dump and top off was no big issue.

As for durability, we have had no issues save for the complete POS screen door which I de-installed in Ohio and threw in a dumpster. Other than that the Travato has held up to all of the abuse a raised-in-the-wild, 3 year old complete maniac boy can throw at it.

We are looking at maybe building a 4x4 ARV or outside van, but neither one really appeals to us. We feel that the ARV is too fancy and dont think it would work for filthy nomadic mountain biker-climber-fishermen.

Also, no bed for the boy.

The outside van has no real Lavatory, which is a deal killer for the Mrs.

Each of the above examples, while super sweet in their own right, cost over $200k.

I am fortunate not to really care all that much about the cost, but I feel like the $74000 Travato is a pretty great adventure platform, for 2016 Suburban money.

If i am going to Blow 200k, I would think about the tiger RV, as the seating configs are great for kids, and they have serious Off-road chops.

The FWD configuration of the promaster is surprisingly great and the chassis is surprisingly durable.

For someone willing to CAMP it adds a surprising level of luxury, if you are truely looking for a backcountry home away from home and want a Kuereg, hair drier, 2x showers a day, i would say look elsewhere.

My point friends, Travato is a great Camper van, not really a full blown motorhome IMHO

Great write-up. You should send that to WGO. IMO it reflects exactly what they were trying to do with the Travato. One of the things I have learned in life and it translates to RV ownership is to evaluate what works for YOU not what is in a brochure, website, or works for someone else that has totally different needs. Sounds like some awesome trips.

For instance, it seems that several ARV's are used for dog shows and have custom crates, etc. for that purpose... an ARV seems perfect for that kind of person that needs reliable AC off grid, and space and comfort for fancy dogs. I for one would struggle with coming in from a rainy hike with mud all over the place and step foot in most of the ARV's I have seen with the beautiful wood and leather... looking at those interiors I feel like I would need to use a coaster for my beer let alone leaving a trail of mud everywhere. I would prefer something much easier to clean... OSV is more my speed but way too expensive. I have a feeling our next van would be built by Van Specialties and be similar to an OSV style finish to the interior but with an enclosed bathroom or maybe WGO will build their Adventure Sprinter and I would buy that.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote