Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #1

Default Winnebago Warranty

Why is the Winnebago warranty on a new rig only 12 months where some of the competition (e.g., Roadtrek, Hymer) are as long as 66 months? That's always bugged me, given the level of teething issues encountered on most RVs, and do most who purchase a new Winnebago vehicle get an extended warranty? Just curious. I guess used is where the real value lies, taking into account depreciation and correction of all those initial problems.
RVNoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNoobie View Post
Why is the Winnebago warranty on a new rig only 12 months where some of the competition (e.g., Roadtrek, Hymer) are as long as 66 months? That's always bugged me, given the level of teething issues encountered on most RVs, and do most who purchase a new Winnebago vehicle get an extended warranty? Just curious. I guess used is where the real value lies, taking into account depreciation and correction of all those initial problems.

There is no free lunch in this world.
You paid for the warranty service. The price in factored into the purchase price.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I am not an expert so someone should correct me if I'm wrong.

There are three types of warranties: 1. those that are for the subcomponents such as the refrigerator, solar array, etc.; 2. the warranty provided by the manufacturer of the chassis (Ford, Dodge, etc.); 3. and then there is the overall warranty from the upfitter (Winnebago, Roadtrek, Coachmen, etc.)

Most things in the conversion are going to go wrong in the first year and if it concerns a subcomponent (usually) some upfitters are going to refer you to the subcomponent manufacturer for redress, but they will expect you to have the work (installation, repair) performed at a warranty service center. These are often booked far in advance and not conveniently located.

I had a problem with my Carefree awning; Coachmen sent me a list of about 30 warranty repair facilities, sorted by distance from my home. I called the first 8 on the list and was willing to drive 90 miles. None would take me inside of three months. Then I called other local facilities and they flat out told me they wouldn't touch warranty work.

Remember that some of these warranty facilities were almost two hours away? I was going to have to take my coach in with a chaser car to bring me home and leave it there until they had time to look at it, determine the problem, order the part, receive the part, install it, and then I was going to have to get a ride back to pick it up. The total cost for the "warranty" work would have been (at government estimates for mileage reimbursements) 90 miles at $0.55/mile times 4 trips (round trip for coach and chaser car). That's $198.00, two days of my time and no coach for who knows how long.

I contacted Coachmen and they authorized me to go to a local facility. We got a new motor from Carefree (free - under warranty) and had it installed, but it looks like the motion sensor failed and that caused the motor to fail so now we have asked for a sensor from Carefree. So far, we have spent $120 to have the motor installed. Might have to spend $120 more to get the sensor put in, but the repair guy thinks it will be half that. The facility is 15 minutes away from my house and he only has the coach while he's working on it.

Coachmen says they will reimburse me for the repair, but even if they don't, I'm financially ahead and had use of my coach for the past six weeks.

Unless you live close to an authorized repair facility and trust them to do good work, I don't think warranties are very useful.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
You paid for the warranty service. The price in factored into the purchase price.
Makes sense. Didn't think of it that way.
RVNoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNoobie View Post
Makes sense. Didn't think of it that way.
WITH THE Roadtrek warranty service,
the dealers will schedule your appointment months in the distance.
Some dealers won't even talk to you if you did not buy from them.

It has been discussed here and in many forums
that RT is slow in paying the bills,
so most of the dealers would rather do the cash jobs first, and schedule the warranty service for the slower times.

The 6 yrs warranty is not without merit; if something major breaks down, I am sure you will be happy that you've got it.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #6

Winnebago Warranty. Heck you can get a dishwasher with a longer warranty. If they have such a "grand product" then back it with a legitimate warranty. Way to many things to go wrong with them (and they do) to tell folks who pay 100's of thousands of dollars, y!ou get our 12 month warranty. Oh Boy
mackcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackcs View Post
Winnebago Warranty. Heck you can get a dishwasher with a longer warranty. If they have such a "grand product" then back it with a legitimate warranty. Way to many things to go wrong with them (and they do) to tell folks who pay 100's of thousands of dollars, y!ou get our 12 month warranty. Oh Boy
You obviously don't understand how warranties work in the RV world. They are not the same as the automotive industry.
Winnebago units as most others have 3 warranties, WGO's on the coach build and the material they manufacture, each individual outside sourced component, AC units, hot water heaters etc have their own manufacturer's warranty, usually 2 years, and the chassis warranty, Ford, RAM, GM and MB.

RV companies that have anything more charge for those extra years in the "sticker" price of the unit. I for one feel they are not worth the extra $$$

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

One's personal experience with RV warranties form the basis of their opinions.

Those new to RVing would likely think that longer warranties are better and, in theory, that is likely or at least should be correct.

In practice however, both long or short warranties can limit your choice of repair facility and/or result in substandard repairs.

#1 - read the fine print of the warranty. You might be surprised to find some items have shorter time limits than you expect form the long warranty.

I've never purchased a brand new RV but have had a nearly new unit with a warranty that transferred to me. A claim to Roadtrek for peeling paint on a part they painted was declined as the warranty for that painted item was limited to only one year. Check your long warranty for limitations as some items will have shorter time limits.

I had a short term dealer supplied warranty on another used RV. They agreed to fix the two items claimed for immediately after purchase. Item one was for a non-starting Onan generator. The dealer removed and cleaned the fuel solenoid but severely twisted the wiring to near breaking point in doing so. It was either a lazy or inexperienced tech doing the job. I would have done the job way better myself.

Photo:
onan solenoid.JPG

Item two was for a propane tank leaking at the float housing. The dealer managed to break off the float in the tank when attempting the repair! Then several weeks passed and they still weren't able to source the part they broke. I sourced the part and installed it myself within one week. It was a big job for DIY but at least it was done right.

That free warranty was useless and a waste of my time. It cost me time, effort and money!

Some folks end up having to travel hundreds of miles and use up valuable vacation days to use their free warranty
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

Good points markopolo.

ps. The Roadtrek 6 yr warranty does not include the AGM batteries. They are warrantied for 1 yr only.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
Platinum Member

An Advanced RV warranty is for everything bumper to bumper going on three years. If you are caught on the road they will partner with any RV repair service, including Mercedes Benz, overnight the parts and give written and verbal instructions for the repair. Obviously they pay promptly for that service. In my experience, they get you in and out without any delay. In extreme cases they fly their own technician out to you. I got together with 14 Advanced RVs at Reyes Point, CA for a Fest and discovered many stories of the same satisfactory experiences by the other owners. They take care of you. That includes things like refrigerators and air conditioning not working. They don't pass it on to the equipment warranties.

If you visit Advanced RV you get prompt service for any nagging problem. You are on first name basis and have access with all their employees. It's a unique experience.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote