Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default winter covers

I am experiencing "cover overload". I have been looking for a cover for our 2001 Roadtrek 200P, and I am trying to figure out what the best cover would be for winters in northern Vermont. Any suggestion on brands, construction techniques or best materials would be greatly appreciated. We live on the eastern shore of Lake Champlain where we experience high winds, deep drifts, and sub-zero nights. We would like to be able to uncover"Artie" midwinter in order to make a trek down south and not have to worry about damaging, cracking or ripping the cover at that time. Thanks in advance for your response.
Moonmanvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: winter covers

tough one ............

I the trip south is pretty likely I'd probably not cover it in the winter. I wouldn't want to get stuck here because a cover is frozen in place.

If the cover is wet or snow or ice covered and you take it off ----- then what do you do with it? Covers are big. I had one on my RT and would take it off when dry well ahead of a planned trip. I just never wanted to get stuck with handling a big wet cover.

I had one of the Roadtrek custom fitted covers when I was on the West Coast. (mild winters) It stayed on all winter with no damage but I did add a few extra cords to make sure it was snug.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I've had condensation consequences when I tightly tarped my earlier tent trailer and motorcycle. I would think that a cover should NOT touch the unit so there is a chance for air circulation.
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:20 AM   #4
Silver Member

We owned a small 15' TT and had a cover for it. What a pain to cover and uncover. With our Roadtrek with have a steel carport, with the option if we want to enclose it sometime in the future. Protects it from trees, snow, hail, etc.
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

I don't bother covering mine and it has been fine so far getting it in or out of our driveway,
weather permitting. I'd think the previous poster's idea of a carport of some sort to keep
tree/bird debris off of it is probably the best route with an option to partially enclose the
sides with some sort of half fence.

btw, on a somewhat related topic, does anyone know what those tall wooden fences are in
the western and plains States? We see them in out in fields beside the Interstates, and they
usually appear to be at odd angles and don't appear to be built as an enclosure type fence.
We've seen them range in length from 40 to 50 yards to more than double that. Mostly they
seem to be in fields exposed to wind, and with little other natural cover like brush or trees.
We thought they might have been snow fencing to reduce drifting, or possibly as a sun shade
for cattle and other livestock.
Just curious if anyone knows what they're for?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Silver Member

My guess would be snow fences. Here in Wisconsin you'll find fences along highways and driveways in the winter.
yizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Thanks. Here in Ontario, we see the smaller snow fencing (usually thin cedar colored wooden stakes, held together with wire, and about 3-4 feet tall), stretched out beside our roads just to create drifts at specific points away from the roadway. Rarely do we see the larger ones like out west in the US, that look like they were made of pressure treated wood, or we even saw some that looked artificial, maybe plastic or light aluminum. Our guess was snow fencing too.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #8

I bought a cover from these folks:
http://stores.ebay.com/StopByUs?_trksid=p4340.l2563

It has survived two winters and is reasonably well-made for the price. It is definitely not a custom fit for our '06 RT C190P but is big enough. It came with a steel cable but we use 8 spring clamps (2 on each side) to secure the cover to the underside of the RT. Like all covers it is a pain to use, isn't pretty, and (as markopolo said) we have to keep an eye on the weather when planning winter travel so I don't end up with a cover that's frozen solid. I couldn't bring myself to pop for the $700+ cover sold at roadtrekboutique.com so what we have is adequate...for now.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Mike,

They are snow fences. You'll notice too that they are set back off the side of the road a ways. That is because they don't block the snow behind the fence but create a turbulence where the snow falls back down and stacks up in front of the fence (road side). Most are temporary slat fences put up just for the winter, but at some critical trouble areas permanent fences are built.

I don't cover my B over the winter. I do make sure after the leaves have fallen that I get up on the roof and thoroughly clean them off and at the windshield cowling and wipers. On my previous Pleasure-Way I had an exterior privacy windshield cover. I used that but once in the winter. Just that little bit was a major pain to remove once snow accumulated, ice formed and it stuck to the windshield. So I imagine a full body cover would be next to impossible to remove in the winter if snow and ice covered.

Another thing not to do with an RV parked outside. Do not run a heater with snow on the B. It will melt snow but that melted snow will re-freeze at doors, windshield wipers and hood. Made that mistake once prepping for a March trip. I also suspect a heater would be an invite for pest invasion.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Thanks, my first thought was they were snow fences, but thought there might be a chance they
had some other insidious purpose. They seem to inhabit large expanses of flat land near interstate
highways. I can't recall seeing anything similar near here. In rural Ontario areas where wind issues arise,
I have seen many farms use long cedar hedges as wind breaks. I suspect our plains provinces probably use
the large fences like yours, but I have yet to confirm that.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #11
Platinum Member

I went really cheap and just got a large tarp for my 19' as I don't have room for a metal carport. It covers all of the back and most of the front. I fasten it down with short bungee cords. It usually lasts a couple of years at least. Their only problem is they tear fairly easily and you can only put so much duct tape (on the underside) before it doesn't work anymore.

I was thinking of getting a more permanent one, like in canvas. Anyone have any experience with canvas covers?
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Covers are a risk/reward deal to me.
I've seen some vehicles get surface damage to paint and even chrome from covers that were wind
blown, and over time rubbed the painted surfaces. You could tell which cars had a "bra" from the
worn paint around the loose edges, or when they removed them to wash the car. Ugly.
The alternative is sun damage and potentially hail/snow/bird droppings/space debris/etc.....
If I was going to cover my van, I think I'd go with one of those tent/gazebo type covers.
No surface contact, and some protection from the overhead elements.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Bronze Member

I have a winter cover for mine that I bought at Edmonton RV for about $350.00. Every fall I put my van to bed and wake her up in the spring. Have not had any issues with wind, but I live on an acreage in the trees. I've had it 8 years now and no problems with it.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0141_1.JPG (141.7 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg 607-0727_IMG_1.JPG (62.0 KB, 414 views)
WAPITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I prefer the weather depicted in the lower picture, thank you.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Gold Member

I briefly considered getting one of those canvas garages to use for winter storage of the RT.

Of course the most popular ones are too small, being intended for cars, but the next larger size appears to have adequate height and width for the RT.

Now that winter is approaching an end I see they are selling them at a discount.

It would be a good solution if you intend to leave partway through winter, just untie the access panel drive the vehicle out and seal the shelter up again!

I hear that in some jurisdictions that a building permit is required to erect these units. They do not seem to have got around to that here! Yet!

Mike; We did not go South to PG this year. After 20 years we thought we should stay home and tough it out!
Hallibagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #16
Platinum Member

You picked the right winter to stay home.
We were thinking of heading south to meet family near I-95 in South Carolina.
The weather down there has stalled things for a few days at least.
It's terrible how those people got slammed with bad weather over the last week or so.
Getting as bad as last year, when tornadoes hammered that area.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Gold Member

Hi Mike,
You are right - What a winter!

I see the tornadoes have started - but out in the MidWest this time.

Back to the 'Plastic Garages': I see a 20ft long by 10ft wide shelter with 10ft high 'door', with 1 3/8"diameter, powder coated steel tubing frames, is selling for $240 at the Princess Auto chain of stores in Canada. It's almost worth buying and using one year and then dumping it! A bit tight fore and aft. Not a good idea to sit in there with the engine running!

Hang in there, it will be +11C next week, that's 52F.

Deryck
Hallibagger is offline   Reply With Quote