Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Winter hibernation

Just returned from a check on my van. It's stored outdoors with no cover. Since I last visited it about 6 weeks ago, it's suffered through a major blizzard, several more snowstorms and temperatures as low as -30 Celsius.
Happines is finding the coach battery at 100% (solar roof panel and charge controller), no trace of moisture inside and the engine starting at a turn of the key. I didn't take it for a drive, but ran the transmission through the gears, rolled it back and forth and left it parked so the tires are resting on a different point on the tread. Next check may be in Feb when I take it out to head south for a few weeks.
Les
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Winter hibernation

It just gives a great sense of satisfaction and pleasure doesn't it, when all systems are go in the dead of winter. My van is in a heated garage in Edmonton, so I don't have the same issues as you. But I do go in from time to time to stroke it. Come up and help me shovel the snow sometime
2011 Malibu LT - wonderful winter wheels
Johnny R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Mine sits in an un-heated shop just waiting to break away and go. Have to check almost everyday and see if the Queen B has broke and run. In the meantime I read all the Q and A's about all motorhomes and systems, even if they don't concern my B. Am I wasting my time or am I just obsessed? Just sittin on the deck of the house, wastin time!
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Gold Member

Thanks for the invitation, Johnny, but I know you've had far more snow up there than we have. Mild break today, so everything is really slushy. And, yes, it's nice to know that when I do go to take it out, there won't be any problems.
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Mine are suffering through our first major snowstorm of the season, today. They are both outside but are plugged in, daisy chained together actually. The B is plugged into the GFI outlet on the front of the house, and the trailer is plugged into the outlet on the side of the B. The brownish looking thing sitting on the tongue of the trailer in the picture is my wife's lighted fake rock (constantly changes colors) that I plugged into the outlet on the side of the trailer. As long as it is lit, I know the GFI hasn't tripped and the power is on to both. Next year I plan to run power to the garage and put a 30A outlet on each side. I may invest in a cover for the B too.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-15-2013b.jpg (235.8 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg 12-15-2013a.jpg (224.1 KB, 342 views)
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I put a 30A outlet on the side of my detached garage and store the B outside. I do blow all the snow off the roof and sides and around the the ground after every snowfall with a leaf blower.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Platinum Member

AmCruiser,

We've just been hit by the same storm that hit you. The first real storm of the season. Can't wait 'till February when we plan on going south for a few weeks.

Oh, and don't forget to close the garage door before the next storm hits

William
WJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We had that storm yesterday so it was cleanup time today.
The B van is plugged in and tucked away in the unheated garage. It starts a little rough when really cold but is ok when it warms up. It has a block heater plug that I haven't used yet but think I should when it is really cold and I want to start it. The main garage doors and driveway are to the right in the photo. I keep that clear too all winter just in case we get the urge to go somewhere.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg tucked away in garage.jpg (56.2 KB, 230 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote