Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 150
Default Winterizing question

This is the first time I have ever had to winterize my RV. I blew it out with air and then I started pumping in the antifreeze; however, when I pumped in the antifreeze, it came out of the cold side fine, but wouldn't come out of any of the hot water side. I blew out the hot water tank and then I shut off the water in and out of the hot water tank. I also made sure the bypass is open, but nothing coming out of the hot water side in the shower or sink.

Any ideas?
__________________

saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Team
 
avanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,595
Default

Sure sounds like the bypass isn't configured properly. Perhaps one of the valves is wrong?

Not that you asked, but do you REALLY want to put that pink stuff in your fresh water system? I have found that a proper blow-out is adequate. I save the antifreeze for my traps and macerator.
__________________

__________________
Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (Sprinter 2500 T1N)
Now!: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (Sprinter 3500 NCV3 I4)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Platinum Member
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 7,512
Default

Some bypass configurations rely on a check valve installed on the water heater outlet. The outlet is where hot water comes out of. That check valve prevents water or plumbing antifreeze from entering the outlet. The check valve is a one way flow spring loaded valve. There's no handle on it to turn and its operation is automatic.

That check valve can fail and allow plumbing antifreeze to enter the outlet.

If plumbing antifreeze is entering the water heater when the manual turn bypass valves are in the bypass positions then the check valve likely needs to be replaced.

CheckValve.jpg
__________________
Two bikes on sliding cargo box: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/m...icture206.html & 1997 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van Specifications: https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...vana-5864.html
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

Not that you asked, but do you REALLY want to put that pink stuff in your fresh water system? I have found that a proper blow-out is adequate. I save the antifreeze for my traps and macerator.
I don't; however, i thought it was necessary. i bypassed my freshwater tank, so I feel good about that. i'll just flush it real good in the spring.

Thanks.
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Some bypass configurations rely on a check valve installed on the water heater outlet. The outlet is where hot water comes out of. That check valve prevents water or plumbing antifreeze from entering the outlet. The check valve is a one way flow spring loaded valve. There's no handle on it to turn and its operation is automatic.

That check valve can fail and allow plumbing antifreeze to enter the outlet.

If plumbing antifreeze is entering the water heater when the manual turn bypass valves are in the bypass positions then the check valve likely needs to be replaced.

Attachment 6569
Mine doesn't have one. Good tip though. Thanks.
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 150
Default

When I blew out the system, I did have air coming out of both hots sides... We did have a freeze over night before I was able to get the AF in. Maybe there was some frozen water blocking the hot water line....hummmm. I thought blowing it out would definitely prevent that.

Guess I will find out in the spring.
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 14
Default

Some folks around here use cheap vodka in their boats to winterize the fresh water system. Less tragic if you fail to completely rinse it out in the spring.
Frankshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: IN
Posts: 17
Default

Blowing out a system doesn't always guarantee all the water is out. Especially in the hot water heater depending on design and model.
There is also nothing wrong with using the pink RV antifreeze. I've been using it for over 30 years in RV's . I use it in our own as well. I blow everything out and then run the antifreeze in. For our 20 gallon tank I use 6 gallons at most. Cheap insurance. It's no big deal to flush it out in the spring. It also helps in keeping system sanitized versus a system with just air in it.
Everyone has their own way whether be just blowing out , using antifreeze or doing both they all work depending on your system.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Platinum Member
 
hepcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: eastern Iowa
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Sure sounds like the bypass isn't configured properly. Perhaps one of the valves is wrong?

Not that you asked, but do you REALLY want to put that pink stuff in your fresh water system? I have found that a proper blow-out is adequate. I save the antifreeze for my traps and macerator.
I used to just blow out my RVs as well, however I found out the hard way that
water pumps, screen traps, toilet flush valves and other such parts don't always "blow out" as well as one might like. The pink stuff is non-toxic, easy to flush out, doesn't require the water to be blown out at all, and guarantees a good winter without having to replace 'stuff' in the Spring because it cracked from ice expansion. You can also completely winterize or re-winterize on the road using the pink stuff in just a few minutes if necessary.
__________________
1995 Coachmen B19 rear dinette, E250 chassis, 351W & E4OD trans
2006 Born Free 32RQ on a Kodiak chassis, 8.1L V8 & Allison 5spd trans
2016 Jeep JKU 6spd stick
hepcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 14
Default

I use the pink stuff (-50) as well. I run the pump until the tank is empty, bypass the water heater and drain it (I never found it necessary to run A/F into it). I think ours usually takes about 4 USgallons and I check protection level with a refractometer. This is the same procedure used on many boats up here in rural Maine (except we use -100 in boat engines).
__________________

Frankshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.