Old 02-17-2019, 08:51 PM   #21

Hi, first post here but been reading the forum for years.

I'd have to agree that Thor could pick up the remains of EHGNA if they want to expand their Class B line up.

None of us know how enthusiastic Thor was with Hymer including EHGNA in the initial negotiation ... they may have been forced by Hymer to include it initially. When the scandal broke, it could've given Thor an "out" which they took. A possibility.

I don't know what the tariff situation would be, but, with the current exchange rate, Thor could continue manufacturing in Ontario.

Or, Thor can do nothing and watch a competitor proceed to bankruptcy giving them a path to expand themselves knowing they only have Winnebago as their prime competitor now.

I don't see, other than Thor, who, has either the capital or the desire, to buy EHGNA. The quality of RoadTrek was not the same as years past ... I read that employees' suggestions to improve quality fell on deaf ears ... guess the execs had other plans. Quality is usually easy to improve. Efficiencies in manufacturing can also be found.

Too much capital required for the smaller companies to fill the gap. The market share will fall to the larger B manufacturers.

BTW, my Class B has a separate rear wet bath which is used on a daily basis. I love some of the DIY designs until ... no indoor shower and no toilet.

If you want a video tour of my RV, search on scubastevee62 for my YouTube channel and you'll find it.

Cheers,
Steve

scubastevee62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:28 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrierTude View Post
Yes, these are the rationales I heard in Quartzite from the "no shower" crowd. And if it works for you, great.

I'm done years of backpacking and part of getting an RV was my admission that I just was getting too old to be a dirtbag anymore. I wanted some comforts.

Luckily years of California drought and water rationing have made me completely comfortable with water-wise showers.

I like having the "water proof" room as, besides a shower, it's a great place to hang up rain soaked clothes or bulky items i washed but don't want to pay to dry. The storage for garbage containers, cleaning supplies, etc. is also handy.

And since my shower in my teeny tiny Agile is so small, I don't feel I've given up a lot of space for it.

But it's whatever works for you.

Sure there are some dirty types. But most van travelers are using their gym memberships to have real showers since anytime fitness and planet fitness are pretty much in any half decent sized population zone. Or shower at the campgrounds. Or truck stops.

mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:46 AM   #23
Platinum Member

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/roadtre...oses-1.4301022
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 PM   #24
Platinum Member

There are new van builders popping up every month so if you want a van chances are your neighbor is building one to sell. #vanlife

We think the vans we build are up there with the best of what is available but there is so much competition now. We are continually working hard to improve our quality and innovation. We are a fully custom, low volume builder so definitely in a different category.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jostalli View Post
There are new van builders popping up every month so if you want a van chances are your neighbor is building one to sell. #vanlife

We think the vans we build are up there with the best of what is available but there is so much competition now. We are continually working hard to improve our quality and innovation. We are a fully custom, low volume builder so definitely in a different category.
Glad to hear it. I remember asking you a couple years ago on the Promaster forum if you planned to build vans for a living when you had your van up for sale. At the time it wasnt on the radar. You should have no issues making money, your van back then was very nice.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
Glad to hear it. I remember asking you a couple years ago on the Promaster forum if you planned to build vans for a living when you had your van up for sale. At the time it wasnt on the radar. You should have no issues making money, your van back then was very nice.
Thank you!

We kept getting requests from folks to build them a van so I finally decided to turn it into a business. Now we are booked until October.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:48 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you!

We kept getting requests from folks to build them a van so I finally decided to turn it into a business. Now we are booked until October.
Thats awesome and answers the question of this thread. 40hoursoffreedom are also booked out for awhile. Small builders arent able to do a ton of vans per year but it does show people are willing to pay for quality even if its not from a big brand name.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #28
Platinum Member

That's great news, Jostalli. I’m sure your customers are pleased with your quality.

Build Site: www.msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #29

I donít think Roadtrek is gone. The name and reputation is worth a lot of money. Somebody will get it going again and continue to build quality Class B. Itís Erwin Hymer who messed up and they own the bad rap.
Kaypay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #30

Quote:

Congratulations on going into business. I saw photos of your original van and was very impressed.

We are keeping busy enough just doing auxiliary electrical work and drop in "electrical kits".

I can't imagine trying to take on the entire vehicle.