Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Would you do it AGAIN..?

RV .... does it sound like "ruined vacation"???

I'm beginning to think that owning an RV is one disaster after another, i.e. maintenance..

I thought my generator switch merely failed.? generator starts fine, but won't stay on....oil level is perfect.....WTF???

Macerator failure after 7 years.... list goes on and on.......

Are you REALLY saving money using an RV over just staying in a hotel??

Frustrated......RV at the shop now...... Awaiting estimated cost...for all this....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post

I'm beginning to think that owning an RV is one disaster after another, i.e. maintenance..

I thought my generator switch merely failed.? generator starts fine, but won't stay on....oil level is perfect.....WTF???

Frustrated......RV at the shop now...... Awaiting estimated cost...for all this....

You purchased an RV to save money?

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Bud
Yeah, it's an adventure!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:

My RV is a little older than yours. I've had to fix or replace most major systems. Frustrating, but I'm ok so long as things now hold up. If I start replacing items or repairing the same things every year or so, then yeah, I'll change my mind to "it's a money pit".

But the RV lifestyle is the only way we'd travel. Somehow, the memories of our few trips so far, greatly outweigh any regrets.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I purchased the RV for freedom.

The freedom to sleep in my own dirt, not someone else's in a motel room.

The freedom to boondock camp on grand tours instead of having to stay at only campgrounds that have a shower. Let's see, 90 nights times $30 night to camp is $2700. Versys most nights free dispersed camping and some at $3-12 per night. Maybe $2-300 total. Or ninety nights in a room at say $100 night, nine grand. And there is really something depressing for me to travel using motels.

The freedom to travel without reservations. To me, that's priceless.

My alternative is a tent on the back of a motorcycle, which I am going to do starting 5 September for about three weeks. This does necessitate finding campgrounds with showers. It's not terribly difficult to find publicly owned campgrounds with showers in the SE US.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
Silver Member

Well, saving money never entered my mind when I bought any of my RVs. If your frustrated now just wait until your Mercedes needs a non warranty repair, and yes I would do it again.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Default How's your FOUR cylinder doing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman View Post
Well, saving money never entered my mind when I bought any of my RVs. If your frustrated now just wait until your Mercedes needs a non warranty repair, and yes I would do it again.
The 2.1 FOUR... and 7 speed.....is it much noiser than the V6?

How is climbing steep mountain grades? The Eisenhower pass in the Colorado Rockies comes to mind.?

On the other hand... probably a little more fuel efficiency than my 3.0 V6?

Yes...out of warranty...I have 43,000 miles now... purchased with 26,000 miles....

YES...an adventure....we took it across country last year....11,000 miles...

It's fun... saved us a lot on accommodations..... fuel a little more expensive...trade off...

Here's the thing...you can't stay in a remote area more easily than the RV... there's no hotels in the remote areas with the natural surroundings like that....

So... experience, experience , experience...
Old 08-28-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default No, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Bud
I didn't want to just have a place for flushing money either....
Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
The 2.1 FOUR... and 7 speed.....is it much noiser than the V6?

How is climbing steep mountain grades? The Eisenhower pass in the Colorado Rockies comes to mind.?

On the other hand... probably a little more fuel efficiency than my 3.0 V6?
You keep making snide comments about the OM-651 powertrain. Have you ever driven one? If not, I suggest you go over the Sprinter-Source and spend a few minutes with the search function. Let me save you some time: You will discover thread after thread in which owners absolutely swoon about this engine/transmission combination. See how many negative comments from owners that you can find. I can't remember even one. All the negative comments are from people who assume that a 4-cylinder engine is "obviously" too small. These are the same kinds of people who constantly claim that 20K oil changes are "obviously" too long. Opinions are nice. Facts are better.

The last time you brought this up, you referenced the myth that these engines have frequent timing chain failures. Then you posted a link to a thread that, if you actually read it, you will discover that it debunks this claim. The OM-651 was new on the Sprinter in MY2014, but it was hardly new to Mercedes. It has been used in a great many MB vehicles all over the world since 2008. I have heard it claimed that Mercedes has shipped more of these engines than any other, although I do not know this for a fact. If this powertrain had a deep problem, it would be well-known by now, and not just by a couple of guys in England.

This is a marvel of an engine. It is quite, powerful, economical, well-behaved, and reliable (ignoring the MB emissions horrors). Except in a few notch scenarios, it is superior to the 6-cylinder engine in every way. We can only hope that its successor the OM-654 will be as good.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #10
Silver Member

RA , My former Sprinter was a 2013 with the V6. The I4 is slightly noisier at idle and low speed , at highway speed it is as quiet if not quieter than V6.

I get about 2 more mpg with the i4. Mountain passes have never had me wishing I had my v6 back. When trying overtake other vehicles above 60 mph The i4 could use some help. It is slow to get up to passing speed. That is really the only time I miss the v6.

The 7 speed transmission is so smooth it makes the 5 speed seem like something from the Stone Age.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Why was it discontinued?? yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
You keep making snide comments about the OM-651 powertrain. Have you ever driven one? If not, I suggest you go over the Sprinter-Source and spend a few minutes with the search function. Let me save you some time: You will discover thread after thread in which owners absolutely swoon about this engine/transmission combination. See how many negative comments from owners that you can find. I can't remember even one. All the negative comments are from people who assume that a 4-cylinder engine is "obviously" too small. These are the same kinds of people who constantly claim that 20K oil changes are "obviously" too long. Opinions are nice. Facts are better.

The last time you brought this up, you referenced the myth that these engines have frequent timing chain failures. Then you posted a link to a thread that, if you actually read it, you will discover that it debunks this claim. The OM-651 was new on the Sprinter in MY2014, but it was hardly new to Mercedes. It has been used in a great many MB vehicles all over the world since 2008. I have heard it claimed that Mercedes has shipped more of these engines than any other, although I do not know this for a fact. If this powertrain had a deep problem, it would be well-known by now, and not just by a couple of guys in England.

This is a marvel of an engine. It is quite, powerful, economical, well-behaved, and reliable (ignoring the MB emissions horrors). Except in a few notch scenarios, it is superior to the 6-cylinder engine in every way. We can only hope that its successor the OM-654 will be as good.
Please explain why they are no longer available.... here's the thing.... many cars .. use the same engine for a really long time....for example...my car used the same engine from 1989 to 2012...then it was redesigned...

2008 to 2018 is a pretty short run.....

And the OM 642 Mercedes Benz 3 litre V6 is still in production since it was introduced in 2005....

They don't spend a lot of money for research and development of a brand new engine like the OM 654 for nothing.... that's all I'm saying.....

Plus...my over riding point was that my personal mechanic in his professional opinion was that the V6 with the 5 speed transmission was a better balanced powerplant.

You never addressed the noise factor. OK... admittedly, I have not seen any of the FOURS... heard them or driven one..... how quiet is it.. you probably did test drive each of them... please tell me...
Old 08-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Didn't ARV have a video of some performance tests they ran between the four and six cylinder engines? I think it was up some hill near their factory, so not high altitude or mountains, but maybe relevant.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Didn't ARV have a video of some performance tests they ran between the four and six cylinder engines? I think it was up some hill near their factory, so not high altitude or mountains, but maybe relevant.
Here they are:

Old 08-29-2018, 12:26 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Thank you........

Here's some information from Kelly Blue Book.....the 2014 Sprinter......

Unlike its competitors, the 2014 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter is available only with diesel engines. Standard is a new 2.1-liter turbodiesel mated to a new 7-speed automatic transmission. The larger 3.0-liter turbodiesel V6 coupled with a smooth-shifting 5-speed automatic deliver a more satisfying mix of power, efficiency and refinement. While the rear-wheel-drive platform provides ample traction in most driving conditions, those who frequently encounter extreme weather might express a preference for an all-wheel-drive-equipped Chevrolet Express or GMC Savana.

2.1-liter turbodiesel inline-4
161 horsepower @ 3,800
265 lb-ft of torque @ 1,400-2,400 rpm
EPA city/highway fuel economy: NA

3.0-liter turbodiesel V6
188 horsepower @ 3,800 rpm
325 lb-ft of torque @ 1,400-2,400 rpm
EPA city/highway fuel economy: NA

I can imagine that the Mercedes Benz 2.1 FOUR is a little "short of breath" at passing especially between 55 and 75 MPH...

What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong???
Old 08-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:

I can imagine that the Mercedes Benz 2.1 FOUR is a little "short of breath" at passing especially between 55 and 75 MPH...

What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong???
Did you even watch the videos? They show the acceleration from 0-30 to be about the same, while from 30-60 the I4 takes much longer. And yet owners of the 4 cylinder seem satisfied. So it's not always discernible "by the numbers". If you can't tell from that, you've already been given good advice to go check them out for yourself.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:35 AM   #16
Platinum Member

No regrets.
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Default Rhetorical question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Did you even watch the videos? They show the acceleration from 0-30 to be about the same, while from 30-60 the I4 takes much longer. And yet owners of the 4 cylinder seem satisfied. So it's not always discernible "by the numbers". If you can't tell from that, you've already been given good advice to go check them out for yourself.
I know that the SIX CYLINDER is markedly faster especially as the speed increases....

Listen, I certainly appreciate that there's many very competent FOURS out there... I have a 2.5 FOUR in my Subaru Outback, but, it's not almost 10,000 pounds....

There's no way I would recommend a FOUR in the Mercedes Benz Sprinter.... would only consider as an " in town" vehicle....
Old 08-29-2018, 02:05 AM   #18
Platinum Member

There, that wasn't hard.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #19
Silver Member

Well after actually owning both I can say without a doubt the I4 7speed is the better overall power train. Has you mechanic owned both ??. I doubt it.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:30 AM   #20
Platinum Member

With the acceleration off the line similar, I can see that many people would be OK with four cylinder, as in an RV the acceleration from 40-75mph isn't as important and rarely run at full throttle anyway. In reality, I think I would ask how often does anyone driving a 10K# van pass anyone on a two lane road where that acceleration area would be needed. It really doesn't matter on a four lane. As long as it gets to speed and will hold it, even if it gets there slower, is what is important to most of us, as that is what counts climbing long grades.

It is just like arguing gas or diesel. There is no set answer, just opinions, and they can design a four cylinder that would romp on a V6 if they want to, just like they can design a gas engine to perform like a diesel. Generalities just don't fit these situations, and they only do fit personal biases.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote