Go Back   Class B Forums > Class B RV | Owners Forums > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV with no propane?
Yes 18 41.86%
No 25 58.14%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-19-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Site Team
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 5,914
Default Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV with no propane?

(I'm not talking about the motor.)
__________________

__________________
'97 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 52
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

This is an interesting thought. Before I settled on a Class B I was looking at class A GMC motorhomes and some of them were all electric. Being a Class A the generator was larger and would run the stove, water heater and other appliances and you could get away from the generator running easier in a Class A. This would be quite helpful as there are a few tunnels with propane restrictions around me. I was thinking that I could hang a propane bottle on it to run a furnace in the winter but keep it all electric in the other seasons. I do not think this would be practical in a Class B so I am answering NO to the poll but I would consider it in a larger coach.
Pete
__________________

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

Odd, actually my current class b is mostly electric, electric demand water heater, electric fridge, and there is a diesel heat booster on board. I do run the generator on propane but they make diesel generators. But the propane furnace is awfully convenient. So I would probably say no, not for the Sprinter based RVs. I was looking originally at the Vixen RVs, those have motor assist water heat and the same heat booster to heat the home and the water when the engine isn't running, and a heavy duty inverter to run the microwave. I guess am not opposed to no propane. Of course the stove in the Vixen is driven by alcohol, that's not gonna be easy to support...

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Arizona, HiDesert & Mountains
Posts: 180
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

Looks like a pretty old survey, but I wasn't on here then - So, I'll Vote YES to all elect. in a class 'B', anyway. Because I don't like propane, I've seen & heard of fires caused either by leaks &/or impact. I actually saw & rode past (on motorcycle) a small class C ablaze at the top of Monarch Pass in Colorado. Had to be a propane fire as it was burning the coach & not engine compart.
Also know 1st hand of a LARGE semi-based 'A' completely destroyed by a propane fire last summer while on the road.
So I vote for & use all elect. in our RoadTrek 190V with generator, 3 12v house batteries & of course 30 amp service when we do plug in. Ric.
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
Platinum Member
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,092
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ ADVenturist
Looks like a pretty old survey, but I wasn't on here then - So, I'll Vote YES to all elect. in a class 'B', anyway. Because I don't like propane, I've seen & heard of fires caused either by leaks &/or impact. I actually saw & rode past (on motorcycle) a small class C ablaze at the top of Monarch Pass in Colorado. Had to be a propane fire as it was burning the coach & not engine compart.
Also know 1st hand of a LARGE semi-based 'A' completely destroyed by a propane fire last summer while on the road.
So I vote for & use all elect. in our RoadTrek 190V with generator, 3 12v house batteries & of course 30 amp service when we do plug in. Ric.
Be careful in gas stations and refueling centres. You'd be amazed at how many RV-ers drive with some active pilot or open flame, or with the igniters fully charged and ready, while they refuel, either accidentally or consciously. It's absolutely insane, IMO.
I always look at the pump islands before I pull up to a vacant one If there's an RV at another one already, I wait until they finish and move on.
__________________
It's not a sprint(er) (unless you make it one), it's (hopefully) a marathon.
RV - 2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular (Chevy)
TV - 2009 F150 XLT SuperCrew / Toad - 2003 Chevy Cavalier
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Site Team
 
markopolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 5,914
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

Just bumping this up to try to get more votes in the poll.
Looks like 62% would NOT buy and all appliances electric RV and 38% WOULD so far. (mid October 2012)

The Roadtrek RS E-Trek is the first all electric appliance small RV I think. Are perceptions changing? Is the technology there?

Vote if you haven't already.
__________________
'97 GMC Savana 6.5L Turbo Diesel Custom Camper Van
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 347
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

I was thinking if I should go all electric if I bought a new one, It would need a genny though. From what I understand the electric frige can go for days on 1 battery. so if there was a bank of 2-4 batteries things would hold out good. it wouldn't be anything to run the genny for water so the only thing would be heat. to run the genny at night would cost about $10 at today's prices. still cheaper than a campground. From what I understand the blower motor on a propane furnace will kill a battery overnight.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 130
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

The technology isn't there yet, or at least not optimized. I'm not sure that the tech will be ready until there is the big breakthrough in battery tech that everyone from cell phone mfrs to motorhome users have been waiting for. I love it that people are pushing the envelope a bit, but right now it is more economical to have propane for at least heat and stove. One can dream though...
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,451
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit
The technology isn't there yet, or at least not optimized. I'm not sure that the tech will be ready until there is the big breakthrough in battery tech that everyone from cell phone mfrs to motorhome users have been waiting for. I love it that people are pushing the envelope a bit, but right now it is more economical to have propane for at least heat and stove. One can dream though...
I agree that the parts just aren't there yet. My guess, though, is that the breakthrough will come in the form of a better power generation source, like a fuel cell, but bigger and able to run on common fuel that is the same as the van. At that point, you don't need much for batteries.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #10
Platinum Member
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,092
Default Re: Would you purchase an "All Appliances Electric RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1g
I was thinking if I should go all electric if I bought a new one, It would need a genny though. From what I understand the electric frige can go for days on 1 battery. so if there was a bank of 2-4 batteries things would hold out good. it wouldn't be anything to run the genny for water so the only thing would be heat. to run the genny at night would cost about $10 at today's prices. still cheaper than a campground. From what I understand the blower motor on a propane furnace will kill a battery overnight.
it has been my experience that the fridge (Dometic 3-way evaporative) left on DC (if that's what you mean?), will suck 2 AGMs dry pretty fast. i've had the furnace run overnight pretty steadily (in 10F-15F temps) and had no battery power problems. as always, ymmv.
__________________

__________________
It's not a sprint(er) (unless you make it one), it's (hopefully) a marathon.
RV - 2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular (Chevy)
TV - 2009 F150 XLT SuperCrew / Toad - 2003 Chevy Cavalier
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.