Old 06-10-2018, 06:01 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Wouldn't you agree that time is more important than mileage?

In the world of RV'S, especially diesel engines....the number of years old your rig is is much more significant than the number of miles...in my opinion.....

Well maintained diesel engines can run for a half a million miles...and Class B's are known for being more mobiile than larger Class A rigs that get driven much less due to their fuel consumption...not to mention Class A's and C's that are gasoline engine models getting 5 MPG......

It's not uncommon to find many Class B's with well over 100,000 to 150,000 miles especially the Sprinter diesels....

What's your opinion on this???

Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
Bronze Member

I'm thinking a property maintained, recent model, commercial gas-engined van could easily make 100-150K miles as well. So I'm unsure if the math for the MB diesel really comes out ahead based purely on that criteria.

But if you just like the Sprinter for other reasons, then factor those in, too. It's certainly not a bad choice, just a different one...

dhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a quarter million miles on a maintained gas engine in today's world. My Chevy 5.7 is at 178 and counting. In the middle of another 10k mile trip now.

On TDY at Douglas City CA.
'98 Kawasaki KLR650
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The engines this day and age whether it be gas or diesel probably would not breakdown within anyone's expectation of owning the B. It is just the other nagging things that wear out throughout the chassis and coach. Unless the engine is belching smoke and leaking oil you might be good to go. Those are readily detectable things. It is kind of a moot topic for me because I will never buy a vehicle with over 100,000 miles with the exception of a classic vehicle.

I've spent a ton of money on my 2003 Subaru Baja maintaining it that I never would have bothered and will never recover if I sold it with any vehicle I would actually depend on. It is not that old and only has 103,000 miles but the previous owners abused it. Now that I have a huge garage I'm considering a classic Volkswagen Beetle from the 50s. My first car was one of two 1949 Beetles brought over by an Indianapolis car dealer before they started officially importing them in 1950. I bought it when I was 15 years old and gave it up in weak moment when I was away at college.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There is a lot of discussion on the Sprinter-Source forum about the life of the Sprinter diesel engine. Average speed over life of engine is more important than age or mileage.

From what I've read on that forum the only people getting 500,000 miles on their Sprinter are expediters that drive continually across country at highway speeds. They do that in less than five years often at over 100,000 miles a year.

The typical RV Sprinter diesel probably only has a useful life of 250,000 miles based on comments from various owners and mechanics on the Sprinter forum. The Mercedes lightweight automotive diesels are not the same as heavy truck diesels.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 06-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Just getting broken in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
There is a lot of discussion on the Sprinter-Source forum about the life of the Sprinter diesel engine. Average speed over life of engine is more important than age or mileage.

From what I've read on that forum the only people getting 500,000 miles on their Sprinter are expediters that drive continually across country at highway speeds. They do that in less than five years often at over 100,000 miles a year.

The typical RV Sprinter diesel probably only has a useful life of 250,000 miles based on comments from various owners and mechanics on the Sprinter forum. The Mercedes lightweight automotive diesels are not the same as heavy truck diesels.

- - Mike
SO....at 41,000 miles..my Sprinter is just barely getting broken in... doesn't use any oil... doesn't drop any fluids.... very clean...
Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
SO....at 41,000 miles..my Sprinter is just barely getting broken in... doesn't use any oil... doesn't drop any fluids.... very clean...

Agree - and my Sprinter at 100,000 miles is running great. Considering the value of a fully equipped B-van like my Interstate, where over 50% of the value is in the RV conversion components, having to replace an engine later in its useful life is not unreasonable.

- - Mike
Old 06-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Interesting response.... really...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The engines this day and age whether it be gas or diesel probably would not breakdown within anyone's expectation of owning the B. It is just the other nagging things that wear out throughout the chassis and coach. Unless the engine is belching smoke and leaking oil you might be good to go. Those are readily detectable things. It is kind of a moot topic for me because I will never buy a vehicle with over 100,000 miles with the exception of a classic vehicle.

I've spent a ton of money on my 2003 Subaru Baja maintaining it that I never would have bothered and will never recover if I sold it with any vehicle I would actually depend on. It is not that old and only has 103,000 miles but the previous owners abused it. Now that I have a huge garage I'm considering a classic Volkswagen Beetle from the 50s. My first car was one of two 1949 Beetles brought over by an Indianapolis car dealer before they started officially importing them in 1950. I bought it when I was 15 years old and gave it up in weak moment when I was away at college.
SO, David, you won't keep your van more than 60,000 to 65,000 miles...but, you're willing to hold onto a 2003 Subaru Baja... yes, I know they don't make those anymore... I also am a Subaru Outback owner...they seem more sensitive to age than miles.... mine is a 2010..

But, the most interesting of all is your desire to have an old VW from the 50s??? Yes, they're nostalgic...I had a 57 Chevy ... but, I would never purchase another 50s car..... just unsafe...

Look at getting multi layered head gaskets for your Subaru... they're more robust than the original .... just got my Subaru Outback Limited serviced at 85,000 miles... with everything ...
It's a nine years interval...for a major service with the timing belt, water pump thermostat and change of the radiator coolant.... Make sure you never overheat the Subaru.. I'm sure you know that...

Good luck and be safe in the old cars... accidents in older cars without safety features like airbags is extremely risky... just my opinion...
Old 06-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Value ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Agree - and my Sprinter at 100,000 miles is running great. Considering the value of a fully equipped B-van like my Interstate, where over 50% of the value is in the RV conversion components, having to replace an engine later in its useful life is not unreasonable.

- - Mike
Mike,

I cannot imagine that you would have to replace the engine until 250,000 minimum...

---MARK
Old 06-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Sense of safety is relative, I'm safer in on old car than on a motorcycle without a helmet. I won't do motorcycles, with or without a helmet. I would do an old car while paying attention as I imagine I would do if riding a cycle without a helmet.

jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote