Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 08:00 PM   #161
Platinum Member

The cassette may be just fine at a vault toilet or a traditional dump station outlet, there is a real possibility of a mishap dumping it into a gas station or rest stop toilet. Not only could you drop it lifting it above the toilet, but there is the possibility of overflowing the bowl, splashing, etc. Someone one the weaker side could really have a mess on their hands (and elsewhere). Even a healthy fit person could have some issues with it. I'd definately do a few test runs with one full of clean water to make sure I could do it without mishap.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #162
Platinum Member

Is it me, or does anybody else find it funny that the threads I start talking about Roadtrek end up in discussions about poop? LOL
Old 03-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #163
Gold Member

Nah Wincrasher.....They couldn't possibly be related....wink wink
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:51 AM   #164
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
One other point. Cassette toilets have their own water supply. They don't use water from your fresh water tank.
A port-a-potty has its own water supply, but most cassette toilets use water from the fresh water tank.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:31 AM   #165
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
A port-a-potty has its own water supply, but most cassette toilets use water from the fresh water tank.
Not the one in my tent trailer. Back then, all cassette toilets carried their own water. Now, I see many are plumbed into the RV's water. Not so sure that's an improvement.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #166
Platinum Member

Why are these vans, Hymer, Winnies, PW, LT etc all built either on a Dodge or Mercedes base?
Dodge, I personally have a problem with and when Fiat got into the mix it just diluted my opinion of them even more. Mercedes is a great name, but when I'm in Podunk Arkansas or where ever and need service what do I do?
I'm a Ford or even Chevy man. Every burg has a Ford or Chevy dealer if I need service on the road. I really like the Hymer Van, but the Dodge/Fiat combination frightens me. Anything coming down the pike that would appeal to me that anyone knows of.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 PM   #167
Platinum Member

There was a rumor that Winnebago is developing a Class B on the Ford Transit

Roadtrek still uses the Chevy van for several models but those a very different from the Hymer models...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:03 PM   #168
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
Why are these vans, Hymer, Winnies, PW, LT etc all built either on a Dodge or Mercedes base?
Dodge, I personally have a problem with and when Fiat got into the mix it just diluted my opinion of them even more. Mercedes is a great name, but when I'm in Podunk Arkansas or where ever and need service what do I do?
I'm a Ford or even Chevy man. Every burg has a Ford or Chevy dealer if I need service on the road. I really like the Hymer Van, but the Dodge/Fiat combination frightens me. Anything coming down the pike that would appeal to me that anyone knows of.
The main reason that up-fitters are using the MB and Dodge chassis is that there were the only high roof vans available before Ford brought its eurovan to the NA market last year. I understand your worries about the Fiat/RAM chassis in North America. Time will tell if it's built right. In Europe 80% of all RVs are built on this platform because its the best combination of FWD with a low floor, a wider cargo space at a much lower cost than the Sprinter. And it's catching up here.

Ford is a definite winner in the american cargo van market right now but it has odd roof heights for van conversions. Too high or too low. It will work for class C. Will see who wants to make a conversion for a B

My album with all the ProMaster campervans.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #169
Platinum Member

Many have a false sense of the service networks on these vans. You can't just drop in any Mercedes, Dodge or Ford dealer to get work on them. They have to be certified for them and they usually have to be a commercial dealer.

So far the 3 Promasters I've owned have been flawless - no adjustments or repairs of any kind have been needed. The body/structure design is well proven. The drivetrain is has a long track record in RAM trucks.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #170
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmp View Post
Well Mercedes because it was the only option for over a decade. The Promaster was chosen most likely because of price compared to the Mercedes and also because it is IMHO the best platform for a van conversion. There is a reason 75% of all motorhomes in Europe have the Fiat Ducato as the base vehicle (Ducato=Promaster). Yes that is ALL motorhomes in Europe. Not just van conversions. No need to be worried about the Fiat. I have a 2014 Promaster with 22k miles and have had zero issues except for recalls, which were promptly taken care of.
Jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #171

Default reason for slow customer service i guess

So that's why they don't return phone calls to customers or dealers!

Finally got through by chat and connected by email
ZiOsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote