Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Xplorer 230 rear cushions aka bed need help or ideas and measurements

I just bought a 1998 Xplorer 230 XLW and it just has a nasty queen mattress in the back. I had to repair some of the plywood from possibly leaking window or poor ventilation under the bed or both.

Anyway my problem is I only have one of the long cushions that snaps to the wall, all the others, I'm guessing 3, are MIA. I want to have the option of having the 2 twin beds in the back and then making it into a larger bed so if my dad or one of my kids or someone is camping with me we aren't stuck in one big bed. Also it would be nice to be able to use the back with the table as there isn't any other place for a table in the unit, though i could add something up front and spin around the front seats.

I've thought about some kind of a futon mattress, or having some made, or buying some kind of cot size mattress.

If someone has one of these units can you post the sizes of the original cushions and if you have chucked the original set up what are you doing/using now?
yvairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:24 AM   #2
Platinum Member

OK since I have a 97 PW I can't really provide you with those measurements but some comments:

Even though it's only my wife and I, we've found that the twin "beds" are the best option. We can leave them made up in the day with their top quilts tucked in. Thus we have table seating. But also if one of us wants to go to bed it's really easy.

However: our cushions are hard. So I'm considering either 1. Buying a queen size topper and cutting it in half so I can cover both beds. Or. 2. Having matresses made to the precise dimension.

To address #2: I've found that there are places which make all kinds of mattresses including intercoil where you can drive your RV over there and they will take the measurements and advise you on precise fit. That's probably the route I will eventually go since I believe interspring mattresses don't have the heat issues of foam.

Good luck and keep us posted. I'll do the same.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:12 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvairguy View Post
I just bought a 1998 Xplorer 230 XLW and it just has a nasty queen mattress in the back. I had to repair some of the plywood from possibly leaking window or poor ventilation under the bed or both.

Anyway my problem is I only have one of the long cushions that snaps to the wall, all the others, I'm guessing 3, are MIA. I want to have the option of having the 2 twin beds in the back and then making it into a larger bed so if my dad or one of my kids or someone is camping with me we aren't stuck in one big bed. Also it would be nice to be able to use the back with the table as there isn't any other place for a table in the unit, though i could add something up front and spin around the front seats.

I've thought about some kind of a futon mattress, or having some made, or buying some kind of cot size mattress.

If someone has one of these units can you post the sizes of the original cushions and if you have chucked the original set up what are you doing/using now?
Welcome to the forum yvairguy!

There's probably someone on this forum with your exact model who knows specifically what you're talking about. But for others, it would help if you could post a picture or your rear bed area. Use the "Manage Attachments" feature under "Additional Options" to upload pics.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #4

Congrats on the new (to you) RV! I have been looking for a 230 XLW myself. Any pics and more info on your Xplorer (miles, options, improvements, price perhaps?)

Congratulations again.
lupulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
Gold Member

yvairguy, hello & welcome to the forum. I have a 1999 230xlwt (t stands for twin bed as opposed to the power sofa/bed set up). Sounds like yours is a twin too. In our case, it's just the two of us and one small dog. We keep ours set up as twin beds for several reasons - the biggest reason for us is that in the twin mode, you can walk into the bedroom and sit down and swing your legs into bed just like at home - the queen set up means you can't walk past the bathroom/kitchen so you have to go on hands and knees to get into bed....for us this just doesn't work well.

To your questions, I have the backrest cushions wrapped and stored in the attic at home. I can get you some measurements if you need - in ours there are two long ones for the sides and two short ones at the head of the bed (a piece of plywood to fill in the foot end of the bed is stored under one of the beds).

But we found that if you have it set up as couches with the table then you have no where to put the back cushions when you want to go to bed at night when using the twin set up and aren't making the full bed. We always use the twin set up so the back cushions are in the way and that's why we leave them at home.

As to dining, I removed the odd factory seat behind the drivers seat and just have a cushion behind the table and spin the drivers seat around and we have a 2 person dinette instantly - not fancy but works well for us.

The way we use ours, the beds are always set up complete with bedding and pillows and therefore ready to use anytime (eg nap after lunch) and when we get to a campsite, aside from leveling and such, the only thing I need to do is swing the seats around and we are camping. We treat it like there are two basic rooms - dining/living room in the front and bedroom in the rear. And, with the bathroom rear door open and the pantry door open (they overlap in ours) it mostly closes off the bedroom so one can take a nap while the other is up reading, listening to music, or whatever.

We love ours. I realize I am prejudiced but IMO, these are the best of the breed for older class Bs - my back loves the high entry door every time I use it. I have the factory manual and have had ours since 2014 so feel free to ask questions. Again, if you want specific measurements and/or pictures, let me know (you can PM me too).

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2122.jpg (245.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2123.jpg (140.9 KB, 10 views)
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 AM   #6
Silver Member

Dave thanks for the info.

I've only had it for a week and today is the first day I pulled all the cleaning buckets, vacuums doghouse and all out to really see what I was working with and what might work for me.

I managed to crack a rib this morning but I will see if I can get some pictures tonight.

The factory 3rd seat is missing as well as whatever is carpeted and up against the wall as is the wall bracket and the table. I think there was also a microwave above this seat that has also been removed, there are some screw holes where something went. I do have a new black microwave in the RV but it was under the plywood they added when they added the queen size mattress in the back.

I do have that the one backrest from the bed area and using it to sit on to kind of gauge the height and feel of what the original cushions would have been like, if I were to ever try to use the back to sit in, I couldn't have more than the 4 inches that cushion is, it's made up of 2 inches medium density and 2 inches high density, without probably hitting my head on the overhead cabinets as you start to sit back.

My thought right now is to have the twin beds made up as beds, like yours, and have some large pillows or something that can be used for backrests and then moved to the middle back, in the space between the beds(i guess some came with some sort of nightstand here?) when your sleeping.

I did spin around both front seats, mine are both on pedestals, and I'm almost wondering about putting a pole in the floor to use between the two front seats then there could also be another maybe camp chair on the other side of the table where the 3rd seat was. There was a funky boat seat there that I took out as it was not comfortable and had a bad odor.

I guess my next step is to locate some cushions or beds that will fit on either side in the back.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 AM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupulin View Post
Congrats on the new (to you) RV! I have been looking for a 230 XLW myself. Any pics and more info on your Xplorer (miles, options, improvements, price perhaps?)

Congratulations again.
It's a 1998 with 93K

The bad it's missing the stuff I mentioned above and a couple more things, the 3rd seat, the front table, and microwave that was mounted above the 3rd seat(thought there is a new microwave) and the rear cushions and the rear table and pole are missing as is the gray water tank, yes the gray water tank. Like many of these the door fronts are losing their skins and several have been pealed and painted, I plan on doing the rest when I can. The outside could use paint but the body is in pretty good shape with only 2 dings that would need to be repaired before paint and both are about the size of a quarter. The LP tank was leaking around the gauge and I hope to be able to save the tank.

All that might be bad and a deal breaker for some people but not so bad for me. I've already fixed the cruse control, the dash AC, the heat pump/ac unit, a water leak, replaced the drivers window regulator, fixed the fridge installed the fantastic fan.... and I think that's it. I had most of the stuff so right now repairs are only around 120.00.

It came with around 800 dollars worth of new stuff in boxes, a new fantastic fan with the wireless remote, 3 new dump hoses(I don't know why so many) new bath shower head, new shower rod, camping plates, new camco stuff, unopened roll of reflictix... the list goes on and on.

I will have to replace the tires and there is a noise in the motor that may have to be addressed, my mechanic friend says drive it... I say fix it.

I want to drive it a few months before I start adding upgrades like solar and on board air for the air bags and stuff.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

Our 1995 Xplorer 230 has a odd sized bed across the entire back of camper. It runs length wise and is little smaller than a double bed. My wife and I are short so we fit well. It has a couch up front that folds out into a bed. It is equipped with a small pedistal table that stores when not in use in closet. The bed is hard and we have put a few different toppers on it. Still sucks. A friend of mine know a place that cuts foam to whatever size and thickness you want. Going to try this option.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
Platinum Member

" there is a noise in the motor that may have to be addressed"
Those 360 v8 Magnum engines had lower intake manifold gaskets prone to progressive failure causing oil sludgeing and reduced oil flow that leads to catastrophic engine failure. The internet is full of articles describing this issue, and proper repairs. Simply installing a new gasket is not the best answer.
Best to address the noise issue now, not later when something breaks, such as complete engine failure.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Our 1995 Xplorer 230 has a odd sized bed across the entire back of camper. It runs length wise and is little smaller than a double bed. My wife and I are short so we fit well. It has a couch up front that folds out into a bed. It is equipped with a small pedistal table that stores when not in use in closet. The bed is hard and we have put a few different toppers on it. Still sucks. A friend of mine know a place that cuts foam to whatever size and thickness you want. Going to try this option.
I wish I had the front couch it would give me more options with my kids.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
" there is a noise in the motor that may have to be addressed"
Those 360 v8 Magnum engines had lower intake manifold gaskets prone to progressive failure causing oil sludgeing and reduced oil flow that leads to catastrophic engine failure. The internet is full of articles describing this issue, and proper repairs. Simply installing a new gasket is not the best answer.
Best to address the noise issue now, not later when something breaks, such as complete engine failure.
Thanks. Yup I'm aware of the plenum gasket failure issues with these motors, this really sounds like a lifter issue. I plan on pulling the valve covers to see if I have excessive lash, if so the plenum will be done at that time. I know there is a way to check with a vacuum gauge if you have a plenum failure I just haven't gotten to that point yet. Thanks again though for the heads up.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #12

Default my 1997 Xplorer 230XL

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of Xplorers! I bought mine in 2000, 3 years old with 18,000 miles. I now have 192,000 miles and love it. Plan on keeping it until I can no longer drive (I'm 68 so I hope for many years). I went to the factory in Brown City, MI when it was still open.

My rear full bed mattress is hard. For years I had a 2 1/2" egg shell foam on top. About 8 years ago I added another 2 1/2" memory foam on top of the egg shell. It is very comfortable now.

You said you may have had water damage in the rear. I've had several experiences. The rear window top hinge is screwed in on the top outside. They were caulked over but that wears off. I tried recaulking but settled on running a strip of black duct tape across it and have not had problems in years. A bigger problem is under the gutters where the fiberglass top meets the metal sides, especially at the top rear corner of that joint. Twice I've drilled out the pop rivets, removed the gutter and all the old caulk. Then resealed with Geocel and reinstalled all with pop rivets. That is not a fun job. I still have a leak on the one side from that top rear joint. Several months ago I covered the gutter with white duct tape and no more leak.

I have done many upgrades and am happy to discuss all.
Steve
stevevh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #13

Hi.. thanks for your post. I just purchased a 2000 230 Xlw and trying to find the measurements for the cushions.. i have the same model as you.. in the pics. (it’s in the shop so i can’t measure myself)
Also, mine has a dresser between the beds.. i think it’s higher than the beds.. can that be removed so i can make it one bigger bed instead of 2?
Thank you so much for your help.
Priyacolours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:39 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Hi, welcome to the forums

hopefully the Person you refer to will see your post and answer.

I have a Pleasure Way lexor TD- mine is set up where the TOP 1/2 of the dividing cabinet comes off and can sit in the center aisle providing part platform for the back bolsters to fill in the aisle for a king bed.

the fronts of the sofa have horizontal grooves to slide in supports board which fill in the area over the aisle and the rest of the bolsters sit ontop

my supports stow under the sofa

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:19 PM   #15

Default Bed/ table

Hi thank you for your message. I hope mine does the same when it comes out of the shop I’ll have the guys at the dealer check it out for me thank you for your quick reply
Priyacolours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:30 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priyacolours View Post
Hi thank you for your message. I hope mine does the same when it comes out of the shop I’ll have the guys at the dealer check it out for me thank you for your quick reply
Welcome to the forum!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:32 AM   #17
Platinum Member

My PW is older than mkguitar's but my nightstand between the beds was also removable allowing conversion into a large single bed. We gradually became more like D&J Phillips in the comments above; preferring to leave our twin beds setup, ready for either one of us to sleep. IOW not making the evening conversion into a single bed. All preference. One thing that I did to on ours was to get rid of the "nightstand" and make a filler that was slightly below the bed height. That meant that we wouldn't feel "confined" by the higher nightstand when we were sleeping. I had an old drawer box and added a formica hinged top. Storage is about the same as the original nightstand.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote