Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 04:51 AM   #101
Bronze Member

Default Our restoration journey

I might as well post this video as well. My wife is quite talented with video tools.

https://youtu.be/MIYIV4khOBc

Hopy you enjoy it!
NishimotosB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishimotosB View Post
I might as well post this video as well. My wife is quite talented with video tools.

Hopy you enjoy it!
Thank you for posting your renovation. We just bought a 1989 Xplorer and we are ecstatic and planning updates. Your renovation looks amazing. Did you update the upholstery on the camper wall? If so, can you share what was behind it? Was the fabric wrapped around something? We are trying to figure out how much of our renovation we can do ourselves and what we will need to have professionally done. Any information you can share will be welcome. Thank you.
JEF1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishimotosB View Post

Hopy you enjoy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEF1009 View Post
Thank you for posting your renovation. We just bought a 1989 Xplorer and we are ecstatic and planning updates. Your renovation looks amazing. Did you update the upholstery on the camper wall? If so, can you share what was behind it? Was the fabric wrapped around something? We are trying to figure out how much of our renovation we can do ourselves and what we will need to have professionally done. Any information you can share will be welcome. Thank you.
NishimotosB, neat video. Great job on your Xplorer restore!

JEF1009, welcome to the forum! Hope their video inspires you. You'll find a lot of help and good information here.

I've come to the conclusion that if somethings broke, I can't hurt it any further by attempting a repair myself. To my surprise, I've been able to avoid the blood-sucking RV dealers and their $130/hr. labor rates. Good luck!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you for posting your renovation. We just bought a 1989 Xplorer and we are ecstatic and planning updates. Your renovation looks amazing.
I have owned my 1989 since 2010. Was camping in it last weekend. Enjoy!

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #105
Platinum Member

Never had one! BUT, always loved them. What great Bs they are!! There are great memories in the minds of a lot of us that came from something like an Explorer in past years. The most fun adventures in our (then) carefree (much) younger lives were in a Horizon B. It was the little brother of the Intervec Explorers. That vintage had a feel and real sense of "Let's GO!"

That Coke box on the hitch carrier is most cool.

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:45 AM   #106
Platinum Member

My parents owned two Xplorers when they traveled in the 1980's. They wore out one and liked it so much they bought an almost identical ("228" I believe) replacement and put another 50,000 miles on that one before health problems brought their rv'ing to a halt.

I asked my Dad one day if he regretted not being able to get into his rv and travel. He paused for a moment and replied "No, because we've seen all of Canada once, and most of America twice".

His reply stuck with me as a lesson to travel while you can so you won't have any regrets of what you didn't do.

Last year we finally got a small class b of our own. It's an Airstream Avenue Suite which is Chevy based and kind of reminded me of my parents Xplorers. About 5,000 miles so far with the Wife and Ty (aka. Ty the Wonder Dog). More trips planned in the Fall.

To me, Xplorers had everything you needed, just in a small package. I credit them (and my parents) with instilling my desire to hit the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7777.JPG (720.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #107
Bronze Member

Quote:
We didn't do anything to the fabric on the walls except for cleaning. Quite a few of the fabric covered walls are steel. There's some upholstery foam glued to the metal panels and then the fabric is wrapped around and on to the back of the metal panels. I'd love to see what you end up doing with the fabric! Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #108
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
NishimotosB, neat video. Great job on your Xplorer restore!

JEF1009, welcome to the forum! Hope their video inspires you. You'll find a lot of help and good information here.

I've come to the conclusion that if somethings broke, I can't hurt it any further by attempting a repair myself. To my surprise, I've been able to avoid the blood-sucking RV dealers and their $130/hr. labor rates. Good luck!
Thanks for the compliments! I've learned so much working on this!
Old 08-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #109
Platinum Member

I have never replaced my house battery in the 1989 XPLORER. I have had it 8 years.

I don't boon dock in it as much as I used to. The battery box is located under the walk in step at the side door.

I was just thinking about getting a less expensive car battery for it. I have a plug in where I could keep it charged all the time.

Any suggestions from XPLORER owners?

Thanks,
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:55 PM   #110
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
I have never replaced my house battery in the 1989 XPLORER. I have had it 8 years.

I don't boon dock in it as much as I used to. The battery box is located under the walk in step at the side door.

I was just thinking about getting a less expensive car battery for it. I have a plug in where I could keep it charged all the time.

Thanks,
Everybody says get an AMG battery and if you want it to last longer, you should get one. Me, I was having battery trouble and just to trouble-shoot bought a couple of cheap wet-cell Die Hard deep cycle batteries from Sam's club. Fixed my problem for $130 (on sale). Too soon to know how long they will last.

But don't get a regular car battery. You need at least a deep-cycle.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #111
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post

Thanks,
Everybody says get an AMG battery and if you want it to last longer, you should get one. Me, I was having battery trouble and just to trouble-shoot bought a couple of cheap wet-cell Die Hard deep-cycle batteries from Sam's club. Fixed my problem for $130 (on sale). Too soon to know how long they will last.

But don't get a regular car battery. You need at least a deep-cycle.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:39 PM   #112
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Everybody says get an AMG battery and if you want it to last longer, you should get one.
Not exactly. Flooded cell deep cycle batteries can last as long as their AGM counterparts as long as they are watered and charged properly. It's just that they often aren't. Ironically, overcharging is kinder to flooded cell batteries than AGMs because water boiled off can be replaced. Since the AGMs are sealed, water vented from them can't be replaced and their degradation is not reversible.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Not exactly. Flooded cell deep cycle batteries can last as long as their AGM counterparts as long as they are watered and charged properly. It's just that they often aren't. Ironically, overcharging is kinder to flooded cell batteries than AGMs because water boiled off can be replaced. Since the AGMs are sealed, water vented from them can't be replaced and their degradation is not reversible.
AGM's are supposed to take more carge/discharge cycles due to their supposed more rugged and absorbed glass mat construction. All things being equal, should last longer. But I agree that batteries often fail from poor or over-charging and owner neglect. Notice in my post I do not have AGM's.

Obviously goreds2 checks and services his battery so he could get by with the much cheaper wet-cell. 8 years is fantastic battery life (for any style battery). He is doing something right.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:58 PM   #114

Default Upholstery

Quote:
I have a '92 I have been renovating since the spring. I redid all of the fabric and upholstery on all of the door panels and walls. It was fairly easy, and I managed to cover most of the existing fabric, but due to some water damage I had to remake a few panel out of wood then cover them. I can show you before, during, and after photos if you would like. And if you have trouble removing any of the panels I can assist with the process. Most were easy, some were a pain to put back in. Its been fun and we are almost finished but the hurricane stopped our progress this last week. I actually have my first camping trip planned for ashville this weekend. Its an organized rally as long as the weather still permits!
doristhexploris92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:15 PM   #115
Silver Member

Default Xplorer 230XLW near Los Angeles???

Hi,
Bit of a cheeky question, but does anyone have an xplorer 230 xlw in LA area? I've seen one i'm interested in buying but it is in Oregon! Any chance i could come & have a look at yours to see if i like it before spending the airfare to fly to Oregon!
Thanks
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:26 AM   #116
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
Hi,
Bit of a cheeky question, but does anyone have an xplorer 230 xlw in LA area? I've seen one i'm interested in buying but it is in Oregon! Any chance i could come & have a look at yours to see if i like it before spending the airfare to fly to Oregon!
Thanks
Welcome to the forum Macodiva!

Not a bad idea to try and see one in person before traveling so far just to look.

It's a slim chance, but I'm hoping someone can help you out. This is a great forum.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #117
Silver Member

Thanks. I figure no harm in asking right
I'm looking for a class B, i like gulf stream vista cruiser g24's & xplorers. i'm not sure why but i keep coming back to xplorers, something about them just appeals to me. It doesn't hurt that everything i've read from anyone with one is that they love them.
Just trying to hold out for either one in decent shape & reasonable priced. Few & far between it seems!
Macodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #118
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macodiva View Post
Thanks. I figure no harm in asking right
I'm looking for a class B, i like gulf stream vista cruiser g24's & xplorers. i'm not sure why but i keep coming back to xplorers, something about them just appeals to me. It doesn't hurt that everything i've read from anyone with one is that they love them.
Just trying to hold out for either one in decent shape & reasonable priced. Few & far between it seems!
Here are a few Youtubers that we subscribe to. They both have Xplorer vans.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC07...oYYmJuDTqFzWFQ

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK-...eY0CvQSUFPS-Xg
Old 02-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #119
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

We have a 1995 Xplorer 230. Low mileage when we bought it some years ago now. Only problem we had was from previous owner letting it sit for 5 years before selling. Needs paint job now and trying to find shop with reasonable price. Can't offer any info about company. Have a great time Xploring the country!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #120
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Bought one off line for $29.00. Love it and no problems so far. Might invest in better one in future but for now its great. Sorry don't remember brand name.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote