Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by westlanddave78 View Post
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone else here is into Xplorers...one of the original Class B's. I've got a 1988 Xplorer 228 myself.

I'm especially interested in the history of the company.

Some of you might recall that Xplorer was founded by Ray Frank, who built the world's first commercial motorhome in 1958. Frank's wife is credited with coining the term "motor home" because she didn't like the then-popular "house car" name. Apparently, "motorhome" caught on and stuck! (The space between "motor" and "home" got dropped sometime in the '70s I think.)

Cheers!

Dave
I just bought a 2000 Xplorer 230 XLW and I am looking for a forum, group, or something similar. I am also looking for a manual. Can you help, perhaps?
MarcoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #122

I've also just purchased a 2004 Xplorer, I understand the all the original paperwork & manuals are included with the van. I take delivery of it next weekend (02/16) from the dealer. I'll reach out to you the following weekend and let you guys know what i have in terms of manuals.
Highway Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #123
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway Pilot View Post
I've also just purchased a 2004 Xplorer, I understand the all the original paperwork & manuals are included with the van. I take delivery of it next weekend (02/16) from the dealer. I'll reach out to you the following weekend and let you guys know what i have in terms of manuals.
Good luck with your "new to you" Xplorer. Must have been one of their last models produced.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:56 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by doristhexploris92 View Post
I have a '92 I have been renovating since the spring. I redid all of the fabric and upholstery on all of the door panels and walls. It was fairly easy, and I managed to cover most of the existing fabric, but due to some water damage I had to remake a few panel out of wood then cover them. I can show you before, during, and after photos if you would like. And if you have trouble removing any of the panels I can assist with the process. Most were easy, some were a pain to put back in. Its been fun and we are almost finished but the hurricane stopped our progress this last week. I actually have my first camping trip planned for ashville this weekend. Its an organized rally as long as the weather still permits!
great job with your fabric1 I would love to cover my fabric panels, do you have photos or a video on how you removed them?
rjdawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:11 AM   #125
Silver Member

97 236XL here. Was torn between an XLW though.

Ultimately I could not give up having a rear door. I need to be able to haul cargo once in a while. Maybe pick up some 2x4s or 4x8 sheets of plywood.

Also I like having a spare tire with me. Can't have one with an XLW.
Etzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:45 AM   #126

My XLW as well as all the other XLW's I've seen have spare tires. The spare is on the bottom and has to be cranked down. The (included) crank is in the rear storage compartment.
mschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #127
Silver Member

Aren't the front wheels different from the rear?
Old 03-28-2019, 02:14 AM   #128

The rear has dual tires, but AFAIK, all 6 tires are the same. I guess the spare tire is mostly designed to replace a front tire. If one of the rear tires went flat, I guess I could limp along until I could get to a proper tire repair shop.
The snow is melting rapidly here in Wisconsin, so I'm going to read up on that dual-wheel adapter and make sure the spare would work on the back tires as well as the front.
Thanks for giving me something to think about...

Mike
mschw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:23 AM   #129
Silver Member

I know the tires are the same size. But the front and rear rims are not the same size. Which is why I assumed it wouldn't have a spare. And if jt would it would be for the front.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #130
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
I just bought a 2000 Xplorer 230 XLW and I am looking for a forum, group, or something similar. I am also looking for a manual. Can you help, perhaps?
I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier - I have a 1999 230XLWT and I do have the complete manual. If you haven't already found one, let me know. My guess is there would be little changed from 1999 to 2000 but not sure....

Dave
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:29 PM   #131
Silver Member

Do you guys happen to have the brochures or have any links?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #132
Gold Member

On the Xplorer 230XLW tire questions. Mine is a 1999 and I have a spare under the rear that cranks down. In my case the spare will only work on the front but I think that is because a PO installed aluminum wheels.

As delivered, Xplorer XLWs were 'converted' to dually - that means some kind of adapter for the 2 rear wheels that have extreme offsets so they can mount together back to back. In order for those wheels to be used on the front there must have been a different front hub that can accept the extreme offset of the dually wheels. I think when mine was changed to aluminum wheels, they must have put stock Dodge hubs on the front so the normal, non-dually Dodge wheels fit.

End result is mine requires different offsets front and rear - I carry a compressor and plug kit as back-up and otherwise hope if I ever get a flat it will be on the front - otherwise limp slowly on one rear?? I also have roadside assistance

If anyone learns more about how they converted them to dually and what parts were used, I am very interested. I would rather give up the aluminum wheels and have a matched set of 6 wheels the same but I would need the correct front hubs I think.

Dave
Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 PM   #133

Default New Xplorer 230XLW Owner

We just purchased a 1998 Xplorer Class B Motor home. Has 45000 miles and still looks pretty good. Problems we are having is locating a new AC unit that fits in the rear overhead. Thinking of adding a roof air unit. Also, water heater won't stay lit. We're excited about getting out and taking a shake down cruise.
jimlongusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #134
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

Our 1995 230 Xplorer has a Brisk air roof top air conditioner. The hot water heater is from Attwood. Knock on wood no problems. In the 10 years or so of ownership. We have used the hot water heater very little. When running off generator or shore power. We just heat water in microwave. This is for GI bathing and washing dishes.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #135
Gold Member

jimlongusa welcome to the forum.

I have a 1999 230 xlwt and had to replace our air conditioning unit 2-3 years ago and I expect your 1998 would call for the same unit.

The only one I could find at the time that would fit is a LG Appliances Model No. LW8015ER I found in stock at a local Lowes store. Not too sure if they are still available but I have had good service out of ours.

This was a challenging job to replace - in ours I had to remove the external screen & baffles at the rear and remove out the back.

Dave
Old 07-18-2019, 01:40 AM   #136

Have you had any problems with the unit getting too hot. We tried a GE Wall unit that fit the opening but it kept overheating and faulted out.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:06 AM   #137

Did you use a wall sleeve?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:37 AM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Phillips View Post
On the Xplorer 230XLW tire questions. Mine is a 1999 and I have a spare under the rear that cranks down. In my case the spare will only work on the front but I think that is because a PO installed aluminum wheels.

As delivered, Xplorer XLWs were 'converted' to dually - that means some kind of adapter for the 2 rear wheels that have extreme offsets so they can mount together back to back. In order for those wheels to be used on the front there must have been a different front hub that can accept the extreme offset of the dually wheels. I think when mine was changed to aluminum wheels, they must have put stock Dodge hubs on the front so the normal, non-dually Dodge wheels fit.

End result is mine requires different offsets front and rear - I carry a compressor and plug kit as back-up and otherwise hope if I ever get a flat it will be on the front - otherwise limp slowly on one rear?? I also have roadside assistance

If anyone learns more about how they converted them to dually and what parts were used, I am very interested. I would rather give up the aluminum wheels and have a matched set of 6 wheels the same but I would need the correct front hubs I think.

Dave
I was lucky enough to get a photocopy of the owner's manual when we got our '01 230XLW several years ago. I posted the two pertinent sheets regarding the rear wheel spacers in a new album I just created called 'Our '01 230XLW Xplorer'
an av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #139

Default Xplorer 230 XLW Manufactures Manual

Hello All, We purchased our 2004 Xplorer a few months ago from a dealer, we are the 2nd owners, so the unit came came with the original manuals.

There are quite a few pages, but if I can get my cost to make copies and mail you a copy of the manual covered, I can provide this valuable resource.

Manual shows schematics and detailed info on the unit.

Let me know if your interested.
Highway Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #140
Site Team

Just a reminder that the List maintains an archival library of B-van owner's manuals:

Owner Manuals - Class B Forums

Anyone who has possession of a manual set from a legacy RV and is in a position to scan it might consider depositing a copy here. These contributions have obvious long-term value, which will only increase as time goes by.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote