Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Yes, it's winter but

Yes, it's winter but ....................

First - we've had and continue to have extremely cold lows. -20C to -25C (-4F to -13F) nights - lots of them. We typically get one or two cold snaps over the whole winter so this is unusual. The river froze a month early.

Second - the snow. We just had our 4th snow storm for this December. There is so much snow on the ground now as, in between the storms, we get a little bit of snow almost every day. One winter here I used my snow blower 4 times........ in total. I've had my snow blower out 8 times this December already! A few neighbors have been clearing snow off their roofs.

All the new snow keeps everything pretty though

main North / South highway

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dec 2013.JPG (271.1 KB, 1052 views)
File Type: jpg dec 2013 1.JPG (293.8 KB, 1052 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Yes, it's winter but

The cold temps just continue out here. It's a beautiful sunny day but, by mid afternoon, the temperature has not made it higher than minus 13 F (-25C)
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
The cold temps just continue out here. It's a beautiful sunny day but, by mid afternoon, the temperature has not made it higher than minus 13 F (-25C)
We have had similar here in Minnesota. An early 8" snow, and then every other day another couple of inches to shovel. We have had near -20* F over 1/2 dozen times, and that is rare for December, more like January. At least it keeps me inside getting some of the stuff done I need to do before spring.

Many times here, when winter is early, spring is also, so I am hoping, and hoping, and hoping.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I guess I should feel lucky to live in Alaska right now. We had -25 for a couple of days but then nothing below +5 since then. Our total snow fall has been about 12", very unusual on both for this time of year! We had rain yesterday... go figure. The Queen B sits in our un-heated shop with no winter access to it except through the man door. There is about 3' of walk around room front and sides, just enough room to open side doors and squeeze in for engine and generator starting. I read through about 4 different forums for ideas on what to do to our rig and also for lessons on maintenance, I got it bad I guess, heck I even read articles on Class A, Class c, TT, Fivers, Campers, stuff that doesn't even pertain to me! The future will bring a bigger heated shop that will provide an area to work(play) on the rig in the winter, I guarantee it!
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I wish somebody would explain to me why I live here. Momentum?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg wind chill map.jpg (142.4 KB, 910 views)
Old 01-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Platinum Member

34 degrees and lots of rain today, Alaska's weather at it's best! Stay warm Booster.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Stay indoors when that comes through.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
Platinum Member

10.7C (51F) here yesterday! That's a new record for that day of the month. Record lows, record highs - what a winter.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
10.7C (51F) here yesterday! That's a new record for that day of the month. Record lows, record highs - what a winter.
We had a brief respite yesterday with a high of 39F, and now it is headed back towards normal. It was odd yesterday to watch the thin coating of snow,ice on the driveway. The ground is so cold that it didn't even begin to melt if it wasn't in the direct sunlight, even though we were above freezing for over 24 hours.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Despite the warm weather yesterday, this is our asphalt sleet covered driveway as of a few minutes ago. We had a coating of about a quarter inch of sleet on our thoroughly plowed driveway last weekend and the stuff looks like a heavy white Rhino coating.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Love the pictures. As far as cold goes, I lived in Manitoba for 10 years and know about cold winters. In 1987, the wind chills were colder than -70. When I was there in 2007, it was about -63 and my job is generally outside work.

We had the cold weather here too but we had huge quick freezes. Never heard of it before but we had a lot of "Frost Quakes". They woke us up and shook the entire house. I've been close to tornadoes and felt some small earth quakes but these frost quakes were quick but big.

We also had the ice storm which knocked out power for a while but not too long where we are. Since we have a wood stove, we were not too concerned about heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bench.jpg (176.5 KB, 707 views)
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Those two photos are great. Winter can be so beautiful. We're sitting at around 50F again today so the melt continues. I might still need the snow blower in April so this break is welcomed!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I spent over an hour yesterday climbing up and down a ladder with a push broom and leaf blower clearing accumulated snow off my B. Then last night it snowed another 4 inches. Here we go again today. This time I will attack it before the snow crusts over or turns to ice from the B's solar heat buildup melting it and it refreezing. Getting very envious of garage owners.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Dave, I have to admit, this winter the new garage was money well spent. I remember clearing off our old American Cruiser in the winter. Not fun. I do shovel or snow blow a path to the garage, but the ERA is nicely tucked up inside with chargers keeping the batteries topped up. I also ringed all the tires with traps and put an electronic thingy inside the garage. So far no eveidence of critters. The new garage is quite tight as well, and with two rows of cement blocks before the siding and wood start it seems reasonably critter resistant. BTW, we have gotten 90+ inches of snow so far and it snowing as I write this....
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Thank you for posting the beautiful pictures. From someone who has never been exposed to your temps and depth of snow, it is really mind boggllng. When I have seen pictures of major snow, it was always away from everything, your pictures show how people do receive heavy snows and way below temps - and keep on enjoying life. Marko, I know you love the garage; Davydd, I seen your B setting out there in all that snow - and it was ready to roll.....I knew you have to be doing overtime keeping it freee of the white stuff, ha! Thanks again, Ron.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Yeah I just spent another hour clearing off an overnight 4" snow dump. It was easier this time because I got to it before it could harden and a leaf blower did the job. We haven't been getting a lot of large snows but just get what they call Alberta Clippers that come out of the northwest every few days. They are quick snow fronts that dump an inch or two but they are snows that have less moisture -- light and fluffy followed by a cold spell. The lower Midwest and east get storms out of the Rockies that combine with moisture out of the south heading northeast. Those are the heavy kind. We might get those in March.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Yeah Dave, most clippers give us 2-6", but this last one set up over Lake Superior and gave us 10". Have I ever mentioned "lake effect snow"? Supposed to get 3-6" by tomorrow AM. The way it is coming down now, I would say that is about right.
georgelesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Two blizzards this month, lost 2 bundles worth of roof shingles in the last one. Then a winter storm that turned into freezing rain yesterday. No power here - running on generator..................... the trees are really bent over from the ice - hope they recover - roads blocked by bent over trees.

Tomorrow is April, it has got to start getting better!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:32 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

It's over here. We've had a few days of above freezing temperatures, with some sub freezing nights. The majority of the snow and thick, thick, ice on the ground is all but gone. I think the reason we haven't seen any serious flooding here was the overnight cold. It kept the rate of thaw from being too quick, considering the millions of gallons of water sitting on top of the ground.
We may still get a flurry or two over the next few weeks, but I'm pretty sure the worst is over.
May you all see the same weather pattern sooner than later.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Don't bet on it being over, we got close to 12" of snow last night. It is supposed to be gone by Monday, though.