Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #1

Default 2004 QD with Restored Salvage Title

I recently bought a 2004 QD, 57,000 miles with a salvage title. Probblem is, I didn't know it was salvaged at the time of purchase and trying to figure out what to do. If anyone on this forum has some advise they can offer, we would be grateful.

Fact is, I was over -eager to buy a Rialta. My wife and I have been searching for the right unit, for the last four years. Seems everytime a great unit came up, it was quickly sold. Once came available in Phoenix recently... owned by an eledery couple, QD, 57,000 miles, gold full paint, leather throughout. Beautiful coach, drove like a dream. It had normal wear - paint fade on one side (Arizona sun does that), plus generator (10 hours), ran rough.... The son was selling for his mother, after driving it, looked over all the maintenance records. Anyway, I gave a deposit and arranged to meet the seller (who lived in another town, and had the title). We paid what we thought was a price consistent with others with similar mileage from private parties. Normally, I would have done a Carfax check, taken this to a RV shop for a pre-inspection delivery report. I didn't do that - what was I thinking??

In Arizona, the seller is required to disclose the vehicle has a salvage title. I don't think the owner (or the son) intentionally tried to mislead me, but the salvage title was never mentioned. I only discovered this after we went to DMV to title the unit.... yet, there it was clearly visible on the title (which I missed).

What I know is the salvage title was issued in 2005, with 5,000 miles - shortly after purchase by the origianl owner. The people we bought the unit from, purchased it in 2005, drove it for 9 years and added another 50,000 miles - with no serious issues. The unit was being sold because the sellers husband died two years ago, and being in her 80's, it didn't make sense to continue ownership.

We had a RV tech inspect the unit to find all the faults (there are a few), probably typical for one of this mileage and age. Nothing unusual. After finding out about the title, we went over this with a fine-tooth comb - and can't find any evdidence this unit was damaged. Whoever rebuilt this, did it to factory specs. All body panels, fiberglass is perfectly straight, gaps are good - undercarriage is perfect.

We're worried about resale down the road. I told the seller they must either by back the unit, or discount the purchase price by another 20%. At least, that was the discount a local broker suggested. I haven't heard back from the seller yet. After talking about it, my wife and I would like to keep it.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Consideirng the info I provided, what would be a fair price for a salvaged vehicle?

Much thanks,

Rich F

richard.freeman is offline   Reply With Quote