Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Crazy Electrical Problem

I have a 2001 Rialts QD with 72K miles on it and recently experienced a major electric Gremlin. Symptoms follow:

For the past 2500 miles I had first experienced a minor problem in that the emergency break warning light and audible warning would come on at same time wipers would not work and neither would the dash AC. I had to stop and turn off engine and work the break handle then restart vehicle and all was OK. This was a very intermittent problem for quite awhile and I was unsuccessful in correcting it so I just continued driving and dealing with it. I live in Cincinnati OH and cannot find a dealer that will work on it.

Last week on a trip back from SC I could not get the break light or the warning sound to stop. We were only 70 miles from home so we drove on (night was falling). When it got dark I noticed I had no headlights. I had to physically hold back on the dimmer switch which kept the brights on all the way home. If I released the switch I had no lights.

We made it home after bothering lots of oncomming traffic. I have examined the vehicle and noticed other strange electrical problems.

1. Tail and break lights works when head light switch is on but head lights do not.

2. Right break light does not work with head light switch off. Left break light works fine

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hank HueyDaddy@gmail.com

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #2

reising55 said:

I have a 2001 Rialts QD with 72K miles on it and recently experienced a major electric Gremlin. Symptoms follow:

For the past 2500 miles I had first experienced a minor problem in that the emergency break warning light and audible warning would come on at same time wipers would not work and neither would the dash AC. I had to stop and turn off engine and work the break handle then restart vehicle and all was OK. This was a very intermittent problem for quite awhile and I was unsuccessful in correcting it so I just continued driving and dealing with it. I live in Cincinnati OH and cannot find a dealer that will work on it.

Last week on a trip back from SC I could not get the break light or the warning sound to stop. We were only 70 miles from home so we drove on (night was falling). When it got dark I noticed I had no headlights. I had to physically hold back on the dimmer switch which kept the brights on all the way home. If I released the switch I had no lights.

We made it home after bothering lots of oncomming traffic. I have examined the vehicle and noticed other strange electrical problems.

1. Tail and break lights works when head light switch is on but head lights do not.

2. Right break light does not work with head light switch off. Left break light works fine

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hank HueyDaddy@gmail.com

did u check fuses? if so sounds like u have a bad ground or paritial concact issue, when a circuit isnt grounded properly it can back feed and cause" Gremlin issues"..hope ive helped FRED ASE MASTER TECH

papabone2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

We are beginning to have electrical "gremlins" as well: dash lights suddenly not working, window auto-up switch not working for a few hours, then working again. Engine check light goes on when automatic transmission shifting fails and alternate transmission control circuits kick in, keeping the engine in 3rd gear, all of which goes away after I stop and then re-start the engine.

We may have caused the dash light issue: in removing a load-carrying "caboose" in the trailer hitch, we failed to disconnect the electrical 4-connector cable before removal. Inspection failed to reveal any damage, but ... In another vehicle, a bad ground connection in the same type of connector blew out the dash light fuse. Providing the wiring scheme linking the two is the same in the Rialta, we'll advise VW to look first at the fuses. Papabone2012's advice should be kept in mind.

We are taking the van in to VW this week.

Best regards,

Bill Blask

Bblask75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #4

Hello to all from Rialta54

I have three problems one is when the R.V. Is parked some times the parking lights go on and drain the battery a nother is the two inside battery's get drain over night. I think there a short but where do you start to look for it.

All of a sudden my head lights stoped working I think it my be thE head light swith, But I have no way to check it. I have all the Railta manuals, but there is no wiring for the head light

I need to hot wire to make lights go on seeing I in fl, keys but do not know which wires do the whit.

If anybody can help I thank them greatfully

Rialta54

rialta54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Go this site for more info on Rialta.

http://www.rialtainfo.com/

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote