Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

Default First Trip

I just took my Rialta out for my first trip in it to Southern Arizona. Despite my trepedations, everything worked well and I got between 19 to 20 mpg, which pleasantly surprised me. It was very cold and it snowed New Year's Eve, so we did not do too much in the way of outdoor activities, but we went to Kartchner Caverns and stayed at the State Park there. The State Park was a pretty dessert setting and the Cave is truly remarkable. It is worth the visit if you are in the area.

gverburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:17 AM   #2
Bronze Member

Default First Trip

Thats some greaT FUEL MILAGE.. i SEEM TO AVERAGE AROUND 14 MPG IN MINE.. WHAT SPEEDS R U DRIVING AND R U USING UNLEAD OR SUPER? THANKS HERB

herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Default First Trip

what year is your Rialta ?

winter is cold this year …..

Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 AM   #4

Default First Trip

herbert said:Thats some greaT FUEL MILAGE.. i SEEM TO AVERAGE AROUND 14 MPG IN MINE.. WHAT SPEEDS R U DRIVING AND R U USING UNLEAD OR SUPER? THANKS HERB

Hello...I am a new member and am unable to figure out just how to post...I see that you have done so and perhaps you can help me....I would like a set of new (external) decals for my Rialta....do you know where I can order them? thanks, Popeye

popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Default First Trip

popeye ,

you can start your own thread "add a new topic" is the way to start one ....

Old 03-01-2015, 04:59 AM   #6

Default First Trip

herbert said:Thats some greaT FUEL MILAGE.. i SEEM TO AVERAGE AROUND 14 MPG IN MINE.. WHAT SPEEDS R U DRIVING AND R U USING UNLEAD OR SUPER? THANKS HERB

Our 99 QD gets from a low of 16 to the best so far 21.07, and I drive whatever the posted speed limit is, but never over that. I accelerate and stop smoothly and back off the gas on hills (we live in the Ozarks). You can tell by the sound of the engine when it strains, and it generally doesn't even slow down if you back off a bit. Always keep your tires up to proper inflation. We drove from Missouri to Maryland fully loaded (fuel and water) using premium only, and my worst in the mountains of Pennsylvania was a solid 18mpg, and we got 21 in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. On the return trip the same route, I used only Regular gas (87 octane with ethanol) got 1 mpg less and I'm sure a bit less power. But for the cost, regular was the better option, being premium was 70 cents per gallon more, and it never pinged in the mountains on regular. I always use Stabil in the gas regardless, for the sake of the generator. This spring I intend to put a shutoff valve on the generator fuel line and simply run it dry when stopping it, then I won't have to buy the Stabil. The sticker says 16-22 mpg, but we've never seen 22 with it yet. I'm running 50 lbs air in the tires, check it every time I fill up.

Most all German motors want premium gas, and it might help some vehicles to run premium, but it will run just as clean on regular. However, your own driving habits may get you better mileage with premium, you just have to try it both ways. Keep in mind the weight of the Rialta, though. I believe our 99 has a 10:1 compression ratio, which is high, and probably should have premium to keep it from pinging for most drivers. But if you make sure it doesn't ping (that destroys piston ring lands and can damage heads), you will do fine with regular. My personal recommendation as a lifetime mechanic would be to use premium in hilly country or mountains to avoid preignition. Regular is fine on the flatlands if you don't accelerate hard. And smooth driving is easier on your transmission, too, not to mention your gas mileage.

Rev Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Silver Member

Default First Trip

Rev Jerry said:
I'm running 50 lbs air in the tires, check it every time I fill up.

That's way too low. The factory sticker says 60 all around. I've changed tires and use 60 in the front, 62 in the rear to get a good wear pattern. Low pressure can lead to blowouts. At 60 psi, they'll support 2160# each. At 50, they'll only support 1930# each. (At max - 65 psi, they'll support 2271#.)

You should never check the tires when they're hot (over 3 miles of driving). Always check them when cold, usually early morning before starting out. The pressure goes up as they heat, so you'd be running too low if you drove several miles before checking. If they're a little low when cold, remember how much and add that when you get to a place with air.

Duane

TXPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 PM   #8

Default First Trip

bigdan said:

what year is your Rialta ?

winter is cold this year …..

Sorry, it has been a while since I have been on the forum. My Rialta is a 2002, the bigger six cylinder. While my gas mileage was good I was using premium gas and most of my driving was on flat freeways with no air conditioning running. I drove between 60 - 62 MPH.

gverburg is offline   Reply With Quote