Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #1

Default Generac Runs poorly hasn't run for several years

I just purchased a 1999 Rialta with a Generac NP-30G generator. The generator only has 17 hours on it. I was able to get it started but, it runs poorly. Speeds up and down constantly. I was able to put a load on it, worked but again ran very poorly. Does any one have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Any ideas on what might be wrong, since its so new? I was going to look into cleaning the carborator and all associated. Does anyone know of any You Tubes or instructions to follow?

I'm handy and know my limitations, would like to try and fix this my self.

Thanks for any advice or ideas....

Dan

The D.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

17 hours in 16 years .....

Id look at the carburator or at least the filter first ....

gas left in carburator for a long time tends to do varnish ....

varnish clogs the tiny passages

look at the spark plug too ....

Dan

Old 07-23-2015, 12:52 AM   #3

I have the same problem with my 99 Rialta, with the generator having a little over 100 hours. A friend and I took the carburator apart and it was a mess inside. We have put a new fuel filter on it and a fuel shutoff valve. We will see what happens.

George

gstelljes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

Thanks Bigdan...

Yes, I took the carb apart and did find a lot of crud in the jet inside the carb. I was able to clean this out and now the motor runs MUCH better, even under load. The people before me also used regular gas (with ethenol), so, I'm hoping that as soon as I run this dry, I can add premium (no ethenol), and hoping things will run better, if not at least cleaner.

Being new to this, I really do appreciate your response, thanks!!

ps. Thanks to "gstelljes" also, thanks for your reply, I hope your problem gets resolved as easily as mine!!

The D.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:16 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Hi Dan,

I have a '99 Rialta also. Purchased used in 2010, that Generac had only 70 hrs and was also not run. It raced up and down, took it to CampingWorld and their unskilled tech. (young kid) burned it up and ruined it. Anyhow, luckily found a used Generac NP-30g and it has run perfectly ever since; being that it only had 74 hrs. Now it has over 200 hrs. One MUST run these at least once every two weeks for 30 min. In your case, check that Oil Breather Hose. It is a moulded rubber hose and it seems after so many years they crack allowing air in the system. These are still available but tricky to install. New Spark Plug and wire and oil will help. I think once you use it more with the better gas (Volkswagen wants you to use PREMIUM in this vehicle) it will improve. Makes my Generac run very well.

I am sure you know about letting it have a 5 min. warmup prior to applying any load? Also a 5 min. unloaded cool-down? If the unit is running properly it should speed up as you apply more and more load. I made a chart a while back as to what I could turn on all at the same time. Just don't use the roof AC, Water Heater, and Microwave at the same time; that will overload it. The Water Heater really takes alot of power. Also, if you can, run it for several hours to really "burn" it in. I have been very pleased with my replacement so far. One final note (important!) When starting the Gen. push the START button and let it crank no longer than 2 seconds and let go. The Priming should make a clicking sound and (sometimes) the green light on your panel will go off - sometimes it will stay on. If it stays on push the toggle to stop. Wait about 10 seconds after the first starting attempt and push START again and let it crank a bit longer if needed. As soon as it runs let it go. Many people don't realize that continuing to hold the starter down will ruin that starter in no time. I hear so many people at campgrounds cranking forever. So far, mine has started on the second attempt every time. If I used it a few days before it always starts the first time. Longwinded advice here but like to pass on these tidbits of knowledge that can save alot of trouble. Best of luck!!!

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Paul,

as you say,

all engines with a carb has to run for a while regurarly until well warmed up !

We tend to forget !!!!

dan

Old 07-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have a valve on my fuel line that permits me to close the gas , so it runs out of gas when I close the valve ..

This way the carb goes dry and wont form any sludge !

We use to do this on all outboard boat engines ...unplug the hose to let the engine dy dry !

Dan

Old 08-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #8

alfuthd said:

I just purchased a 1999 Rialta with a Generac NP-30G generator. The generator only has 17 hours on it. I was able to get it started but, it runs poorly. Speeds up and down constantly. I was able to put a load on it, worked but again ran very poorly. Does any one have any ideas as to how I can fix this? Any ideas on what might be wrong, since its so new? I was going to look into cleaning the carborator and all associated. Does anyone know of any You Tubes or instructions to follow?

I'm handy and know my limitations, would like to try and fix this my self.

Thanks for any advice or ideas….

Dan

Dan,

Bought 99HD three years ago with an inoperative Generac NP-30G generator. Friend and I got it running by cleaning carburetor of a lot of gunk/varnish. It would start and continue running under load but would always hunt and surge a bit. I also installed a new fuel filter and a cut-off valve. The cut-off allows me to let generator run till it stalls from fuel starvation which ensures the carburetor bowl is empty so fuel can't puddle there and cause varnish build up.

We don't use the generator much but I always start the generator a minimum of once a month and let it run for at least ten minutes. A while back we had coach battery problems and I did not run the generator at all for several months till I replaced the coach batteries. After installing the new coach batteries, the generator would not start.

A little troubleshooting revealed the starter solenoid had failed open. It was not easy to replace but that solved the starting problem though the generator would still hunt/surge. My friend (who used to own a small engine repair business) said he thought there was either an air leak somewhere or the carburetor needed to be rebuilt.

I ordered a new caburetor and two gaskets since it only cost about 30% more than a rebuild kit. We installed the carburetor as well as a new air filter today and the generator has never run as well since I've owned it.

Polo

PS.... Generac NP-30G documentation is available on http://www.rialtainfo.com and I use premium, non-ethanol fuel only.

Polo is offline   Reply With Quote