Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

Default Is your generator loud?

This is our very first RV, so we are new to this. The very first thing I noticed after we purchased our 2001 Rialta was the loudness of the generator. It starts right up, but it appears to be much too loud to watch television or to sit back and enjoy a quiet evening.

Can anyone tell me about your experience. Are all of the generators in these Rialtas that loud? Or do I need to go and have mine checked? Is this just something I need to get used to?

Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gus

guscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
D0N
Bronze Member

My rialta did not come with a generator. It was ordered new without one. I use a small portable Honda EX1000. It charges the coach batteries & powers everything in the camper (except the roof AC). My honda is only 52dB versus the Generac NP30G or the onan 2800 70+dB (thats measured at 10 feet!). You're certainly not 10ft away from the onboard genset when it's running! Although I've never heard a rialtas genset run I have to assume it is louder than 70dB in the RVs interior when in use.

D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:31 PM   #3

The generator compartment is insulated. IF it is loud outside check your muffler (The genset has one).

They do rust out.

It should be about as loud as a lawnmower. My 96 rialta has a generac I gather they are a lower cost unit.

You can make it quiet, however if your muffler is rusted out it will be loud & can even allow carbon monoxide to enter the cabin of there are any seams, seals, leaks & it can kill you. IF the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, exhaust can be blown back under you unit too.

If you start your genset, get low enough to look and you can sometimes see that it is rusted out & also feel for air coming out where it is not supposed too. Do not confuse the engine cooling air that is blowing out right over the muffler.

I would make sure you have a functional carbon dioxide detector & while you are at - check the LP gas detector & smoke alarm. The gas detector is mounted low lp gas is heavier then air. The other 2 are mounted high.

Your life depends on these 3 devices. A lp detector & a combo smoke/CD testers are about $30 & $60 each.

Early symptoms of CD poisoning are headaches. Late symptoms are death. IF your unit is not burning any oil you may not smell the exhaust. A couple died a few weeks near here in a boat - while running their genset while at anchor.

DanAtTheCape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #4

Try dropping the generator down and installing foam board insulation in the generator cavity. You might also want to try some Automotive Acoustic insulation such as FATMAT available at Amazon.

bbaskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

Sure is. Enough so that if we did any degree of dry camping I'd go with a smaller, quieter portable generator rather than use it. But fact is very few of us do serious camping in our Rialta, and generally use the on-board power source for short term usage like the mircowave or a cup of coffee. I've installed an 800W/1000Wpeak 12VDC/120vac adapter to the coach batteries to watch TV and other light duty uses...works fine so far

janbcarter is offline   Reply With Quote