Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Default Looking to buy a Rialta

Good Afternoon,

My wife and I have been looking to buy an RV and we really like the Rialta. It seems to fit our life style, room for two adults and our buddies (cats- Rascal & Smokey). My wife wants to hike the Appalachian Trail soon and I will follow along to provide support. While she is hiking I will visit National Parks along the way with my buddies.

I have seen a few Rialta's so far.This weekend we found a Rialta that seems to appear a good deal but I am not sure. It is a 2001 in really good shape, outside and inside, but it has 70,000 miles on it. In my mind that appears to be allot of miles. The folks that are selling it are asking $18,000, she and her husband are hikers but she wants to go back to school and they will not have a use for the Rialta.

Based on the above information what do the folks here think? I know it will not be easy to judge this sort of thing just by the information I have provided, but one has to start at some point to make a judgement. I am sure I will have allot more questions and this site seems to be the place to get answers.

Thank you

Carl

Bartoncvn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Bronze Member

We bought a 1998 Rialta with 38,000 miles a year and a half ago. Based on my purchase I don't think that is out of line. Rialta's do seem to command top dollar if they have been well cared for, because they are not in production anymore. If you are dealing with the original owner I would want maintenance records to check routine maintenance and things like changing transmission fluid. I would akso want to know if it has been used for towing previously because as you can read on this site, that has been a problem for some.

Hopefully some more folks will give their opinions. I would check the auction sites and maybe Rialta Heaven to do a little more comparing.

csreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #3

We purchased a 2001 Rialta a year ago with 52000 miles on it. It is in very good condition. The price you have been quoted is actually a very good price compared to what most Rialtas are selling for. When we purchased ours, we went through the additional expense of replacing the tires. We were advised by friends to replace the tires unless we know that they were replaced within the past 5 years. We also went through the expense of having the generator serviced by an authorized cummins shop. We had an oil and lube job done, and also recharged the air conditioner. Most important, we had the brakes inspected to see if they needed new pads. They did, and we also needed to replace the routers. The expense to get all of these things done was significant, about $2000. But, if was well worth it. Now, we can drive our Rialta with the confidence that we will not have tire, brake, AC, generator, or other maintenance issues on the road.

guscord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Rialtas are hard to find here in southeast Tenneessee. i have noticed some of the units with more than 50,000 miles had new transmissions installedis the transmission a problem with them?

MIKEEPOE is offline   Reply With Quote