Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Looking to Purchase 2000 Rialta HD

I am about to buy a 2000 HD Rialta, I now have a 1993 Roadtrek 12-13 mpg. I had a 1986 LeSharo before the Roadtrek and still kick myself for not getting the Chrysler engine mod from Montanna before I sold it. I did buy a 2nd one and tried to add a Chrysler engine and do the mods in 1992, we got the engine in but the stering wheel collume was between my legs with 2 unervisals, a long story. I sold that.

Anyway I know what Im getting into with the Rialta. The one Im looking at has a 2 month old transmission. It is now at a consignment seller about 500 miles from here. The owner sware's it gets 22mpg, an older woman. I found from the consignment seller the tires are starting to crack on the side and most likely dry rot on the back. Everything is supposed to work, needs cleaning, clearcoat starting to peal on the hood. Ugley carpet, needs to be replaced, other than that looks ok. I would hate to go 500 miles to find its not worth the price. Price is $22k, I will try to get it for 21K to buy tires. Although I do not know how flexable the consignmeny shop is, the owner said they have the athority to negotiate but of first ask they said they would not. Its already 14 years old 84,000 miles. Although all new batteries and just serviced.

Question, is there much difference between the 98,99,2000, 2001, 2002 that would make that year a better choice? I want to stay under 25 I think 22k with a new transmission (the biggest problem area) is a decent deal. Anything else I should look for, I will assume the Refridge may need repair sooner or later. I have replaced the amonia evaporator in the Roadtrek 2 times already.

Opinions Please!!!!

larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
Silver Member

The '97-'01 Rialta are all very close, possibly a few cosmetic type changes. In '02 they started using the 201 HP engine, but the rest is similar.

Sounds like a reasonable price to me, considering the general market prices reported. Mpg depends a lot on how it's driven. Real world reports tend to be around 15-17 mpg. If you always drive at the high end of the speed limit, you can expect less. Keeping it to 55-60 should get at the higher end or more. Terrain can also make a big difference.

Try to find out if it has a VW rebuilt tranny or if another shop did it. Other places often make mistakes and problems crop up.

Tires need to have the correct load index and can be difficult to find. Don't rely on a tire dealer to know what you need. The front must be rated at least 104 and the rear 109.

If you decide it's worth going after, you might want to use the checklist to get a pretty good idea of any problems: http://tinyurl.com/or4wyt5

An external transmission cooler is a welcome addition in most cases:

http://tinyurl.com/ow4e6gq

Duane

TXPigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thank you for the post. Last night I did a lot more looking. I also found that 15-17 was tehe average, I have to find out about the tranny, thae aspect of getting service has been my biggest dtumbling block. My locql honest repair shop does my Roadtrek power tain and tires and I do the coach part. I also did some mpg caculatiions and looked some more. I found a 2003 Gulf Stream B Touring Cruser thats suppposed to get 15mpg but real world its 12-15 and has a ford V12 power train. Only 21Ft and I like the layout way more. Rear bathroom and moterised sofa to make a king size bed. The difference in mpg between 15 and 20 mpg. Is only $583 at $3.50 per 20,000 miles.

larrylwill is offline   Reply With Quote