Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Default Need tire advice.

Hi, I am picking up a 2003 Rialta next week in Denver, CO. It needs one tire replaced but I wish to replace all 4. My Local tire expert recommends. Michelin, steel belted 235/85 R16. Manufacturer specs as the present owner states. manual, rear 215/65R16C, front195/65R16C.

What can you folks reccomend.

ewgarlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #2

also have the same question and do we have to have different sizes between front and back? we just blew a back and have the spare on, but need to get a new tire any body got any answers thanks

leen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

We have just purchased a 99 HD from its original owner. It has Michelin 205/65 R15C on all four wheels. It functioned fine for the past owner and handled flawlessly for us on the 800 mile trip back to our home.

What should we be aware of and why such a lot of discussion about needing Continental tires of different size?

Any thoughts, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Paul Heys (paul@investorship.com)

investorship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

We have just purchased a 99 HD from its original owner. It has Michelin 205/65 R15C on all four wheels. It functioned fine for the past owner and handled flawlessly for us on the 800 mile trip back to our home.

What should we be aware of and why such a lot of discussion about needing Continental tires of different size?

Any thoughts, suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Paul Heys (paul@investorship.com)

Old 07-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #5

Nokian makes tires in both 195/65/16 and 215/65/16 sizes. Heavy load ratings, and great in bad weather/loose terrain. You can use just the 215's all around, and then you can rotate the tires.

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-77.....c-van.aspx

These guys know their stuff. The person (Pat) that helped me knew I had a Rialta just by the sizes I asked for.

Pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #6

Pman said:

Nokian makes tires in both 195/65/16 and 215/65/16 sizes. Heavy load ratings, and great in bad weather/loose terrain. You can use just the 215's all around, and then you can rotate the tires.

These guys know their stuff. The person (Pat) that helped me knew I had a Rialta just by the sizes I asked for.

What are the ramifications of using the 205/65 R15C tires that are on the unit now? What would be the advantages of a 215?

Thanks for your thoughts and help. Paul

Old 07-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #7

investorship said:
Pman said:

What are the ramifications of using the 205/65 R15C tires that are on the unit now? What would be the advantages of a 215?

Thanks for your thoughts and help. Paul

The 205/65/16 will basically split the difference between the 2 stock sizes. The 195 is 26" tall, the 205 is 26.5" and the 215 is 27". Same thing on the width. I am not sure if going smaller in the rear may cause any issues, but if it did, you would probably know about it. If it has been working for you, I would not see a reason to change.

Pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
D0N
Bronze Member

My rialta has the stock size tires on it. The rear tires are 1.5 inches taller than the front tires!

This makes the RV permanently unlevel... especially, when I pump up the rear air bags!

When I replace my tires I will make sure to get the 215's all around.

D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #9

The major factor you need to look for in a tire is that for safe operation it needs to be capable of carrying the weight of the Rialta. For the Rialta, you need to look for a 109/107 rating which translates to a carrying capacity of 2271 pounds. While common in Europe, there are very few tires available in the U.S. that are designed to carry that heavy of a load.

We recently went through that tire search process ourselves and wound up purchasing a full set of five all-season raidal "Nokian WR C Van" tires, size 215/65 R16C with a load capacity of 2271 pounds at 70psi. They can be ordered online from tiresbyweb.com --- they are very familiar with the Rialta's tire requirements and seem to have them in stock. Fortunately, however, we had a local tire dealer who got them for us at a much better price, and also provided free mounting, balancing and new high pressure valve stems. They don't stock the Nokians but were able to get them for us in less than a week. You can reach them at: Newbridge Tire Center, 1475 Merrimon Ave., Asheville, NC 28804 (phone: 828-255-8005).

Sheldon

sheldon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:48 PM   #10

I have a 96 with the 190/75 15C tire, Continentals on it now are dry rotted, can you advise on what other sizes have been used with good success? Thanks.

tcwagner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #11

Why does the Rialta come standard with different size tires on the front and back (195 front & 205 back)? Some of the comments suggest this makes the vehicle uneven. Why shouldn't I replace the tires with the same 205 front and back. This would make the vehicle more even and increase the vehicle clearance a bit? Any thoughts, comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Old 09-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #12

When you change to a larger tire on the front, you change the gear ratio and you may very well get lower gas mileage, also your lowest grear may not be low enough when climbing steep roads, also could put more stress on the transmission. Just a thought. I owned one motor home with on size larger tires on the back and the gas milage suffered by 3 to 4 mpg. don

donminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #13

My understanding on the difference between the front and rear tires is that the rear tires carry a heavier load and the front tires need to be smaller for load balancing. Also has something to do with fuel economy to have the body canted forward.

The refrigerator requires that teh chassis be leveled and the forward canting is taken into account when the appliances are bolted to the floor. If you put same size tires front and rear, your refrigerator may not work.

Gumppy is offline   Reply With Quote