Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Norcold Freezer door springs (HD model only)

I have noticed in many Rialtas for sale that nearly every one of their freezer doors (in HD models) fall open or people have secured them with Velcro, etc. That doesn't allow a good seal and if the door falls the freezer isn't isolated and you have lousy refrigeration and lots of dripping water. The freezer door is supposed to be spring-loaded. Setting these springs can be a nightmare if you don't know the "trick". This is providing that your spring housing (inside part you don't see) isn't broken. Mine was!

The best thing to do is buy the new spring assemblies. There is a LEFT and RIGHT on those and you cannot work them any other way. Buy both - trust me. They are wound something like a clock spring. Installing them can be nearly impossible if you do it the way you "think" it should go. Winnebago Parts does not supply a "how to" sheet when you get them so here's how:

You insert both of the spring assy's into the holes in fridge. Be sure to have one side hinge (part screwed into bottom of door) already screwed on. Then insert the door hinge pin into that spring. Make sure that the top of each spring assemby (part that locks into upper locking hole) is pivoted down and towards back of fridge. Then take the opposite hinge pin, insert it into the spring tube, and screw it to the bottom of the freezer door. Close the freezer door manually and take both spring tube assemblies and turn them towards the front of the fridge and continue until they lock in their retaining holes. They should be under tension and snap into place. It may take a time or two to understand this but this is how it's done. The door should have the proper factory tension. If it happens that the door "pops" and the spring tension is gone, do the procedure over again. It can happen that some fridge sidewalls have bowed out a bit. You can add a small spacer if needed at the spring assembly tube that will draw them closer together. Also, when in use, just open the freezer door carefully and don't yank it open. Let me know if this works for any of you and I hope I wrote it understandable? Good Luck!

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 AM   #2

We have the same model Paul. Our door also falls open when you open the frig, so I will give it a shot to install it.... I don't have a lot of patience LOL - so this could be troublesome! Thanks again!

Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Wayne,

If you are anywhere near Phoenix or Casa Grande, I could do the springs for you. It should just take a couple of minutes. The plastic housings (tubes the springs are in) fatigue and break.

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

CGAZ Paul said:

Wayne,

If you are anywhere near Phoenix or Casa Grande, I could do the springs for you. It should just take a couple of minutes. The plastic housings (tubes the springs are in) fatigue and break.

Thanks so much, I will certainly keep that in mind......... You are certainly helpful on here and appreciate all your posts.....

Wayne

Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote