Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Default Notable Problems with Rialta?

Hello, I'm a newbie who just sold my '91 VW Westfalia due to ongoing difficulty getting parts, things going bad, expensive repairs I could no longer afford, etc. It was becoming a money pit. I've never been in a Rialta, but like what I see in photos and am interested in buying one. Would some of you with experience please tell me what inherent problems people have to deal with especially when the Rialta has had a number of owners with varying degrees of attentiveness to mechanical issues (in the vanagon it was often the head gaskets.) BTW, I am a woman with NO mechanical abilities, but an eye for the next road adventure and no desire to have frequent breakdowns in out-of-the-way places. Thanks for the kindness of your helpful thoughts.

montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello and welcome! I am a recent buyer of a used 1999 HD Rialta. Mine had two previous owners. It was well cared for and very pristine but I had troubles with things that they never used. Most components are the same used in many RV's and usually trouble free. My owners rarely turned anything on. The generator was the most neglected, the shower was never used (it has a power operated pump to drain it). I run all systems properly and now that the bugs are out of it all is fine. Mechanically, regarding the Volkswagen VR6, I have been amazed at its design and performance. I had a few things go wrong and a few Check Engine lights but since I've owned it, ALL work has been done by Volkswagen and it is doing great. I think the biggest mistake people make is having work done at regular garages. Seems to be where I find people having the most trouble with their rigs. As for quality, quiet, design, AND comfort; you can't beat it. I feel like I am in a private jet or (I joke with people) a Rolls-Royce of RV's. I just love it and though it is small compared to most RV's it suits me just fine. Don't let the small shower fool you. Just try it (read manual carefully on this) and hopefully you will be pleased as I was. The conveniences of the motoraid water heater (heats the water from the engine heat) and the motoraid rear heater (also heats the coach from the engine heat) make it a carefree pleasure to use. I live in Arizona so the roof air struggles to keep it cool but if I need a quick cool, I turn on the overhead AC that runs from the dash. Just that alone keeps the coach super cool even in this heat. The Rialta has the best dash AC I have ever used. 117 degrees outside and it is crisp and cool inside. All in all I think you will enjoy a Rialta and going from your Westfalia to a Rialta will feel like a lot of space. I chose the HD model because it had optimum facilities for cooking and seating people. The HD is the only model with the larger fridge that has a seperate freezer compartment. Also, the only one with an optional lower propane fired oven (this was an option) along with the overhead microwave. It also has a 3-burner stove where the other models have two. Something to know too is that the shower and lavatory sink water do NOT drain to the gray tank like all other RV's. They drain to the larger black tank affording you better shower capacities. When I bought the rig I thought the shower went to the gray and wasn't sure if I could even fit one shower in. The gray tank is small but all that feeds it is the kitchen sink, so it is adequate. The Rialta engineers knew their stuff. Anyhow, I could go on and on but it is obvious that I have a high regard for these machines! All the best and write us all what you finally come up with!

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

What a great, informative post Paul. I too am interested in purchasing a 2003/2004 Rialta after having several diesel pushers. Your post was very helpful

janbcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:19 PM   #4

We too came to our '03 Rialta from a 42' Monaco Dynasty tired of the constant vigilance it took to drive all day towning our VUE. I'm sure you've found what a great relief driving the Rialta is by now, and pretty great fuel mileage too. As bi-coastal grandparents we primarily travel cross- country 3-4 times a year with our 2 dogs and never intended to do any "heavy duty" camping. It is a great compromise for us, but others may find it does it all, but not well....enjoy and safe travels..... yea and great post Paul.

janbcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #5

janbcarter said:What a great, informative post Paul. I too am interested in purchasing a 2003/2004 Rialta after having several diesel pushers. Your post was very helpful

janbcarter,

I have a 2003 Rialta QD for sale. It has only 28,500 miles We are on the West Coast of Florida. If interested, E-mail at jimterry56@aol.com

Jim

Jim Sturges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
rem
Gold Member

janbcarter said:What a great, informative post Paul. I too am interested in purchasing a 2003/2004 Rialta after having several diesel pushers. Your post was very helpful

I also have a 2005 Rialta for sale, HD. , 40,000 miles.

remscalls@hotmail.com if your interested

tks. Rem

rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #7

CGAZ Paul said:

Hello and welcome! I am a recent buyer of a used 1999 HD Rialta. Mine had two previous owners. It was well cared for and very pristine but I had troubles with things that they never used. Most components are the same used in many RV's and usually trouble free. My owners rarely turned anything on. The generator was the most neglected, the shower was never used (it has a power operated pump to drain it). I run all systems properly and now that the bugs are out of it all is fine. Mechanically, regarding the Volkswagen VR6, I have been amazed at its design and performance. I had a few things go wrong and a few Check Engine lights but since I've owned it, ALL work has been done by Volkswagen and it is doing great. I think the biggest mistake people make is having work done at regular garages. Seems to be where I find people having the most trouble with their rigs. As for quality, quiet, design, AND comfort; you can't beat it. I feel like I am in a private jet or (I joke with people) a Rolls-Royce of RV's. I just love it and though it is small compared to most RV's it suits me just fine. Don't let the small shower fool you. Just try it (read manual carefully on this) and hopefully you will be pleased as I was. The conveniences of the motoraid water heater (heats the water from the engine heat) and the motoraid rear heater (also heats the coach from the engine heat) make it a carefree pleasure to use. I live in Arizona so the roof air struggles to keep it cool but if I need a quick cool, I turn on the overhead AC that runs from the dash. Just that alone keeps the coach super cool even in this heat. The Rialta has the best dash AC I have ever used. 117 degrees outside and it is crisp and cool inside. All in all I think you will enjoy a Rialta and going from your Westfalia to a Rialta will feel like a lot of space. I chose the HD model because it had optimum facilities for cooking and seating people. The HD is the only model with the larger fridge that has a seperate freezer compartment. Also, the only one with an optional lower propane fired oven (this was an option) along with the overhead microwave. It also has a 3-burner stove where the other models have two. Something to know too is that the shower and lavatory sink water do NOT drain to the gray tank like all other RV's. They drain to the larger black tank affording you better shower capacities. When I bought the rig I thought the shower went to the gray and wasn't sure if I could even fit one shower in. The gray tank is small but all that feeds it is the kitchen sink, so it is adequate. The Rialta engineers knew their stuff. Anyhow, I could go on and on but it is obvious that I have a high regard for these machines! All the best and write us all what you finally come up with!

Paul

Paul, your posts are so informative. We are recently new owners of 2002 and taking it out tomorrow for our 1st camping trip. We winter in Arizona and live in Ontario Canada and purchased this unit to make a vacation of driving down and back and taking couple of weeks either way. I will continue to read your posts and learn from them! Cheers!

Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #8

I am on a steep learning curve with our 2003 HD. All three batteries needed to be replaced and when we removed the engine battery and all the rat debris, we discovered a wire bundle that had been chewed on. That solved the start problem and the eng light issue.

The complicated, five speed transmission seems to shutter in third mostly but also fourth gear a bit, so I took it to WiWi Transmissions in Homestead, Fl and they suggested that it was not the trans but something to do with the electronics on the eng. Nest step will be to take it to the main trans shop in Miami and then South Motors Volkswagen. I agree that an experienced Volkswagen Dealer is the place to go for eng relatede issues. They will survey the eng and trans and assoc gerar for $150 and a credit towards any work done. .Am I on the right track. Is there a prefered dealer in South Fl?

Bill

wmwlow is offline   Reply With Quote