Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Power steering making noise

I have a 96 rialta and the power steering is always sounding like its low on fluid.. Do these have a filter on them??? Or does anyone know what to do for this.. Its just annoying.. Thanks Herb

herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Do you mean the PS squeals all the time or just when you turn the wheel. Check if the fluid is low or open the hood and listen for any noise from the belt. The belt has a tensioner that keeps the belt tight and the tensioner pully bearing could be going out. The pulley bearing has been know to go out and break the serpentine belt, which leaves you dead in your tracks. Other members have taken the pully off and regreased it to extend its life. Here is the URL for this procedure.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zer.....id=1138497 This procedure is for the VR6 engine and yours is the 5 cylinder, which may be different.

Hopes this helps.

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I see that the URL was cut short, so here is the complete URL. zerothread?id=1138497

Old 04-14-2015, 06:47 PM   #4
Bronze Member

thanks Mloganusda but its the pump.. it moans when its just idealing or if u turn it it really moans.. Wondering if I need a pump

herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I would start looking for a new or rebuilt pump before this one goes out. If it goes out, you are dead where you sit, as you will loose your belt from lock up and everything that is turned by the belt. Try looking up Ebay parts or Europarts-SD.com but there price is $310.00 for rebuilt. Also check for eurovans that are being parted out. Another option is to find a rebuilder in your area.