Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #1

Default Regular or Premium gas for Rialta

I have received conflicting advice re: the need for regular vs premium gas for the Rialta. I would appreciate input from other Rialta owners. Thank you.
colleencarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Different levels of gasoline are sold according to the octane rating in the fuel. The purpose of Octane is to limit engine knock. The higher compression ratio an engine has, the higher level of Octane you will want.

That stated, most consumer engines do not require high octane fuel. You may request advice from others, but it is unlikely that you need to spend the extra money.

Your best advice will come from the manufacturer. Check the owners manual and follow the recommendations.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Silver Member

I found that running a 91 Octane helped ( regular is 87 here ). The engine seemed to run smoother with less hesitation.
rtsukijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Platinum Member

per my experience , I use premium if in hilly situations ,otherwise regular makes the job !

dint notice any change in consumption
Dan
Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Gold Member

2002 and later Rialtas have the 24valve engine and are meant to run on premium. Though all modern gas vehicles "can" run fine on regular, the engine control unit will adjust the power output to reduce knocking. If you are light on the throttle you wouldn't reach this point, but if going up hills with throttle and rpm higher you will theoretically be power limited and be near the knocking range.
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I wrote about this before. The manual recommends the Premium octane. I very carefully documented my mpg with both scenarios (Low vs. High octane). The high octane gave the unit more "miles-per-dollar" than the others. In multiple trips and tests I have found this to be true. You do not save going cheaper and you compromise the efficiency of the vehicle. So...keep it simple: spend the money to save the money.
CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote