Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

Default Replacement Generator for a 2000 Rialta QD?

We have a 2000 Rialta QD with an Onan generator that looks like it has given up the ghost. The mechanic says it's not repairable (after a hefty sum), and we would like to replace it. Does anyone know if there is a replacement generator that will fit into the small space on a Rialta? Or (alternatively), does anyone have any experience using an exterior, portable generator instead? Thanks!

pilotnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #2

The guy I bought mine from had a Champion 2000 watt generator that he used. Buy a storage rack and strap it to that. Should be able to handle most loads you will put on it. Quiet too!

xiled sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:42 PM   #3

I also own an 88 Vixen 21TD. It does not have a generator, but has a 13,500 btu a/c built into the floor, and an 1100 watt microwave oven. So we opted for a couple Honda EU2000i generators at the cost of about $1000 each to run the a/c. We found out the a/c runs fine on only one of the Honda generators. It holds a gallon of gas and runs 9 hours at 1/2 load, and is VERY quiet. Now, you have to set it down outside and chain it down to keep someone from "borrowing" it, and pull to start it (one pull), but it's worth the effort. Pairing two of them together gets 4000 watts with the parallel cord kit (16.2 amps each I think). If my Generac ever goes bad, I'll use my Honda generator. Also, when I turn off the Honda generator and take it back into the Vixen, there are NO GAS FUMES WHATSOEVER, hot or cold. It weighs 46 pounds. That means you can have 4000 watts available for 96 pounds weight, and you can point the exhaust pipes any direction without having to move the RV. You could mount or store them both in the area where the Generac fits, or put a rack on the back. On my other RV, I had a custom made steel lockable box for a 2000 watt Buffalo brand generator made that slides into the 1 1/4 inch Vixen receiver. Wish that nice box would fit the Honda but it doesn't.

I paid $200 for the Buffalo generator and $275 to have the box made for it. Only has less than 2 hours on it, and I'd sell it for $250 if anyone is looking for a cheap solution. We bought the Hondas while the welding shop had the Buffalo generator and delayed making the box for over 5 months, and we were tired of waiting.

Rev Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote