Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Default Wonderful ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Thanks for the links, just drove it back and on the highway, the engine was more than enough. Thankfully it didn't feel like it was floating, I was actually surprised that it was a good compromise of comfort and feel of the road.
As I said, I actually never drove one.... that's excellent news.. I hope you are getting this for a good price. It's a 15 to 16 year old vehicle..

I've read good things about the VR6 engine..... quite a workhorse....and you will get 15 to 16 MPG.. I think....on the highway....

So, how was the acceleration... pretty decent you say.... My V6 feels pretty peppy to around 60 to 65... but, it doesn't have rapid power beyond that...... gearing I suppose...

RVs are not designed for speed...you really need the low end torque for moving the weight from a dead stop.....

I presume you already purchased the vehicle and checked for any possible leaks?

Congratulations ...the Rialta VWs have a certain cache.... You might have a challenge getting a VW dealership to work on them, but, screw them...find a good independent mechanic....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I don't think there is really any comparison between a Navion, which is a duallie class C with 10K+ GVWR, and a Rialta. The drive isn't even on the same end. The Rialta is smaller, lighter, shorter, and IIRC narrower and on small size single wheels.

Very, very, different vehicles. It would be much more reasonable to compare the Rialta to a class b, when trying to guess how it performs.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:00 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Default The Rialta is a Class C vehicle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I don't think there is really any comparison between a Navion, which is a duallie class C with 10K+ GVWR, and a Rialta. The drive isn't even on the same end. The Rialta is smaller, lighter, shorter, and IIRC narrower and on small size single wheels.

Very, very, different vehicles. It would be much more reasonable to compare the Rialta to a class b, when trying to guess how it performs.
I agree with you that the Mercedes Benz Sprinter , Navion,
chassis is much heavier...and that is why the vehicle dynamics on the tail wagging felt like it was a floating barge...

However, the Rialta is clearly a Class C and much wider than a B... It's still a pretty big box back there..and ultimately harder to park...

It's 7 feet 4 inches wide.. that's 89 inches.... my Sprinter is 80 inches wide... that's a significant difference.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:29 AM   #24
Silver Member

Given it's a 4 speed, you will be cruising at about 3000-3500 RPM. This is normal. The transmission overheating is the bigger concern. Make sure you get a Scangauge2 with the Rialta fix ( shows TFT temps ) and/or make sure it has an auxilliary trans cooler. This was not a factory item, but many Rialta owners have added it to help keep the temps down.
rtsukijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #25
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Thanks for the links, just drove it back and on the highway, the engine was more than enough. Thankfully it didn't feel like it was floating, I was actually surprised that it was a good compromise of comfort and feel of the road.
Congratulations on your purchase! If there is a Rialta owners forum, join it.
Happy travels to you and your family!
Old 09-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #26

Thanks for all the info, I'll make sure to get a scan gauge and look into the trans cooler. One thing I have going is I live in the flatlands of the midwest and the RV trans will rarely get pushed but as a precaution it can't hurt.

Already joined the Rialta boards and of course here, a wealth of great information that others are willing to share.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Default rialta

Before you buy any Rialta check it for rust in the floors and wheel wells. The under coating cracks and lets moisture in. I have owned 5 rialtas and all 5 had some rust. I now own a roadtrek and it is a much better unit.
289cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:30 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Cardinal rule. It's obvious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 289cobra View Post
Before you buy any Rialta check it for rust in the floors and wheel wells. The under coating cracks and lets moisture in. I have owned 5 rialtas and all 5 had some rust. I now own a roadtrek and it is a much better unit.
NEVER.... I repeat, never purchase any vehicle with rust.

Once it starts, it's almost impossible to stop...

Same thing goes for leaking roofs and cracked fiberglass.