Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Default Sealed transmission?

WiWi Transmissions in Miami, Fl says if a transmission shop tells you the transmission is sealed and doesn't need fluid and filter changes every 10K, turn and walk away.......... My 2003 HD was shuttering in third and fourth. The fluid and filter needed to be replaced.

wmwlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

Amen! After 45 years around automatic transmissions I am amazed VW sold the Eurovan with a "sealed" transmission. It guarantees you will be replacing the entire transmission at some point in the future. A kit was available to install a dipstick and tube, mine has one. I don't know if they are still available. Thiink about it, the Rialta is much heavier than a Eurovan and the transmission is working harder to move it around. The resulting higher heat breaks the fluid down, hurting its lubricative ability. The best thing you can do for the Rialta transmission is to change the fluid and filter on a regular basis, every 25,000 miles or so based on my experience with hard working truck transmissions which create comparable heat. An external transmission heater with a thermal bypass for colder weather is also a great idea. If you are reasonably handy and patient a cooler kit can be installed in a long afternoon! About $250 from Makco Transmission on the net.

mechanic68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Bronze Member

And when you do change the trans fluid, make sure you use Amzoil - nothing less.

Bob and Dedra is offline   Reply With Quote