Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
D0N
Bronze Member

Default Shore power & coach battery question

Does the AC to DC converter / battery charger continually charge the batteries whenever the RV is connected to shore power?

I'm concerned that being plugged in to shore power for extendend periods (days or weeks) will ruin my 2 new coach batteries by overcharging.

Or does the coach battery charger only charge when the batteries need to be charged? Like a trickle charger.

thanks

D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #2

Default Shore power & coach battery question

I am new to Rialta's, but the Itasca Spirit (same as winnie warrior)
built on a toyota chassis does. On that one, when you in introduce 120v ac, the cabin battery is isolated, the converter operates providing 12v dc in the cabin & charges the cabin battery.

How to verify? with engine off, turn on interior lights (or better yet, apply voltmeter to a 12v dc destination, like a cigarette lighter in the back (not on the dash) or remove a bulb and test there) and introduce 120v ac - plug in or start generator. The lights should get brighter.

A 12 volt batter should test at 12.5v dc. With power being applied - like the battery charger it should go a bit higher.

On the Spirit, when the engine runs, it charges both batteries & the lights also get brighter.

DanAtTheCape is offline   Reply With Quote