Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Default Shower drain strainer in real problem.

Just purchased 1999 HD, Shower does not drain. Do I need gaskets after I clean strainer and put cap back on. What will prevent the seal from leaking? Strainer is found by lifting left seat in rear and looks hard to get your hand into to press down and turn left to remove cap. Manual said to remove and clean strainer and place back and press down on cap and turn right to reseal. Looks hard to do.

Don1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You posted this in May, but I will answer anyhow. Just had the same problem with my 1999 HD. There should be a thin O-ring seal on the perimeter where the strainer part pushes back on. It is very hard to do from that back seat. Also, you may want (or need) to unscrew the fitting that goes to the strainer cap. I cleaned my strainer and the drain still didn't work. Once I got water forced through the drain line (with a rubber hose) it started working.....BUT! Once the pump dried again it wouldn't self prime. I bought a new ShurFlo pump head (model 208 for about $50. You take the floor of the wardrobe out (easiest way to service this pump) with three screws hidden under the carpet. The pump head has 3 screws attaching it to the motor. There are two red wires that clip into the pump head assembly. Mark them, unplug them, unscrew the two pipe lines, and screw the new pump head on. The power drain should work like a charm. I poured a two gallon bucket of water into the shower pan and it gurgled it away in about 6 seconds!!! I believe that the diaphragms dry out on the shower pumps mainly from lack of use. I use my shower and it is actually quite roomy if you do it right. It is best to leave the bathroom door open while showering. If you are quick and efficient you should use no more than 2 1/2 gallons - which is about one shower pan full. That drains to the black tank and barely make an indication which means you can take several showers self-contained. Good luck and post your results!

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 AM   #3

Cgaz Paul, I have read your posts regarding the shower pump. We have just purchased a '99 Rialta and while cleaning if I discovered the shower drain was reall dirty, lots of smallish flakes of something. I don't know whetted the pump worked before I cleaned than of not but it doesn't now. Next I cleaned the pump filter and discovered the screen was very dirty but also rusty to the point of deteriation. Cleaned that and made a new screen for it. Still doesn't work though it sounds like it is working. Can you tell me how you used the rubber hose to force water? I've got to get this figured out and keep hubby happy so we can hit the road!

if I end up having to replace the pump can anyone tell me exactly what pump to get?

ljdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Platinum Member

If you look at the shower drain it has threads that you can screw a garden hose to. Turn on the hose and turn on the pump. This should replace the air that is keeping the pump from primming, shut off the hose and pump. Remove the garden hose and try some water in the shower pan to see if the pump still has its prime. If the pump still has its prime, it should pump out the shower drain to the black tank. Some members have rerouted the shower drain with a two way valve to the gray water tank or to the outside (beware that you should not dump gray water in some parks, EPA). If the shower pump does not drain the shower pan, then look into purchasing a pump head. The replacement head can be purchased at any RV store or check EBay.

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Platinum Member

If you look at the shower drain it has threads that you can screw a garden hose to. Turn on the hose and turn on the pump. This should replace the air that is keeping the pump from primming, shut off the hose and pump. Remove the garden hose and try some water in the shower pan to see if the pump still has its prime. If the pump still has its prime, it should pump out the shower drain to the black tank. Some members have rerouted the shower drain with a two way valve to the gray water tank or to the outside (beware that you should not dump gray water in some parks, EPA). If the shower pump does not drain the shower pan, then look into purchasing a pump head. The replacement head can be purchased at any RV store or check EBay.

mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:50 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I have an update on the Shower Power Drain situation. The replacement pump head is a Shurflo model 2088 (pump head only) which is around $50. Super easy to do. It is a good idea to make sure the line from the shower floor to the screened filter is clear and of course the screen. Since I wrote the first posting above I ended up moving the filter screen (which wasn't easy). I have the HD Rialta model so in mine the filter housing was under the closet wall that goes to the bed/dinette waaaay down in there. Too hard to take that durn thing apart after about 8-12 showers (the norm before the screen clogs). Since the closet floor is so easy to come out I attached an assist strap to the floor so I can easily pull it out (rather than pulling the carpet fibers apart!). The filter screen housing is now directly under the middle of the wardrobe floor and so easy to get to. In doing the re-route, sadly my original filter housing plastic broke. I realized they sell a new and improved version that is so much easier to clean and open. Now, with the new location it is really no problem at all. I love using the shower in my Rialta. Also, after the 2013 posting that I wrote, my Atwood Water Heater burned out. I bought an exact replacement with the Motoraid feature. It was extremely difficult to replace and install because of the confines and stiffness (and short segments) of the PEX lines (plastic water lines). I did buy all new fittings just to make sure all would last. I was too leery to let just any service place try and do this as I have seen the lack of training at most of these facilites. I wanted everything factory original. I don't like doing these repairs but peace of mind is everything. No one to blame but myself. Hopefully, this clarifies various mysteries regarding the Power Drain. It's a neat system; use it!

Paul

CGAZ Paul is offline   Reply With Quote