Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

Default tank level readings

My Rialta is a 2001 22HD
Late last season my waste tank readings quit working. It was gradual, first the sewage tank and then the grey water reading. I have just gone ahead and used the RV, but would like to get those readings working. Anyone out there have experience and know how to determine if it is between the tank sensors and the panel (everything else on the status panel is working) - and if it is the tank sensors how much of a problem is it to make them work again?
Oh, I have found a good VW mechanic that is not afraid to work on a Rialta or a Westphalia in the Iowa City Iowa area - Maxwell Auto. If you need chassis work he is your man!
Don B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Unfortunately the basic operating premise of the system is pretty flakey and most people have trouble with the Black tank especially. The gray tank is somewhat better but apparently both tanks are subject to contamination of the sensors. There are a couple of aftermarket replacement sensors which claim to be better. Horst Miracle probes use a teflon hooded sensor wire which claims to be free from contamination problems, SeeLevel gauges use a different principle (capacitance measurement) and mount to the outside of the tanks. They claim to be accurate and foolproof, but they are quite expensive... north of $250 plus installation, if you are not doing it yourself. I guess most of us just live with the inaccurate sensors and estimate the drain interval.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:06 AM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

When you ran out of water,
that's time to dump the tanks.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

When you ran out of water,
that's time to dump the tanks.

That works for me BBQ with a 05/04 Roadtrek 190. I don't really need the gray or black water sensors. I only have one display for 'both' fresh water tanks. The 06 190 has a display for both tanks which I also don't need.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote