Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 PM   #1

Default Transmission Control Module Update

I have a 2000 VW Eurovan (2001 Rialta) and I'm replacing the TCM as a first step that will hopefully correct my transmission issues. When I bought this Rialta used, I discovered that the windshield had had a water leak at the base on the driver's side for years. I have about 77k miles and recently put a transmission cooler from Rialta Heaven on it. Here's what I've learned so far to share:

1. When I gave my VIN to the local VW dealer parts dept. the part # is 01P927733 BF. The"BF" designation is for the Winnebago modified TCM. This part # number may vary for you.

2. I paid $730 when I bought it on-line from Jim Ellis VW in Atlanta, GA.

3. Even though the part is programmed by VW engineers for Winnebago, it still must be "programmed" to recognize the vehicle. This requires a mechanic with the correct VW computer to set it up. This is NOT a simple unplug/plug-in the new one operation.

4. The TCM is fairly easy to access with the removal of a few plastic screws. It lives behind the kick panel on the driver's side just behind the lever that opens the engine lid.

4. We will also use the computer program to determine the correct transmission fluid level at the appropriate temperature. After all of this, we want to be certain that the fluid levels are correct.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, then we will reluctantly have to go deeper and perhaps replace the transmission. For my VIN, VW has quoted the correct transaxle part number as 1P300056FX. The price is just under $5,000. This seems to be comparable to other prices that I've seen on line (i.e., GoWesty). This includes a core charge ($1,500). I think purchasing it from VW has some advantages since it will be warrantied through their dealer network. Hope this helps anyone who's considering this.

Harve is offline   Reply With Quote