Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #1

Default Transmission Issue

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Rialta with automatic transmission. I am having a front transmission seal leak. I have no idea what to do. I have only lost maybe a quart of fluid however, I'am not wanting to ruin the trans if possible. It drives and I have 70,000 miles. I was told i'll have to have it worked on. Any suggestions for Illinois as where to go. I doid go to local VW place they said couldn't do it. They don't have a big enough to lift.. help

Fado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #2

Default Transmission Issue

Fado said:

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Rialta with automatic transmission. I am having a front transmission seal leak. I have no idea what to do. I have only lost maybe a quart of fluid however, I'am not wanting to ruin the trans if possible. It drives and I have 70,000 miles. I was told i'll have to have it worked on. Any suggestions for Illinois as where to go. I doid go to local VW place they said couldn't do it. They don't have a big enough to lift.. help

I purchased a 1997 RD and just lost the transmission. Went to VW in Farmington, MI and they stated they couldn't do anything for the same reason. They suggested a truck repair shop near them. I had them (VW) read the codes in the unit to see if it was a computer problem or a mechanical transmission problem. It turned out to be the converter lockup. The truck repair shop stated they couldn't do it because they didn't have a supplier for the trans (I think they jst didn't want the headache). Called a AAMCO transmission shop and they stated if they could get it on a lift they would do it. Delivered vehicle and because it is a front wheel drive, they stated that they would be able to do it. Currently I approved a disassembly ($400) to see what they find. Estimate could be as high as $3500. Currently on hold until they tell me what they find.

Romant is offline   Reply With Quote