Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #1

Default Transmission Problems 94 95 Rialta

Im having shifting problems with my unit jumps on the way up on the shifting, but handles 60 mph pretty consistant, Volkswagon tells me this transmission is no longer available from the factory, and with the reputation of transmission shops Im concerned with the cost and where to go. Has anyone experienced similar problems Im currently in California and trying to get back to Canada unit has 95K but Im thinking this is too early for major transmission problems. Any advice will be appreciated. Terry

Terry Madden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #2

Rumor has it that the VW tranny's in these things have a reputation for going bad.

I would start asking around for transmission shops that have a good reputation with VW's in your area -- asking at VW dealers might be a start.

There are good trany shops - but finding them is an art. Often the good ones ( I define that as good price & good mechanic, not just a parts changer) is not easy.

DanAtTheCape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #3

How did you resolve the issue?

RialtaQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #4

RialtaQD said:How did you resolve the issue?

My brother-in-law found a '95 Rialta for sale. The auto transmission had gone out and the repair/replacement estimate was too high, 2008 . (I don't know what it was). He bought it, found a compatible '95 Eurovan with straight transmission, replaced it himself, and got lots more miles out of it. He has since died of cancer and I just bought it from my sister. The check engine light comes on at times and the rpm/power seems to drop. Otherwise, it runs great with acceptable power though slows a bit on extended up hill grades. To make this conversion might be a bit costly in a shop, don't know!

123gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote