Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #1

Default Transmission Question

We need your help! We have a 2000 QD that shudders occassionaly when getting up to speed. Our repiar shop says we need a transmission rebuild? They also suggested a transmission modifier? Does anyone have any feedback or thoughts as I don't want to spend $4000 on a rebuild, if I do not have to? Thanks.

RialtaQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #2

Hi I also have this problem took it to 2 dealers they both suggested I start with replace ribbin and valve body $1800 no guantee. Have not done any repairs yetm have you had your repaired yetwhat did they do and where.

eathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Have you changed your transmission fluid? If it has gotten overheated (like traveling in mtns.) it should be changed, many Rialta owners with a variety of transmission issues have found things improve significantly with a simple fluid change. Many change after every major trip (10,000 miles).

CReese98 RC Twin

csreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

After my first post I hade a engine light come on hade it checked at 5 local transmission shops Torque convertor lock up clutch malfunction They all had a different reason and a different repair to correct . I ended up going to a audi vw transmission repair shop in toronto .the transmission guy dave told me he repair 2 of these transmissions a week Most of which had to do with the valve body.broken springs or worn pistons in the valve bodyIn my case it was a bearing that fell apart and contaninated the valve body. He is now rebuilding the transmission and the valve body [there is a up grade kit avallible for this valve body] because of a 7.00 bearing I was returning from a trip from alaska 11000 mile and was lucky i made it the last 3000 miles .And yes he recommend changing the fluid every 20,000 miles. and yes i was travelling in the mountains

Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #5

We have a 97 RD and in May before leaving on an extended trip, we had major work done including transmission fluid replaced. We got from Florida to Salt Lake City and the transmission started acting up badly in the higher gears. Luckily ?? we found an ATRA transmission shop near Salt Lake City who replaced our transmission with a rebuilt one. We started out again & got as far as Bothell, Washington (near Seattle) and the lower gears in the transmission started sliding instead of engaging. We called the first shop & he said the valve body was probably shot in the rebuild and he contacted another ATRA shop in Seattle. After they looked at the transmission, it was decided to again replace the transmission but with a VW tranny. If anyone has to have a transmission replaced, make sure the shop belongs to ATRA (American Transmission Rebuilders Association) because they give a 100% 1 year guarantee. The second transmission cost us nothing except inconvenience in time. The first shop had to cover the ordering & shipping of the VW tranny plus the cost of both the tranny and the installation. After that the Rialta ran great to British Columbia, back to Michigan and then back to Florida - 9000 miles in total. We know if we had another rialta with the same problem, we would not have a rebuilt transmission installed but would insist on an original new VW one.

yellowbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I was wondering if either of you had a transmission cooler installed. We are considering that now. It apparently dramatically reduces the incidence of tranny failure in the Rialta. Alternative is fluid change every 10K.

C Reese

98 RC Twin

csreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM   #7

I do not have a transmission cooler installed but have been looking into it. There is good video on youtube from rialta heaven. I am going to talk to my transmission guy about it. The bearing went in my transmission at 35k and as far as i know the fluid had not been changed . i was waiting for 40k as per my vw manual . I now know it should be changed much sooner.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #8

We have a transmission cooler in ours & also had the tranny oil changed less than 3000 miles before the transmission went out!!! When its time, its just time I guess. Just watch for ATRA transmission shops because a lot of the others don't give much warranty. We were really impressed with the service & help they gave us. They have a website which lists all their shops across Canada & the U.S.

yellowbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

Well I got my rialta back a 12.00 bearing blew apart and caused $1700.00 in parts and $1800.00 in labour. Transmission runs good went on a 300 mile trip just to test it out. The only issue is the starter would not dissengage fast enough. Light grinding after engine starts. The machanic said it might be from the new ring gear on the tourque convertor or the bendix on the starter is bad. he will wait and see . I tride a new starter but same thing. I asked hime if there is a chance the put the wrong ring gear on the torque convertor He said not very likely the all are the same on the eurovans from 1995 . But he will call the torque convetor rebuilder and get back to me. Anyone have any comments on the issues thx

Old 06-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

Barring any mechanical problems, I would try this additive first - http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-11.....Protectant

It has worked for me in the past.

MDR

Mark R is offline   Reply With Quote