Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 02:04 AM   #1

Default Transmission Rebuild Thoughts

Thinking of rebuilding your transmission? It is the weak link in VW powertrain. Some things to consider... 1) finding a transmission shop that will put your Railta up in the air to drop the transmission is not easy. I found a Cottman transmission shop that has the capacity. 2) make sure the transmission control module and the engine control module are "reflashed" to the most up to date VW codes. 3) be very careful with the VW rebuilt valve bodies. The first transmission rebuild failed after a few miles because of the VW valve body. The build quality on these is very poor. The transmission was rebuilt again with another valve body and this one seems to be holding up. The VW valve body IS the weak link in these transmissions. There is a slightly different valve body configuration (spring rates I think) for the Rialta. The Cottman transmission has a 50k guarantee. If I do have a problem with it on the road, any Cottman location will deal with it. Also, don't forget the transmission cooler. It's cheap insurance. All of the damage done to the old transmission was heat related. I found a transmission dipstick from Europarts in San Diego and had that installed during the rebuild. It makes it easy to check the fluid level, color, and smell. My rebuild was about $4850. Hope this helps anyone that may be considering a rebuild.

Harve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
Platinum Member

transmission oil cooler is mandatory on a Rialta ....

I added a temp gauge too ......

Dan ,
bigdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #3

Dan, Where did you buy the transmission cooler and the install kit?
Jim
metacenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Platinum Member

You can buy a trans cooler from any auto parts store or transmission repair shop.

At this time of year many trans shops have deals on them which includes installation. I'd also like to add that if you're installing a cooler, you should change your fluid and filter.

DO NOT go to the local oil change place for a filter and fluid change. Go to a transmission shop.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacenter View Post
Dan, Where did you buy the transmission cooler and the install kit?
Jim
like mentionned, any auto part store will have these in stock .....

what I have to find is the size of the two adapters to install on the transmission to replace the two banjo bolts that are original .....

did mine ,noted it somewhere , but seems like I lost the note ...lollll
it`s an easy to get adapter ( hardware store )

ill find the note and post it ....sorry for delay !

Dan
Old 05-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Thumbs up Transmission Cooler Addition

The best transmission cooler kit is this one from Makco: Transmission Cooler kit for RIALTA GROUP (U.S. Version) 4921-1K
This includes everything to do the job. I did not use the hose that came with the kit but purchased transmission hose from NAPA for high pressure. This was because the supplied hose had had problems in the past. The bypass valve is best purchased for Dr. Rialta (aka Duane Schwab of NoTowBago). The bypass lets the temperature warm up faster like the thermostat for radiator fluid.

Mike Logan
04' HD w/QD Chair
Smyrna, TN
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
The best transmission cooler kit is this one from Makco: Transmission Cooler kit for RIALTA GROUP (U.S. Version) 4921-1K
This includes everything to do the job. I did not use the hose that came with the kit but purchased transmission hose from NAPA for high pressure. This was because the supplied hose had had problems in the past. The bypass valve is best purchased for Dr. Rialta (aka Duane Schwab of NoTowBago). The bypass lets the temperature warm up faster like the thermostat for radiator fluid.

Mike Logan
04' HD w/QD Chair
Smyrna, TN
This is the cooler that I just ordered. Ordered the thermostat also.
JimDyson is offline   Reply With Quote