Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default A/C dash control panel for 1995 RoadTrek P 190 needed!

I am asking for clues how or where to find a replacement cabin A/C control panel for my '95 RoadTrek P 190, built on a Dodge B3500 chassis (also used by the Dodge van). (The Chevy equivalent is probably different). The unit description is below.

(I heard a rumor there is an outfit in Tempe, AZ that specializes in such stuff, but I have been unable to locate it.)

It could also help me if you can tell me about different years or models of RoadTrek or Van with an A/C control unit that fits the description below: it will allow me to widen my search. The 1995 Ram van/wagon service manual shows the three chassis variants all have the same control unit as mine, so I expect if the same control unit shows up in any Dodge van model in other years, it will work for me.

My problem is that the dash A/C control unit vacuum system leaks. The result is that A/C intermittently shuts down (no air comes into the cab at all, although the fan can still be heard blowing strongly). The A/C air flow will come back on eventually by randomly fiddling with the controls.

The diagnostician tells me the control unit is faulty, & cannot be repaired, but he can't find one through his sources. It bears no part number and Dodge can tell him nothing about it.

Should I post this request on any other subforum to get better attention?

I'll greatly appreciate any advice!

UNIT DESCRIPTION (it is OEM as shown in Owner's and Service Manuals).
The unit has a horizontal temperature control lever at the top.
To the right of it is a vertical fan speed control lever.
Below are 6 pushbuttons, from left to right, 1) OFF, 2) MAX A/C (recirculate),
3) NORM (push in - A/C; out - vent),
4) BI-LEVEL - to dash, floor, defrost: (push in - A/C; out - vent),
5) HEAT, 6) DEFROST

Seeking Knowledge, Dreaming of Wisdom
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: A/C control panel for 1995 RoadTrek 190 P needed!

RV junkyards -- like Colaw in Missouri?
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #3
Gold Member

Default Re: A/C dash control panel for 1995 RoadTrek P 190 needed!

Fortunately Roadtreks are the same as the Dodge vans as far back as the dash, so I'm finding some possibilities at wrecking yards across the nation. The trick was to find a good inventory aggregator: for anyone else in my dilemma, try www.car-part.com.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quick e-bay motors search found this - from the picture this one looks a well used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-DODGE-...66ca6a&vxp=mtr
AmCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Gold Member

Thanks, AmCruiser: I had not thought of trying eBay motors.

I like the eBay compatibility checker - if it's accurate, it is very useful, opening up many other years and models that I could harvest a part from.

The only problem to be aware of is that there were sometimes incompatible versions in use at the same time. Some of the early Dodge controllers were heat only. Later, options were extra controls for rear window defrosting, and for rear coach area vents. I don't know if the latter controllers could be used in place of the two lever, 6 button controller I need.

Because no-one seems to use part numbers, it is impossible to check for such pitfalls without photographs and knowledge of different options (Indeed Dodge could not tell my mechanic what part number I needed - a salvage yard assistant was kind enough to research the part # for me - that's when I found out about variants). Even the Service manual does not show part numbers!

After finding a part through http://www.car-part.com I called to verify because the car-parts database did not show there is more than one version and by then I knew that there is. And sure enough, I was initially offered the wrong one. We ended up trading photos, and I hope to get the correct part soon. AND I DID!

A/C working great now......... Thanks to those who kindly contributed ideas!