Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Backup Camera

Saw this at Sam's Club today:

Peak Safety View, 7 inch monitor backup camera, wireless, has reverse image control, $110 (someone on e-bay is asking $190)

Anyone familiar with this camera? Any comments about "wireless"?

If I was to install a B/U camera I'd want to use it as rear view mirror during normal, forward driving, not just for "backing-up" - feasible?
Whiskyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:21 AM   #2

Default Re: Backup Camera

I looked at the cameras in Sam's and it don't have much in the line of specks. There is a good page on rear view cameras on E-bay !! I studded it 4 or5 times before I ordered one ,I haven't got it yet but will let you know how it works when I get it installed. On the wireless cameras the picture is transmitted by RF and is subject to radio interference from all sorts of places .You will have to power the camera and the monitor separately and be able to turn both on and off. You have to Think of the old black and white tv"s and how the picture came and went. Walt
thedoodaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

How did the backup camera work out?

Our new Roadtrek has a receiver with input for a backup camera. I know nothing about this type of equipment.
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #4

Have the camera installed ,and working. Got it from mymobilevision .com the one I have is the 7" mirror clip on type model # smv1320 and the camera is smc 080 . it came as a kit with everything to install it. It seams to be working OK but the remote does not work ,think it may be the battery calls for 3 volts and the battery only has 2.5 volts. I need to take it with me to O'Riley's auto parts ,they have a remote tester .
Running the cable had me stumped for a while ,looking for a hole to run the cable . Only had to drill two holes in some closets and one through the floor under the bed.If you have an xplorer all the wall are double ,and stay 2" from the outside wall they have braces in between all the double walls.I haven't wired up the auto back up when ever the tr annie is put in reverse ,need to find that switch.All in all it seams to be OK for under $300 us. Walt
Old 10-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Gold Member

Last week I bought a Behind Sight wireless camera package. $150 at Canadian Tire. I've installed it on my P'Way, which took about an hour. The camera (perhaps 1.5 X 2.5 inches) mounts on the rear license plate and wires from it are fed through to a very small transmitter/antenna which I've placed in the rear storage. A second pair of wires are then fed through to the wires to one of the back up lights, so camera power is only on when the van is in reverse. the monitor, about the size of a GPS, is powered from the cigarette lighter or other 12v source (it comes fitted with a cigarette lighter plug). The monitor only lights up when it receives a signal from the camera - so only when you are in reverse. The monitor comes with a suction mount, an adhesive dash mount and a vent mount, so there are a number of installation options. So far, it looks excellent - reasonable field of view, night vision capability, fairly cheap and easy to install.
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I'm glad to hear the backup light power source worked. That is exactly what I am planning to do.

Then I just need to get the video signal into my Pase Linear stereo (it has an A/V input for reverse camera).
2014 Honda CR-V
1965 Dodge Coronet 440
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #7

I like to use the rear view camera when in traffic that's why I went with the hard wire.---and It will come on whenever the back-up light is on. W