Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Handy new tools

Just sharing a photo of some new tools I've been using:

handy tools.JPG

grabbed this photo off internet:

dwara120.jpg

The first tools are wobbly extensions. They provide a bit of articulation to let you properly set a socket on a bolt or nut even when access is not straight on. I used a few in series totaling 3' or so to access bolts in the engine compartment from the cab of my van when replacing the pair of cooling system thermostats. I've since used them on other jobs - very handy. The small full articulated adapters also shown can sometimes be a PITA when working at distance because they can flop over.

The second is a right angle attachment for my impact driver. It could also be used with a screwdriver that accepts bits. I didn't buy it for a specific purpose but have used it several times now and wonder why I didn't look for something like it sooner!
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
The first tools are wobbly extensions. They provide a bit of articulation to let you properly set a socket on a bolt or nut even when access is not straight on. I used a few in series totaling 3' or so to access bolts in the engine compartment from the cab of my van when replacing the pair of cooling system thermostats. I've since used them on other jobs - very handy. The small full articulated adapters also shown can sometimes be a PITA when working at distance because they can flop over.

The second is a right angle attachment for my impact driver. It could also be used with a screwdriver that accepts bits. I didn't buy it for a specific purpose but have used it several times now and wonder why I didn't look for something like it sooner!
Have both. Yes handy. Just used the right angle attachment with short hex mount drills to drill holes in the AC drainpan on my Roadtrek 210P. The holes Roadtrek had put in were blocked by the attachment brackets. This may be why some Roadtreks are prone to water leaks from the AC unit, though I had never had that problem.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I like the idea of using hex shank drill bits with the right angle drill attachment. Slow speed is probably best for the right angle attachment.

I have a Dremel right angle attachment but that's only for small diameter bits. I also have hex end drill chuck but that combined with the Dewalt right angle attachment and a typical 1/4" bit would need 7" or space to work.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I like the idea of using hex shank drill bits with the right angle drill attachment. Slow speed is probably best for the right angle attachment.

I have a Dremel right angle attachment but that's only for small diameter bits. I also have hex end drill chuck but that combined with the Dewalt right angle attachment and a typical 1/4" bit would need 7" or space to work.

90 degree power tools are really handy, although they often are self destructing just due to the nature of trying to put much force through a directions change. I have destroyed several of the add on units over the years.

I have a Makita 90* plug in variable speed drill that takes only a couple of inches of space and often put a 1/4" hex bit in the chuck directly so can go in very tight spots.

I had a 90* 3/8" air ratchet that is now deceased, but I didn't care for it anyway as it didn't have enough power to loosen in place bolts so you had to have swing room anyway. I won't be replacing it. I also rarely use an impact wrench on much of anything other than lugnuts, and things that can turn like damper pullies, as I have just done to much damage to bolts with them if they are hard to align.

One of the most useful things I have found lately is a 1/4" ratchet that takes hex pits instead of sockets. Gets in tight spots, extra turning force, reversible ratchet. It was one of those things sitting on the counter of the auto parts store to get impulsive buys (that part worked well) and it has turned out to be one of the most used tools I have.

Also as an impulsive was getting a micro screwdriver set that has (a billion) interchangeable bits and a flexible shaft that can be put on. Great for small stuff in crowded cabinets or equipment. It came from MicroCenter while I was getting a new computer fixed.

A 90* die grinder is also a very handy thing to have, especially if you have one setup for collets for stones, carbides, and sanding discs. I have a 40 year old Chicago Pheumatic which is IIRC 1/2hp but has somehow survived. Most of the 90* units are much less powerful than that.

Lots of useful tools out there, and so little time and justification.....
booster is online now   Reply With Quote