Old 04-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Owners of Travatos be aware that WGO chose the easiest and weakest way to mount a hitch to the van. It bolts only to the end of the "frame" rails and has no extensions to handle weight cantilevered off the back of the coach.

If you choose to use a Stowaway or similar like a motorcycle carrier, have your hitch modified by a competent welder.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
Is that tree kin to a jack-alope or what?
See attached...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR180938-3.jpg (419.7 KB, 32 views)

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I would love to see a picture of a Stowaway mounted on a Roadtrek with the continental spare tire. Best I can tell, you would need a 12" hitch extender to clear the spare and that puts that baby a long way out there. Is that correct?

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

A Stowaway or similar box is just an excuse to carry around more junk you seldom use. Generally they are not very secure, so everything you put in them is subject to being swiped. Makes your van a juicier target for thieves as they see an easy item to pry open.

I had one for a while. I carted a bunch of stuff around that I never took out of the box. It would bounce around and sag. Part of that was the hitch on the travato, part of it is the way the box's frame is designed.

I ended up selling it and downsizing my gear to multi-use items and eliminating the infrequently used items. Life was much better with a 2' shorter van!
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Platinum Member

JohnnyFry said in an earlier post in this thread that he had the Stowaway on a RT 210. I would love to see a picture of that from JohnnyFry or anyone else that has a Stowaway on a Roadtrek with the continental kit. I have wanted one for years but always was concerned about the extension required to get past the kit.

Pictures anyone???

Paul
Old 05-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
JohnnyFry said in an earlier post in this thread that he had the Stowaway on a RT 210. I would love to see a picture of that from JohnnyFry or anyone else that has a Stowaway on a Roadtrek with the continental kit. I have wanted one for years but always was concerned about the extension required to get past the kit.

Pictures anyone???

Paul
As I recall, IF you have twin beds, the spare can go inside. If not, the stowaway 2 simply has a longer extension from the hitch:

Roadtrek and the StowAway Carrier: The Perfect Team | StowAway Cargo Carriers

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I have found only one photo which features the Stowaway. Unfortunately I have none detailing the hitch extension. The box swings out to allow the RH door to open and the tire to swing down.

I am unable to figure out how to add a photo to this message: Please e-mail me at john@jfreitag-dot-com and I will email it to you.

John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The picture-posting issues comes up a lot. Here's a tutorial.

When you hit Reply or start a new thread, there's a box you type into. Below that, in the box titled "Additional Options," there's another box that's called "Manage Attachments." The picture you want to upload must be in one of the valid file extensions listed. I usually use jpeg.

Click on the box that says "Manage Attachments." That brings up a pop-up. In the pop-up, click on "Choose File." Browse to the image you want to upload and click (or double-click) on it. The name of your picture will appear beside the "Choose File" button. You can do that for up to five images - one for each "Choose File" button in the pop-up.

Once you have chosen your pictures, click the "Upload" button. Your computer might take some time doing this, but in a little box under the "Choose File" buttons, there's a box that says "Current Attachments." The name of your image should appear in there.

When you are done, you can click on "Close this Window" at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Then, under the box you've been typing your message into, you can click either Preview Post or Submit Reply and the image will appear at the bottom.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Bud wrote: As I recall, IF you have twin beds, the spare can go inside. If not, the stowaway 2 simply has a longer extension from the hitch.

OK, here is my problem with that approach. (1) using the space available from the rear doors under the bed for storage of a spare takes up most of the room back there and that is a terrific, out of the way and secure storage area. A 16 inch mounted tire is heavy and would occupy several cubic feet of that space. (2) As I recall, the hitch extender to keep the continental spare is a twelve inch or so extender. A Roadtrek 210 is 21 feet, eleven inches long. Add ten inches for the continental spare, so the rig is now 22 feet, nine inches long. Put a StowAWay on it and add the Roadtrek, the extender and the SAW carrier and you are now almost twenty five feet long.

Like wincrasher said above, a two foot shorter van is more happy traveling van.

Just thinking about all this. And I come to the same conclusion as wincrasher. I have thought about adding one of these several times over the years and I think I will just stick with what I have and sometimes wish my 210P was a 170P!!

Paul
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Default Stowaway picture

Thank you for the information, I used "Quick Reply" and did not see the options there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stowaway 2 view.jpg (194.3 KB, 11 views)

JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote