Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Handy Stowaway 2 Cargo Box

I wanted to put all my stray gear in an outside box, so that the interior storage in my Travato could be used for bikes and a kayak.

I got it yesterday and assembled it. Basically it fits all my gear. I put two bins inside to separate my plumbing items from electrical. In the gaps, I put my folding chairs, tables and some sundry items. On top I put my grill table, outside mat, lantern, and lantern post.

http://www.stowaway2.com
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Handy Stowaway 2 Cargo Box

Interesting. We've been considering adding something like that to free up some inside room now that we bring the cat and his "gear" along with us. I've probably got just enough stuff now to fill up one of those boxes. Which model is it, 12 or 16 cuft? Does it seem secure, both when it's locked, and when you're underway? I'm curious about whether you had to shim the hitch receiver at all? Also can spare keys be made easily? A user modifiable combo lock option would be better. I'm also curious about how easy/hard it was to get the lights connected to your van. I think I have a 4 pin connector at my hitch.
Do you have to order from them and have it shipped or are there storefront retailers out there? I'm in Canada.
Yours looks great, installed, btw.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Interesting. We've been considering adding something like that to free up some inside room now that we bring the cat and his "gear" along with us. I've probably got just enough stuff now to fill up one of those boxes. Which model is it, 12 or 16 cuft? Does it seem secure, both when it's locked, and when you're underway? I'm curious about whether you had to shim the hitch receiver at all? Also can spare keys be made easily? A user modifiable combo lock option would be better. I'm also curious about how easy/hard it was to get the lights connected to your van. I think I have a 4 pin connector at my hitch.
Do you have to order from them and have it shipped or are there storefront retailers out there? I'm in Canada.
Yours looks great, installed, btw.
It's the largest one - 16 cu ft.

Seems secure to me. There is a stabilizing plate that you bolt on the secures it to the receiver so it doesn't rattle around. It comes standard with a common hitch pin, but you can put a locking one thru it. I got an extra package that included the top rack, the locking hitch pin and the wheels.

The box has a key-lock. It seems about as secure from break-in as a plastic box is going to be. Most likely will keep out fellow campers and casual thieves walking by. But if they have time and some decent tools (like a hack-saw) then they could get in. I think if someone wants my extra sewer hose and some lawn chairs, then I guess they can have them if they are that dedicated. It comes with two sets of keys. I imagine getting copies at walmart is easy enough. Nothing I see as special about them.

The box comes prewired except for the plate light. You have to screw in the plate bracket and snap the wires into the pins in the wiring harness. You also have to route the harness to your trailer light connector (4 pin) and plug it in. Guess some folks won't want to install the license plate bracket and light and ship it loose.

I ordered mine direct. Had it in about a week. Don't have a clue if they ship to Canada. If you are near the NW, then I suppose you could always just go down and buy one, install it and drive it back.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Thanks for the info.
I'm not in the Northwest but if there are any retailers in Michigan I may see what they have to offer. I think my plate may sit high enough on my van, that I might not need the plate mount on the box.
Also good comments on the security. I guess no one keeps their jewelry and fine art in their cargo carrier.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Silver Member

Have been full-time RV'ing for eight years in TT and 5th wheel and just bought a 2002 Roadtrek to go places where the 5th wheel will not go readily (and if goes, may not return). Saw a StowAway, read about it and purchased. Your writeup(s) have proven quite useful.
Reed and Elaine
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #6

Still trying to figure how a bike rack can go with this tote. On a sprinter Fiamma makes a bike rack that is phenomenal (can be mounted without drilling). But any other RV like a Leisure Travel Van how can this tote work with a bike rack.
mackcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

They deliver to Canada, I had one delivered two years ago to Newfoundland.
Regards,
Gary
Gary-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:03 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Stowaway 2

I have been using a Stowaway 2 on my 210P for about 3 years and couldn't get along without it. You have to be careful about overloading it. I also recommend getting the White one. I have the black an it gets really hot side on a sunny day
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:29 AM   #9
Platinum Member

I have the Stowaway Max for a couple of years, like it lot. For trips longer than 2-3 days we take the box. I recommend to get the rear wheels; my box came with a front wheel so it is very easy to move the box around. With 2 rear wheels it is very easy to insert the box into a receiver, just tilt the box, place the box' hitch on the bottom of the receiver, lift the box and insert – a one-person job.

The second picture shows an elk tree from Oregon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR180937.jpg (405.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg GR180938.jpg (488.8 KB, 34 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
The second picture shows an elk tree from Oregon.
Is that tree kin to a jack-alope or what?
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Owners of Travatos be aware that WGO chose the easiest and weakest way to mount a hitch to the van. It bolts only to the end of the "frame" rails and has no extensions to handle weight cantilevered off the back of the coach.

If you choose to use a Stowaway or similar like a motorcycle carrier, have your hitch modified by a competent welder.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 02:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
Is that tree kin to a jack-alope or what?
See attached...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GR180938-3.jpg (419.7 KB, 34 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I would love to see a picture of a Stowaway mounted on a Roadtrek with the continental spare tire. Best I can tell, you would need a 12" hitch extender to clear the spare and that puts that baby a long way out there. Is that correct?

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

A Stowaway or similar box is just an excuse to carry around more junk you seldom use. Generally they are not very secure, so everything you put in them is subject to being swiped. Makes your van a juicier target for thieves as they see an easy item to pry open.

I had one for a while. I carted a bunch of stuff around that I never took out of the box. It would bounce around and sag. Part of that was the hitch on the travato, part of it is the way the box's frame is designed.

I ended up selling it and downsizing my gear to multi-use items and eliminating the infrequently used items. Life was much better with a 2' shorter van!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
Platinum Member

JohnnyFry said in an earlier post in this thread that he had the Stowaway on a RT 210. I would love to see a picture of that from JohnnyFry or anyone else that has a Stowaway on a Roadtrek with the continental kit. I have wanted one for years but always was concerned about the extension required to get past the kit.

Pictures anyone???

Paul
Old 05-22-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doneworking View Post
JohnnyFry said in an earlier post in this thread that he had the Stowaway on a RT 210. I would love to see a picture of that from JohnnyFry or anyone else that has a Stowaway on a Roadtrek with the continental kit. I have wanted one for years but always was concerned about the extension required to get past the kit.

Pictures anyone???

Paul
As I recall, IF you have twin beds, the spare can go inside. If not, the stowaway 2 simply has a longer extension from the hitch:

Roadtrek and the StowAway Carrier: The Perfect Team | StowAway Cargo Carriers

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
Platinum Member

I have found only one photo which features the Stowaway. Unfortunately I have none detailing the hitch extension. The box swings out to allow the RH door to open and the tire to swing down.

I am unable to figure out how to add a photo to this message: Please e-mail me at john@jfreitag-dot-com and I will email it to you.

John
Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The picture-posting issues comes up a lot. Here's a tutorial.

When you hit Reply or start a new thread, there's a box you type into. Below that, in the box titled "Additional Options," there's another box that's called "Manage Attachments." The picture you want to upload must be in one of the valid file extensions listed. I usually use jpeg.

Click on the box that says "Manage Attachments." That brings up a pop-up. In the pop-up, click on "Choose File." Browse to the image you want to upload and click (or double-click) on it. The name of your picture will appear beside the "Choose File" button. You can do that for up to five images - one for each "Choose File" button in the pop-up.

Once you have chosen your pictures, click the "Upload" button. Your computer might take some time doing this, but in a little box under the "Choose File" buttons, there's a box that says "Current Attachments." The name of your image should appear in there.

When you are done, you can click on "Close this Window" at the bottom of the pop-up window.

Then, under the box you've been typing your message into, you can click either Preview Post or Submit Reply and the image will appear at the bottom.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Bud wrote: As I recall, IF you have twin beds, the spare can go inside. If not, the stowaway 2 simply has a longer extension from the hitch.

OK, here is my problem with that approach. (1) using the space available from the rear doors under the bed for storage of a spare takes up most of the room back there and that is a terrific, out of the way and secure storage area. A 16 inch mounted tire is heavy and would occupy several cubic feet of that space. (2) As I recall, the hitch extender to keep the continental spare is a twelve inch or so extender. A Roadtrek 210 is 21 feet, eleven inches long. Add ten inches for the continental spare, so the rig is now 22 feet, nine inches long. Put a StowAWay on it and add the Roadtrek, the extender and the SAW carrier and you are now almost twenty five feet long.

Like wincrasher said above, a two foot shorter van is more happy traveling van.

Just thinking about all this. And I come to the same conclusion as wincrasher. I have thought about adding one of these several times over the years and I think I will just stick with what I have and sometimes wish my 210P was a 170P!!

Paul
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Default Stowaway picture

Thank you for the information, I used "Quick Reply" and did not see the options there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stowaway 2 view.jpg (194.3 KB, 15 views)